Old 12 January 2019, 16:10   #1

Town: Toronto
Length: 4m +
Zodiac Pro II 420

I was searching for information on an old Zodiac RIB (Pro II 420) that I am considering to purchase and then I stumbled on this forum.

I don't seem to be able to find any specs. on inside dimensions and other specs. If anyone on this forum can put me onto such information, esp. the original manufacturer's information, that would be greatly appreciated.
Anyone with experience with this boat can share their opinions on it, I would love to hear it as well. We had a soft-hulled inflatable (4.5m Futura S Mark III with aluminum floorboards) that fell apart after 6-7 years and were thinking about replacing it with a RIB rather than re-glue all the glued parts coming undone. We have no experience with RIBs and the maintenance required and also we will need to take the tubes off each year for storage (no safe place or garage for storing the RIB all set up).
Thanks for any help, advice and opinions that can be provided.
Old 12 January 2019, 18:50   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
The Pro 420 or Pro 7-man are basically the same boat. It's lightweight, Strongan Duotex tubes (Thermo-bonded PVC). Uses slide on rail system that the tube collar can fit onto. Attaches at bow and stern with webbing straps. I never removed the tubes, but if you deflate them, then you can clean along the rail system to get rid of sand and other marine debris. To remove, undo the straps and haul back towards the bow. To refit, lube the rail system with Fairy Liquid (other washing up detergents are available ), align on the rail and feed towards the stern.

I have fond memories of mine. Perfectly suited for 40hp 2-stroke engine, but is rated for 50hp if you can find one.

It's got a shallow V hull so will tend to slap in the rough stuff, but we were out in the North Sea and Atlantic coastal and never felt compromised. I even managed to squeeze a Tohatsu 3.5hp auxilliary on, hence the reason a 2-stroke engine is perfect match as it has a fairly narrow cowl.

Zodiac have a pretty extensive dealer network, so plenty accessories, including bench seats, bow seat cushions, consoles, etc. We had 25 litre fuel tank under console, and another under the rear bench seat.

https://www.zodiac-nautic.com/en/sho...ro-en/pro-420/
Old 14 January 2019, 01:15   #3

Thanks Spartacus. Some good information there.
We had a soft-hulled 4.5m boat previously, which gets slapped around a bit so even if this is a shallow V hull, it probably will perform better than what we were using before.
We have an E-Tec 30hp, which worked quite well for the old boat and suspect we will get just a bit better performance for this RIB. We won't be able to afford to upgrade to a 40 or 50 (nor will be able to handle the extra weight of these engine given our application - we just can't have too much extra weight from what we had and this boat will be heavier than the soft-hulled one we had).
We will have to remove the tube each year - more work but I guess the trade off is that we can give it a good wash down to remove all the sand and mud from the waters in our area.
Good to know that there was space for 2x25 litre tanks. We have other stuff/equipment as well and would like to know how much space we are looking at. Do you remember if this old model has the same amount of deck space because it looks to be a bit smaller than the Futura S Mark II we had, which is alright but I want to make sure it isn't going to be too small for our equipment.
Are there any decent blueprint type diagrams showing the specs that I would be able to download anywhere. I can't find anything on Zodiac's website or anywhere else (there maybe something for purchase but I can't be sure because they don't even show a low res. image of what it is that I may be buying so I am not sure it is what I am looking for).
Old 14 January 2019, 09:45   #4

Town: Stratford upon Avon
JUst a quick reply at the moment. We love our zodiac 420. In uk for most places it’s classed as a tender because of it’s size so can pak anywhere in dinghy parks here is a link to a personal you tube video
https://youtu.be/RP77yls4co8
Old 14 January 2019, 16:59   #5

Thanks Bremar (always nice to see people enjoying their boats). The video does show some of what I would like to see for our potential new boat. However, I maybe looking at any older model for our use so may have slightly different measurements (I think the one I am looking at has a much more pointed bow). What year is your boat and do you have any measurements of your boat (esp. the inside measurements L x W)?
Old 14 January 2019, 21:52   #6

I found lots on the net about them
Go to
https://www.zodiac-nautic.com/en/sho...ro-en/pro-420/

And look at technical specifications for dimensions etc.

Mine is actually a zodiac pro 7 man. 2007 model I was told.

Bremar
Old 15 January 2019, 01:01   #7

Thanks. I know that website and I have seen the specs for the boat they are showing but that boat is the newest model Pro 420 which is a bit different from the older model I am looking at. The hull dimensions are supposedly similar but not quite the same and the older model I am looking at supposedly has a deep V hull and with a more pointed bow compared to the model show on Zodiac's website that you sent. What I am looking for is the original information about the boat I am looking at (I don't know year but likely pre-2000 or very early 2000s - when the boat still had a pointed hull and deeper V.
Similar is good but I would really like the actual specs so I can know our equipment and accessories will fit. Just 1 or 2cm shorter/narrower can be a real pain in the butt and cause much frustration.
Old 15 January 2019, 07:55   #8

Sorry I have No more info relating to older zodiac pro’s.
Bremar
Old 15 January 2019, 19:28   #9

RIBase
So a little more information. The Pro II 420 was in production from 1994 to 2004. More details here: https://www.western-marine.com/archi...s/pro_open.pdf

Weight:145kg, width 1.85m, rated to 40hp, not 50hp when Pro 7-Man took over.
Old 24 January 2019, 03:14   #10

Thanks for the weight and width Spartacus. I tried that link you had sent but it didn't work. Can you please check the link again?
Old 26 January 2019, 00:24   #11

RIBase
Old 26 January 2019, 04:45   #12

Thanks greatly. That worked.
However, the pdf that you provided the link to only shows the Pro Open 550 and 650 models. No Pro II 420. Do you know a similar pdf for the 420?
Thanks.

Tags
zodiac