Town: Macclesfield
Boat name: Aqua Fresh
Make: Zodiac Medline
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Yamaha
MMSI: 235051988
zodiac or Avon ?

Hi All

after a bit of advise, basically after the weekend RIB Raid (which was great) the wife is coming round to the idea that a bigger RIB would allow us a greater scope of adventure and safety whilst still being managable

so as i usually do i will look at all the options, evaluate all the possibilities negotiate the best deals

then buy the first thing that i see !!

we think we like the med style boats and personally like the Avon 490 se/dl with a yam 100hp on the back or the Zodiac Medline with a 70hp poss yam again

there are a couple for sale on the net (although iam not ready to commit yet as probably need to see this season out ) Avons that is and a few of the zodiacs

my questions basically are

we want seats not jockeys as most of the time it will be used for family cruises but with the possibilities of a bit of extended use

what other options are there for good family RIBs

needs to fit in the garage (quite big as its a double but you coudnt get a bike in there at the moment

engines i have good experiance of Yams and they dont seem to have ever let me down (unlike hondas CRV's CDTI are a pile of poooooh and the most unreliable piece of mechanical crap ever to roll over the earth mainly on low loaders !)

i know that there are loads of others on the market and that budgets are paramount to the choice, not looking for brand new

i do like the look of the ribcrafts

has anybody any experiance or views on the Avon 490 dl and others

thanks Andy
Old 05 July 2006, 23:32   #2

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
what sort of budget are you looking at?
Old 06 July 2006, 00:02   #3

Town: Nottingham
Length: no boat
RIBase
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a second hand RibCraft with a family type layout, most of them are commercial type layouts.

Have you thought about looking for something with a folding bolster/seat so you have something to sit on, and something to use if it's a bit rougher?
Old 06 July 2006, 08:32   #4

Town: I.O.W
Boat name: Leeway
Make: leeway 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp = 73mph :0)
take a look on this website
http://www.leewayribs.co.uk

Excellent ribs at Excellent prices.
Old 06 July 2006, 08:45   #5

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeewayComposite

Excellent plug
Old 06 July 2006, 08:56   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Quote:
Originally Posted by floater
we think we like the med style boats and personally like the Avon 490 se/dl with a yam 100hp on the back or the Zodiac Medline with a 70hp poss yam again
I used to have the Avon 580 dl sport, the one up from the 490, found it very spacious and so much storage, the 490 would have the same amount of storage as the only difference apart from the length is the 2 swivel seat for the driver and passenger next door. Those seats were very supportive and comfortable even in the chop. Also you very much sat inside it, we took our nephews out on it, aged 4 & 7 and felt very confident they were not going to fall out. Very good family boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00735.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	20703  
Old 06 July 2006, 08:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeewayComposite
http://www.leewayribs.co.uk

i have had an eye on those but as i think i mentioned before where in the north on england do you get support ?

they do look nice

budget is not fixed but not stupid either (the wife will be getting new lounge and fire place first not like last year when fire place turned out to be a Avon adventure 400 ooopps but she came round) probably around 10k plus the avon

i still dont know of anybody who has one of the Avon 490 se dls

Thanks Andy
Old 06 July 2006, 09:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy
I used to have the Avon 580 dl sport, the one up from the 490, found it very spacious and so much storage, the 490 would have the same amount of storage as the only difference apart from the length is the 2 swivel seat for the driver and passenger next door. Those seats were very supportive and comfortable even in the chop. Also you very much sat inside it, we took our nephews out on it, aged 4 & 7 and felt very confident they were not going to fall out. Very good family boat.

any reason that you changed to the RIBCRAFT 585 (which i do like but storage would be a problem ) ?

Andy
Old 06 July 2006, 09:04   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Quote:
any reason that you changed to the RIBCRAFT 585 (which i do like but storage would be a problem ) ?

Andy
Far softer ride, more stable at speed, plus wanted something a bit more rugged, and found the Ribcraft 585 to match. Plus I was looking to change to the 750 Sport and due to waiting time for production did not want to be boatless, so bought Robins 585 for the interim period.
Old 06 July 2006, 09:06   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
i have had an eye on those but as i think i mentioned before where in the north on england do you get support ?
I'm not sure (1) what level of support you think you will need. If the boat is built properly it shouldn't need much "aftercare". Probably the thing that needs looking aftersupport is the engine and any dealer should be able to do that. (2) do you actually find you get decent support from your local dealership for your avon/zodiac? I have always felt they knew very little, and were only interested in their commission for the sale - afterall they are sales people not boat builders.
Old 06 July 2006, 09:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
I'm not sure (1) what level of support you think you will need. If the boat is built properly it shouldn't need much "aftercare". Probably the thing that needs looking aftersupport is the engine and any dealer should be able to do that. (2) do you actually find you get decent support from your local dealership for your avon/zodiac? I have always felt they knew very little, and were only interested in their commission for the sale - afterall they are sales people not boat builders.

i did have a few problems with my previous Zodiac SIB which MGA sorted with out a problem

the avon do have good warrenties 10 on tubes 5 on hull and seams

although i have not had problems with it until now (previous thread )
but it is 6 years old

andy
Old 06 July 2006, 09:38   #12

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
In my experience, which.....

.......counts to 5 Zodiacs in 8 years, I guess you can guage my response.

The only thing that troubles me, is your desire to garage it. I also have a double garage, standard size I guess, but there was no way I was getting my Medline I 480 in there. When I had a 380, that just just just about made it, however, the 380YL soon went as it was not a decent family rib for much more than beach hoping.

As for bench seating or Jockey, the argument (discussion) has been had amny times. The conclusion is always in favor of the jockey when hitting the rough stuff and I'd agree, however, I've seen many a jockey set up rib turn back before my bench style med. O.K. I'm not as comfortable having to stand all the while, however, when at rest eating our butties, who has the last laugh.

You'll probubaly find the Medline just right, there are a few about but they tend to get snapped up pretty quickly as they cater for many requirements. I sold my 1999 with a 70 yam 2-stroke for £9k about 2 years ago. It recently reappeared on the net for the same price and sold for £8500.

If you buy well you can make money as I have done. I have a million pictures of most Med's so if you want any or need additional advise, please, feel free to ask.
Old 06 July 2006, 10:07   #13

Thanks MeMe

I have experience of the Medline your 11(saw that on saturday and have spoken to you before ) and i think one of your eariler ones, mate of mine called Kirk bought one of a guy on the warren with 70/75 hp suzuki !!

was that you ?

i do like them as they seem to have good sea manners but i belive are a heavy boat for there size ?

Andy
Old 06 July 2006, 10:10   #14

garage it

As for that bit it refers only to the winter storage and i was thinking draw bar removed tubes deflated

managed to get the avon in on tralier complete with drawbar and a workbench behind it !

Andy
Old 06 July 2006, 10:49   #15

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
No not me........

.........but maybe you got the engine wrong, mine was a yam 70. It found a new home on Angelsey. I was the first on the Warren with a Medline, now there are 5 - common as muck......

Yes they are heavy for their size but the compromise comes from lots of locker space, inboard fuel tank and comfortable seating. My Med I with the 70 would top 30 mph without a problem. My Med II hits 45 with ease. I cruised all theought the RIB Raid with a full tank (240 ltrs) freinds and loads of kit, at 40mph all day long.

I suppose if you deflate the tubes, remove the draw-bar and chissel a bit out of the back wall, the 480 Med I might just fit.

Keep us posted.

Nauti Bouy's Avon is also a cracker, quite pricey in my opinion (but he's loaded anyway) but a beautifulk looking bit of kit, perhaps just one step along (I refraine myself from saying "up"), from the Medline which has not been updated in many a year.
Old 06 July 2006, 11:34   #16

Avon 580 dl

thats of the things that i like on the Avon is the sleekness (?) on the rig it sort of looks sexy in rubbery way !
Old 06 July 2006, 20:20   #17

Town: solent
Boat name: wilson
Make: jeanneau merryfisher
Engine: suzuki df 70hp
his version
got the med 1, if you like balls out speed, the standing and sitting driving position are crap, and the passagers will sue you for bruised bums but the versatility of the layout is great for the family

her version
its a great little rib fast enough for bouncing over the waves and comfortable enough to pull up on the beach put up the bimini and crack open the picnic, the blue and white stripped cushions makes you stand out on the beach and she is very comfy for just laying around on sunbathing, go on get one.

i wanted the speed, she wanted the comfort, the trade of was no boat or a med 1....

i hate democracy