Old 22 May 2005, 04:30   #21

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2000 Tohatsu 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Yes!!!! I downloaded that video and have it saved on my harddrive. I love watching that rib bounce over the swells.
boatster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2005, 12:39   #22

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Quote:
If you want a boat for surf you NEED one of these

http://www.ribworker.com/

Look in the gallery - not ALL their boats are so ugly!!!
Looks like fantasy land to me, dream on, added it to my favourites Went to Ibiza last year and some guys were giving (well charging actually for rides) so had a go in their Riviera class Ribworker 40 very very impressive got very wet in the front seats What a fantastic job they have sea sun and an effing big rib
Old 22 May 2005, 13:15   #23

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton
Looks like fantasy land to me, dream on, added it to my favourites Went to Ibiza last year and some guys were giving (well charging actually for rides) so had a go in their Riviera class Ribworker 40 very very impressive got very wet in the front seats What a fantastic job they have sea sun and an effing big rib
Would LOVE to go on one of those - don't know if Ibiza the best place for a RIB designed to work in REALLY rough conditions but I suppose the sun makes up for it!!!

Was it a popular trip - the price on those things has to be over £100K - could take some time to recover the dosh unless pretty busy!!!
Old 22 May 2005, 15:58   #24

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Quote:

Was it a popular trip - the price on those things has to be over £100K - could take some time to recover the dosh unless pretty busy!!!
I think they only did 2 or 3 trips a day 40 Euros each, every trip was full think they did other work as well.3' swell was about the biggest sea whilst we were there, but the rib managed to create a big wake which we dived across several times as well as stopping the boat from about 30 knots to a dead stop within it's own length!!
Old 12 November 2006, 22:39   #25

Boat name: llyn raider
Make: xs
Length: 7m +
Engine: 1 200hp merc
t be honest im not that impressed withthe zodiac. iv got a 7m xs in pwllheli. and i regularly go up against one. its good but dosnt handle as well. and is a bit sluggish.
Old 14 November 2006, 04:18   #26

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Those boats are way overpriced for what they are - trust the Yanks to glamourise them like the Hummer!!!
I imagine everyone knows this, but the Hurricanes are still made in a Vancouver suburb. I went through their plant a few years ago when I was boat shopping, in part to learn why their boats cost so much. I had to be cleared in advance as they had a number of military boats in production including some 733s for the Israeli navy. Cool looking boats with machine gun mounts etc. The boats were completely black and I assumed they were for covert ops at night. The tubes would have gotten far too hot in the sun to use during the day!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2006, 17:37   #27

Town: Abersoch and Wirral`
Boat name: Pitch
Make: Zodiac CZ7
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2x Evinrude 175 Etec
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxs View Post
t be honest im not that impressed withthe zodiac. iv got a 7m xs in pwllheli. and i regularly go up against one. its good but dosnt handle as well. and is a bit sluggish.
Andy - I would agree with you about the top speed the XS is certainly quicker which is due to the weight (weight of construction plus fuel) and the shape of the hull (deeper V), but I know which I would rather be in for comfort and in a big sea plus the tubes don't come off

Jon
Old 16 November 2006, 18:15   #28

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxs View Post
Old 17 November 2006, 00:29   #29

Town: Anchorage
Boat name: Trojan
Engine: Twin Yamaha 70's
Hurricane

I don't know about the cz7, but it looks like a comparable design to the 590 which I own. The boat handles quite well, and the in rough conditions video makes me wonder if the guy driving was smoking crack, I think he could have trimmed the nose down a little better. I can make my 590 catch air off of fairly small waves like the cz7 video (i wasn't that impressed with the seas he was in, looked pretty flat to me), but I can also trim the nose down so it will stick at speed. One thing I have noticed when I compare my 590 to other ribs of the same length or even longer, my tubes are much larger in diamater and when really rough the nose is extremely hard to push under a wave during a stuff. This is good in the fact that once full of water boats become nearly impossible to bring back up to speed. The downside is the wave peircing capability blows, and everyone/thing in the boat is thrown forward voilently. The boat however isn't worth the cost for general toy use.. If I was going to spend a quarter million on a boat, it would have alimunum chambers, a cabin, a small galley, a small head and come with a bubbly blonde with big tits.

Jimmy
Old 17 November 2006, 00:34   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Beam View Post
,,,,come with a bubbly blonde with big tits.
What, you didn't get that option Jimmy? You are quite right though, the Hurricanes are a much heavier construction than many of the boats referred to on this board. I made mention of this the day I signed up....

How's the weather holding up there by the way? Have you tucked your boat away yet? Mine is going in next week...

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 17 November 2006, 00:46   #31

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Stoo Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Beam
,,,,come with a bubbly blonde with big tits.

What, you didn't get that option Jimmy? You are quite right though, the Hurricanes are a much heavier construction than many of the boats referred to on this board. I made mention of this the day I signed up....

How's the weather holding up there by the way? Have you tucked your boat away yet? Mine is going in next week...

So how does one measure how heavy ones boat is laid up. Short of taking a core plug, and I certainly don't want to do that, none of us are going to know how heavy our boats are.

can you please explain why your Hurricane is better laid up then our Ribcrafts, Ribtecs, Avons, Halmatics, etc.

I'm not in the mood for an arguement just some facts.........
Old 17 November 2006, 00:55   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
I'm not in the mood for an arguement just some facts.........
I wasn't suggesting the Hurricanes were necessarily "better", I think they just weigh more (which I presume comes from thicker hulls etc?). I came to that conclusion looking at manufacturers websites. Looking at various photos on this site, many of the boats appear to have smaller tubes compared to my boat, although that doesn't seem to be universal....

Biggles, I commented in a thread earlier (http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16561 , 3rd post) that "your" boats seem to made and sold as "sport boats" in many cases, whereas most of the boats here are more "industrial" and marketed to the Coast Guard and military primarily...

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 17 November 2006, 00:55   #33

Commercial Versions

If you have a commercial RIB, I would imagine that it is built as well as the hurricanes.. But like you said, it's hard to tell..
Old 17 November 2006, 01:01   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post

Nope.. No blonde.. I had to supply my own.. But she's not too bubbly.

I sent you a PM on the weather.. 20 degrees farenheit would be heat wave..
Old 17 November 2006, 01:17   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Beam View Post
Nope.. No blonde.. I had to supply my own.. But she's not too bubbly.
LOL... Maybe you could shake her a bit...

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 17 November 2006, 09:15   #36

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis View Post
Andy - I would agree with you about the top speed the XS is certainly quicker which is due to the weight (weight of construction plus fuel) and the shape of the hull (deeper V), but I know which I would rather be in for comfort and in a big sea plus the tubes don't come off

Jon
Have I missed something - do XS have a problem with toobs?