Old 10 November 2004, 07:29   #1
Dom

Town: Southampton, Hamble
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 50
Zodiac Pro 9 - can it cope with rough water?

I am considering buying a Pro 9 for Solent use. Ii will need to get back to Hamble from places like Cowes, Yarmouth and Bembridge in lumpy wind against tide conditions, typical of the Solent. Is this boat, with a 50/60 hp engine up to that? Is the hull shape a deep enough V? They look good value for money, but only if capable in local conditions, your views please!
Old 10 November 2004, 08:21   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Dom, whilst Zodiac have an excellent reputation for quality, I just wonder if 15'5" isn't a wee bit small.

Size is everything in this class and there is a huge difference between 5 and 5.5m. I have been very impressed with P&Ks 5.5 Gemini. 50 / 60 hp would give you 30 mph in this class which will be okay, 75 hp will give little more umph to really drive through the waves.

Pete
Old 10 November 2004, 08:27   #3

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Size is everything in this class and there is a huge difference between 5 and 5.5m. I have been very impressed with P&Ks 5.5 Gemini.
Pete,

Sorry to correct you but 'P&K's Gemini' is in fact 5.05m!

I agree though - size is everything!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2004, 08:28   #4
Dom

Thanks, and I appreciate how important size is. I'm trying to get a manageable boat at a manageable price. And yes 5.5 would be better and I may have to got to that. Then I bet someone will say 'you should go for a 6.0'. My queerie really is about the V hull for the Zodiac Pro range. Is it dep V enough or should I look elsewhere at the price.
Old 10 November 2004, 08:35   #5

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
It doesn't look particularly deep from the photo on the website. The Avon Searider comes highly recommended! What is your budget?
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2004, 08:37   #6
Dom

Around £12k although would prefer to spend less as this is only for when we are not sailing.
D
Old 10 November 2004, 08:38   #7

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
Earlier this season I had a 5.5 metre Zodiac Pro Open and found it was vey limited in the seas on the North East Coast. On lakes, rivers and calm days the boat was great and had lovely manners and the quality of build meant that all aboard enjoyed their time but when the seas picked up any it became very limited. We seem to have an unpleasnant chop up here, not many big swells, but I found the hull was not deep enough. The boat slammed rather than cut into the waves and the ride offered little in the confidence stakes. AIMO
Old 10 November 2004, 08:40   #8
ADS

Town: Dorset
Did a google search and found this:
http://www.defender.com/inflatables/...eries_2003.htm

Would I be correct in saying 15'5 is 4.2M?
I have a little experience of driving a 4.2M Zodiac Pro. They have a relatively deep- v for their size but did not feel as sure footed as my shallow v avon. The one I drove had a Yamaha 30hp on which still made it fast 26 knots / 30 MPH. If I am talking about the right boat I would recommend you go for something a little bigger, although the zodiac will be fine for fair weather crossings in the solent, when it gets rough you will need a drysuit asyou will get very wet.
Old 10 November 2004, 09:10   #9

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Dom, for 12k......

.you're going to get a very nice example of most decent R.I.B makes around the 5.0 mtr mark with say something like a 70hp and above on the tail. Anything less (IMHO) just ain't worth having once you get into serious ribbing.

If you want to go longer, say 5.5 / 6.0 mtrs and above then unless you're willing to go for something old, tatty and of course dated in technology I'd either reconsider your budget or, if it were me review many of the threads on here which advise that sub 5.0 mtr RIBS are more than capable.

I'd agree with the above comment that the longer the better / smoother / more comfortable, however having owned both 4.2 mtr (Zodiac Yachtline) and 4.8 mtr (Zodiac Medline) and now 6.0 mtr (Medline II), I can advise, with experience that having cruised with bigger 7 mtr Prosports ans smaller 4 mtr Seariders, we have all left and later arrived at the same point enduring the same conditions (force 7/8) safely and at the same time. Yes some wetter than others but nether the less safely and in reasonable comfort.

I'd advise you to seek out a cruise where you'll no doubt have opportunity to jump aboard a number of different ribs.

Take a look at www.boatsandoutboards.com which is possibly the very best U.K. site for secondhand RIBS. Further, this forum contains a great many very experienced RIBsters who are more than willing to assist. You're always welcome in the North West.
Old 10 November 2004, 09:32   #10
ADS

Town: Dorset
MeMe's right about Boats and Outboards, heres a very capable RIB with one of the best engines 90HP engines on the market. Bit over budget I know but is basically as new.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/RFT015/

You say that you do a bit of sailing, I ve got a Laser dinghy as well as the RIB which I try to sail weekly but in the summer when theres no breeze and its flat calm I'd rather be on the RIB any day. However, I still enjoy sailing the laser when it's windy.
Old 10 November 2004, 09:55   #11
Dom

Thanks all the route is becoming clearer. Its going to have to be a 5.3 or something around that. I won't go bigger as have too much investment in our big boat!
Old 11 November 2004, 11:25   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Ribcraft

Without hi jacking your thread I am consiidering sellingh my Ribcraft 5.85 with 115 Fitch e mail me if you are interested . Sea trial no problem.J