Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 16 April 2013, 10:10   #1
Member
 
Country: South Africa
Town: Swellendam
Boat name: dont have a name yet
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Yamahas
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6
Zodiac

Hy there boys and Girls

I just bought this Zodiac but dont know anything about this duck but ill attached some pics and if somebody knows anything about this type of duck please let me know

I know that you can remove the pontoons without any problem it slides in a groove on the hull of the boat.

here is some pics















__________________

__________________
Flippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 10:58   #2
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,582
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippie View Post
Hy there boys and Girls

I just bought this Zodiac but dont know anything about this duck but ill attached some pics and if somebody knows anything about this type of duck please let me know

I know that you can remove the pontoons without any problem it slides in a groove on the hull of the boat.

here is some pics














Looks nowt like a duck to me
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2013, 15:07   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,610
Welcome to Ribnet!

I guess that is about 5 & a bit metres? I know nothing about the boat but good choice of power!
__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2013, 02:10   #4
Member
 
Country: South Africa
Town: Swellendam
Boat name: dont have a name yet
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Yamahas
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6
Yea sorry i am from South Africa and here whe call them rubberducks or short a duck.

A friend told me i must post the rubberduck pics over here on this Forum and you guys whill probly know what the history behind this type of duck is.

but i also thought its a 5.5m or something but i would like the to know why they did the pull-out pontoons it is like you can have your pontoon ready made and if your pontoons get damaged you just pull the old one out and put the new straight on no fuss.
__________________
Flippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2013, 05:25   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,610
I think the other half of the idea is you can take them off if you want to store it somewhere very narrow.

As I;m now on a real computer, I now realise I didnlt imagine what I thought I saw on the phone last night - your Port Engine - get the anodes checked / replaced - that bubbling opaiont would hint to me there is corrosion going on there.

If ther anode (bottom of the clamp & the trim tab) is OK, it might be worth having a crawl round checking the short earth wires that connect the "boig" lumps of the leg etc. - I lost an entire powerhead on a yam because one 5cm bit of wire had broken.....

It may of course be that the two engines came from differnet sources and one has seen more "life" than the other.
__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2013, 05:57   #6
Member
 
Country: South Africa
Town: Swellendam
Boat name: dont have a name yet
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Yamahas
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
I think the other half of the idea is you can take them off if you want to store it somewhere very narrow.

As I;m now on a real computer, I now realise I didnlt imagine what I thought I saw on the phone last night - your Port Engine - get the anodes checked / replaced - that bubbling opaiont would hint to me there is corrosion going on there.

If ther anode (bottom of the clamp & the trim tab) is OK, it might be worth having a crawl round checking the short earth wires that connect the "boig" lumps of the leg etc. - I lost an entire powerhead on a yam because one 5cm bit of wire had broken.....

It may of course be that the two engines came from differnet sources and one has seen more "life" than the other.
the whas standing in storage for just ove a year and whas never looked at so that is why i got it for such a good price (R15000) and if i spend another R15000) it whil basicly be a new boat with older motors in perfect conditions.

and the value whil be around R45000 so it is a good deal.

Yes they busy removing all corrosion and respraying both motors.

the corrosion plates at the bottom is getting replaced the motors inside i getting a service and new wiring.

whe are doing everything there is, whe are not skipping anything.

i would like know some history of the duck why they did the slidding pontoons and whas it sucsesfull.

whe are gonna glue the new pontoons to the duck but just would like to know why they ventured that way.
__________________
Flippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2013, 07:36   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,610


Someone with more knowledge (Loco?) might be able to give a more official account, but I remember a chat with a dealer when I first saw them where I was told it was mainly for storage (it's amazing how small the solid bit of the hull is without tubes) & ease of replacememnt. As he pointed out, you could buy toobs in 3 colours & swap them to suit your mood!
__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2013, 08:01   #8
Member
 
Country: South Africa
Town: Swellendam
Boat name: dont have a name yet
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Yamahas
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post


Someone with more knowledge (Loco?) might be able to give a more official account, but I remember a chat with a dealer when I first saw them where I was told it was mainly for storage (it's amazing how small the solid bit of the hull is without tubes) & ease of replacememnt. As he pointed out, you could buy toobs in 3 colours & swap them to suit your mood!
Ok cool thanks whe have enough storage but thanks
__________________
Flippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2013, 13:43   #9
Member
 
Peter_C's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,485
The boat tubes are made of PVC and the glue for accessories is starting to fail. Anything glued will need to be removed and reglued with the proper two part glue. IE: the rope tie in pieces. The tubes themselves are thermo-welded and should last a good long time yet. They don't like sun so keep it under a cover or carport etc.
__________________
Peter_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2013, 16:50   #10
Member
 
columbiachop's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: Pacific NW
Make: zodiac pro 420
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tiller 25 yamaha
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 205
I think that's one of the early Zodiac Hurricane models they made before transitioning into more commercial type ribs. It's likely PVC tubes as they look the same as my zodiac pro 7. They offered hypalon at some point on hurricanes though so maybe they could be.
Depending on your local prices, retubing can be very expensive. Being able to order new tubes and slide them on yourself (or with friends) will save you a lot of money down the road on labor.
My tubes are holding strong even though they're 28 years old! Depends on sun exposure most likely.
__________________

__________________
columbiachop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.