Old 11 May 2015, 22:41   #1

Zodiac 380 Help!

Hi All,

Looking forward to my new RIB purchase. Bought a 2006 yachtline 380 with a yamaha 40 HP knowing that the speedometer didn't work. Figuring I'm somewhat handy, I thought I could troubleshoot and replace. Previous owner said it worked and then just stopped. Tachometer still works fine. I am assuming it's either a loose connection, blown fuse, or the module itself.

Maybe I'm just too new to this game, but I figured the console would come up. I can't for the life of me access underneath the gauges through the glove box. It is just too tight in there for me to see what's going on. Everything is routed so neatly with zip ties. I can't even get a wrench on the bracket holding it in because the steering module is in the way. Is there a way to get under the console (hex nuts keep spinning) or do I have to go buy a mini socket to drop the bracket and go through the console that way? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12 May 2015, 12:14   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by roons1159 View Post
Hi All,

Looking forward to my new RIB purchase. Bought a 2006 yachtline 380 with a yamaha 40 HP knowing that the speedometer didn't work. Figuring I'm somewhat handy, I thought I could troubleshoot and replace. Previous owner said it worked and then just stopped. Tachometer still works fine. I am assuming it's either a loose connection, blown fuse, or the module itself.

Maybe I'm just too new to this game, but I figured the console would come up. I can't for the life of me access underneath the gauges through the glove box. It is just too tight in there for me to see what's going on. Everything is routed so neatly with zip ties. I can't even get a wrench on the bracket holding it in because the steering module is in the way. Is there a way to get under the console (hex nuts keep spinning) or do I have to go buy a mini socket to drop the bracket and go through the console that way? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Unbolt the helm to gain clearance?
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2015, 12:43   #3

Thanks. That's what I tried. Hex bolts that look like it's holding it in keep spinning, and the back of the hex bolts are not accessible through the glove box.
Old 12 May 2015, 12:44   #4

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by roons1159 View Post
Thanks. That's what I tried. Hex bolts that look like it's holding it in keep spinning, and the back of the hex bolts are not accessible through the glove box.
Did you remove the steering wheel? There's some bolts on the face underneath the wheel.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2015, 12:54   #5

You are correct and I was going to do that, but again this being my first purchase I didn't want to do more damage. If that's the only way, I guess I'll have to. I was hoping there was something else I was missing.
Old 12 May 2015, 13:49   #6

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Before you rip the boat apart are you absolutley sure that's where the problem is. It's far more likely to be a blocked or broken pito on the front of the engine leg or the transom of the boat..... Has the tube just came off under the transom bracket?
Old 12 May 2015, 13:55   #7

I am not 100% sure what the problem is, but if what you were talking about true don't you think there would be some indication on the speedometer? When I turn the key on, the tachometer illuminates, however the speedometer doesn't at all.
Old 12 May 2015, 14:12   #8

If it's a digital speedo then yes I'd expect some kind of indication it's powered up, but generally they're nothing more than a pressure gauge with a tube running to the back of the boat either to a Pito mounted at the bottom of the transom (basically a hard plastic tube with a hole facing forward) or this is often built into the engine leg, again just a small hole facing forward below the cavitation plate with the tube leading up from it under the engine's transom bracket......worth a look?
Old 12 May 2015, 14:14   #9

I will absolutely take a look thanks. I'll also add that this is used for the fuel indicator as well and that's not powering up either. Traced the wire back to the tank and that looks fine.
Old 12 May 2015, 15:11   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Need to figure out what drives the speedo (digitally driven or pressure.)

Is there a plastic or rubber tube, about 1/4" diameter (maybe slightly larger), bundled with the wires going into the console? If so, it's pressure driven. The pressure is derived from a small hole in the front edge of the lower unit. As you move forward, water gets forced in the hole, pressurizing the air in the tube, and that is read as speed and displayed accordingly. As Tango said, it's common for the pitot hole in the leg to become blocked; it's also not uncommon for the tubing to come apart at some point of the run (sucks when it''s off the back of the gauge, as you then have a small jet of seawater spurting into the console.)

If your gauges aren't getting power, I'd be looking at reseating connectors before doing anything else (especially if it's multiple gauges.)

jky
Old 13 May 2015, 08:17   #11

Sounds like you've got one of those Yamaha multifunction LCD gauges. As JKY says, you're going to have to check the connections. I'd guess that it'll have a multi-way connector rather discrete connectors. You'll have to get a "pin-out" for the plug and check that your getting 12v on ignition control and the ground is intact. Don't mess about with the tank sensor line.....potentially dangerous. Bad news, I've encountered two of these with this problem and both of them were faulty gauges.
Old 16 May 2015, 11:14   #12

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Undecided
Gauges

There should be in line fuses to Both the tachometer and speedo inside the console. They are in black rubber connectors that are part of the Yamaha harness. Not the easiest to change but it can be done.

Good luck with your new toy!