Old 30 April 2007, 14:35   #1

Town: Gent
Boat name: Voyager II
Make: Zodiac Medline II
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Zodiac MedlineII or MedlineII compact?

I currently own a JetSki but I would like to buy a zodiac Medline II or Medline II compact. Main goal is to have fun on the water, tubing and wakeboarding. I'll also make little day trips with my family.

The Medline II Compact needs (according to Zodiac) at least a 40hp engine. And it supports max. 115hp. This boat weighs without engine 460kg. This boat is 5.5m long.

The Medline II needs at least a 115hp engine and max a 150hp engine. This boat weighs without engine about 690kg. This boat is 6m long.

I know the Yamaha F115 sucks max 29L/h, the F150 sucks max 59L/h. These are the max consumption rates.

1. Is the Yamaha 4-stroke a good choice, or are the other brands better regarding fuel economy ?
2. Will a Medline II with a 150hp suck more fuel (and how much) than a Medline II Compact with a 115hp engine if you keep them at the same speed

I really don't know what to choose, I would like to play with my tubes and wakeboard (where fuel economy isn't such a problem because I'm tired after 1 hour ;-) , but on the other hand, I do not wish to be broke if I want to cruise with my family for a day ...

Please advise ...
Old 01 May 2007, 20:37   #2

Town: Co. Cork
Boat name: AmyClaire
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Suzuki 140 hp
I have a Medline II (6M) which is a very comfortable and solid RIB.

However, if I had to choose between the two Medline’s for towing tubes and wakeboarding then I would go for the Compact with a 90 or 115 HP 4 stroke Suzuki.

The compact is a much lighter and more manoeuvrable RIB and you would undoubtedly save on fuel costs.

On the other hand, there is more space on the 6M and it is a very comfortable RIB with loads of storage areas. As a minimum, I would fit a 140 HP 4 stroke to the 6 M.

If you intent to trailer the RIB, then you have to take into consideration the weight factor of both Ribs fully laden. (i.e. Medline II (6M) 690kg plus engine of 200kg plus 200 litres of fuel which is roughly 200 kgs) This means extra work for towing, launching and retrieving.

I hope that you will have good fun with whichever RIB you choose!

Enjoy,

Martin
Old 01 May 2007, 22:39   #3

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Why not look at Ballistic 5.5mtr with 90 etac.

Its a fast plaining hull with good seagoing abilities for inshore according to my studies and there are a few at reasonable money on Ribs for sale or JBT and no I do not work for them but I looked seriously at one but opted for teh larger 6.5 mtr with 140 on the back as I am going off shore.

The 5.5 will go many places and in snotty conditions if having to get home. Its reverse scalloped hull sems to trap air and airate easier providing a pocket of air lift which gets it going and its chining will keep it pointing where you wish better than medline due to its straight line holding.
The Etac sems to be a torquey machine which you need for towing.

Look past Medline is my suggest. If you need to know more then the 70 suzuki (4 Stroke) is very spare with its fuel consumption and will drive the compact with full family. It has a shallow v which will make steering heavier work when towing a skier.

Just my opinion lads, and I do not work for anyone in the industry.
Old 07 May 2007, 23:13   #4

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Medline II....

....if you ask me - mine is now for sale if you are interested - it can be found on boats and outboards....
Old 10 May 2007, 15:40   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Shiver
Re:

The Medline 2 was my choice. The 2 has the massive storage area under the rear sunbed useful for ski's,wakeboards and wetsuits etc..with the radar arch also a useful holding point for skiers when they're on the rear deck. I also prefer the more centralised driving position rather than feeling you're right at the back of the boat. The overall design seems to work very well and i've had no complaints after a year of ownership. However if it's an "out and out" rib you want then the Medline is less suited to wake jumping at 30+knots, and more to cruising low 20s to its anchorage, where once there it excells over other ribs.
The compact is no doubt an excellent compromise, but for me the 2 was just worth going that extra step further for.
Old 11 May 2007, 11:34   #6

It's the II

Tomorrow my new Medline II will arrive !
Thanks for all your input
Old 11 May 2007, 22:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wschoenm View Post
Tomorrow my new Medline II will arrive !
Thanks for all your input
What engine have you chosen?

Be sure and post some pics!

Enjoy,

Martin
Old 30 May 2007, 11:06   #8

Impressions of Medline II

I have 3 hours on the counter now.

It is fitted with the F150 Yamaha. But I think it needs some adjustment.

1. The steering is very stiff. I mean, at full speed you cannot turn the steering wheel, it looks like it's fixed. Do other Medline II owners also have this problem ?

2. There is a lot of water "around" the engine, at speed the water jumps up to half the height of the engine ! I don't think this is normal behaviour.

3. It also has the "chine-walk" syndrome if there isn't a lot of fuel in the tank @ full speed.

The store where I bought it, says they will lift the engine a bit and that should solve all my problems ...

Does anyone experience with these problems ?

I'll post some pics later on ...
Old 01 June 2007, 23:15   #9

Before you try anything else you have to raise the engine.

The Medline II is a fantastic RIB - I hope that you get the problems sorted out!

Then, may the sun shine!

Regards,

Martin
Old 02 June 2007, 19:07   #10

Re:

Hi,

I have the same set-up as you and i don't experience the problems 1.) and 2.) . I do experience chine-walking above 35 knots in a flat sea and sometimes it's quite severe but i rarely travel that speed so i have not bothered re-balancing the boat or trying any other measures to counter it.

Good luck with the boat
Old 05 June 2007, 10:55   #11

Re:

Hi allegria,

You mean it's easy to turn at speed with your Medline II ?

I noticed I have a black steering wheel and all the other Medlines II have a white one. Perhaps the steering house makes the difference ?
Did you do an upgrade to your steering components ?

I am very curious about the setup of your steering and engine. At what height is the engine fitted and how many free bold holes do you have ?

Do you also have the ultra long version of the Yamaha F150, or a shorter one ?

Thaks in advance...
Old 05 June 2007, 15:50   #12

Re:

Hi wschoenm,

I don't find it difficult to turn at speed on the boat. The dealer fitted a Baystar hydraulic steering system from new, as they recommended it was necessary for ease of handling.I think the Baystar is a fantastic system, and i'd certainly recommend it. The F150 is the standard engine, same as you've got i'd imagine. The balance of my boat will probaly be different since it has twin batteries. Unfortunately, the boat is currently in the south of france otherwise i'd check/measure all the mountings. I'll be down there in 2 weeks so i'll have a check then. If you have any more questions, just ask.

kind regards

allegria
Old 06 June 2007, 07:33   #13

re allegria

Hi allegria,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I suppose your twin batteries are located on the opposite side of the driver in order to keep the balance of the boat? Where exacly have you put the batteries ?

Maybe I should buy a 2nd battery and put them both on the opposite side of the driver.

I really would like to get my boat in balance. Fueling it up seems to unbalance the boat, as the fuel tank isn't exactly in the middle of the boat...
Old 06 June 2007, 21:50   #14

Re:

Both the batteries are actually located on the drivers side..which works ok since the port side contains water ski's, ski pole etc... I requested two batteries to ensure the sound system,vhf and chartplotter don't flatten one whilst at anchor. As i do alot of open sea boating, it's better to be safe than sorry!.
I've seen a number of medlines that when fueled up will list to the starboard side, i've been told this weight imbalance is countered by the prop rotation but i'm not convinced myself!.
Old 19 June 2007, 11:11   #15

back from the dealer

I went for the 10hour maintenance with the dealer. They also mounted the engine 1 hole higher. And changed the way the steering cable follows. The cable cornered to much, making it very hard to turn the boat.

The spray is gone now, and the steering is better, altough not satisfying. I ordered a hydraulic version.

The balance is still not ok when filled up. I'll probably buy a 2nd large battery and will place it on the opposite side of the imbalance.

Allegria, can you tell me at what height your engine is mounted ?
Old 20 June 2007, 09:57   #16

Re;

Driving to the boat Friday, should be able to tell you once arrived. Would be interested to hear how you get on with the second battery. The full tank balance problems seems to be a characteristic of all med2s.
Old 10 April 2008, 11:16   #17

Final result

Hi guys,

Finally I have the hydraulic steering. It's much much easier to turn. However, turning to the one side goes more smooth than tutning to the other side.

The balance problems are also solved. They were due to not enough pressure in the tubes.
The pressure gauge that with comes with the boat never changed, so I thought it was broken. But in fact there wasn't even enough pressure in the tube to move the gauge ;-)

I did not yet buy the 2nd battery, I first have to review how I will set it up. I want one battery for starting the engine and another one for the accessoires. So I can always get back to the shore ;-)

Now I'm looking for a bimini top, or better, a bimini tent. They are hard to find "for a reasonable prive".

Hints are welcome !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	medline2.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	33930  
Old 10 April 2008, 13:56   #18

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wschoenm View Post
Hi guys,

The balance problems are also solved. They were due to not enough pressure in the tubes.
The pressure gauge that with comes with the boat never changed, so I thought it was broken. But in fact there wasn't even enough pressure in the tube to move the gauge ;-)

Hints are welcome !
If you are using the original Zodiac yellow manometer, re inflate tubes so the fixed needle reaches the middle/center of the green scale. If it's a number scale reading manometer, re inflate to at least 3.0 PSI, both on water in early morning. For best performance, all tubes must have the same working pressure.

Happy Boating