Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 22 February 2012, 10:33   #21

Length: 5m +
Since you say that you reached the harbor safe, that is great news.

YOU CAME BACK SAFE.

You obviously encountered a situation beyond the capabilities of the vessel, but the vessel did not sink although the tube was detached.

I think you should be happy that you bought a rib that can do that.

Do you think that all other ribs on the market are capable of still floating after such an event ? I can assure you that some will go straight to the bottom of the sea.
Old 22 February 2012, 15:30   #22

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtaucher View Post
This tongue is demolished (you can see it on the pictures), and it was not possible to repair.
Hard to make out if you are not sure of what you're looking at. It appears to me that the tongue was torn loose from the tubes, and remained in the track?

The amount of damage seems kind of surprising to me, but it really depends on exactly what happened. It would be somewhat less surprising if you launched the boat off one wave and nosed down into the next at a significant rate of speed. From your description, you must have been moving pretty good to stuff the length of the boat.

FWIW, I have shipped a *lot* of water over the tubes dealing with large displacement wakes from whale watching boats, so it's not a one-off situation. OTOH, I usually don't try to wake hop with camcorder equipped witnesses that nearby. But those wakes can be pretty tall and steep, and it's easy to underestimate them.

Luck with your repairs,

jky
Old 15 April 2012, 21:29   #23

Length: 8m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Has it??
No! I have owned a medline 2 for many years....i have never had a problem like this and i have pushed the boat to the limit... Taking off 1.5 - 2m waves at full speed, the lot...have never had any signs of any damage like this! Maybe im lucky, but this is certainly the first case i have heard of this
Old 16 April 2012, 10:51   #24

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercanon View Post
Do you think that all other ribs on the market are capable of still floating after such an event ? I can assure you that some will go straight to the bottom of the sea.
As this is your second post, I'll open by saying be vary careful of broad sweeping statements like that. There are some out here that may be a little less understanding....

However, as most ribs have 3 or more separate sections of toob, and a hollow sealed floor, I doubt that any would go "straight down". - I discovered I had nearly half a metre of my hull - toob join down the port side wasn't stuck after a long lumpy sea trip. It stayed afloat - but I did need my wellies! (and that's the hazards of a 26 year old "pool use" boat....)

It does sound as if Abtaucher hit a particularly steep set of waves, and may have been unlucky with a manufacturing defect or the wave.

Abtaucher, if you are still here, do you get a resolution to the failure?
Old 25 July 2012, 16:51   #25

Town: Sofia
Boat name: Puthney
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude E-Tec 150
I had a similar accident with the same boat last summer.
Old 25 July 2012, 17:08   #26

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk
In summary then, it hit a wave and the front fell off?

It's more common than I had realised:

Now that, was funny.
Old 27 July 2012, 09:59   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
As this is your second post, I'll open by saying be vary careful of broad sweeping statements like that. There are some out here that may be a little less understanding....

However, as most ribs have 3 or more separate sections of toob, and a hollow sealed floor, I doubt that any would go "straight down". - I discovered I had nearly half a metre of my hull - toob join down the port side wasn't stuck after a long lumpy sea trip. It stayed afloat - but I did need my wellies! (and that's the hazards of a 26 year old "pool use" boat....)

It does sound as if Abtaucher hit a particularly steep set of waves, and may have been unlucky with a manufacturing defect or the wave.

Abtaucher, if you are still here, do you get a resolution to the failure?

Hi,

I did not mean to offend anybody, sorry.
Old 02 August 2012, 01:43   #28

Town: QUERETARO
Boat name: FUENSANTA
Make: ZODIAC
Length: 6m +
Engine: OUTBOARD, PETROL,115
I live in Mexico.
I have a Zodiac Medline II that has EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE GLUE OF THE LINK BETWEEN THE FLOATING TUBES AND THE HULL.

I use the boat to cruise in the Pacific Ocean and I have encountered 2.5 m waves. Scary. One day I noticed a leak between the floating tube and the hull. I unassembled the tubes and saw with horror that big segments of the belt were detached. I bought original PVC Zodiac glue and repaired the boat but every time I use it I notice that new segments detach again. I have NEVER BEEN ABLE TO GET ANY REPLY FROM ZODIAC. I SUPPOSE THEY ARE ON A VACATION ERA THAT HAS LASTED FOR MOST OF THIS DECADE. I HAVE TRIED TO CONTACT THEM ALWAYS WITH NO RESULTS.

What did you do with your RIB? did you repair it??

Thanks,

Victor Joubert, MEXICO

Please send me an email if you have been able to fix this annoying problem of ZODIAC. please write to victor.joubert at clinic.com.mx

example ?!??!!
US Zodiac tube failure. - RIBnet Forums[/QUOTE]
Old 02 August 2012, 07:59   #29

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercanon View Post
Hi,

I did not mean to offend anybody, sorry.
No offence taken, but as I guess your first language isn't english, it was more to be aware that "non specific disaster scenario" statements on here will usually ignite a big emotional response from some.

For example, do a search for "landrover"......

Yes, hull & toobs separationg is not a good thing, and is potentially a very dangerous scenario, but the one thing with ribs is they have lots of independant bouyancy compartments. Bottom line is you would need to do a LOT of damage for one to go to the bottom.

Granted that is no consolation to Abtaucher, Victor or anyone else whose Zodiac has fallen to pieces.

...and Victor, welcome to Ribnet
Old 02 August 2012, 12:38   #30

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Bottom line is you would need to do a LOT of damage for one to go to the bottom.
It happened in Egypt on the second running of the Red Sea Rib Rally - boat put together the night before by Egyptian numpties and a mate of mine drove it - he and his navigator ended up with a big yellow tube and no boat!

............ That's not to say it's a common thing - they were an exceptional bunch of idiots! (Not my mate who sometimes reads this forum and lives in Cornwall!)
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote