Originally Posted by Bigmuz7
...so what would most of you peeps do ?
Here's what I think I would do assuming it's an outboard fire and having watched the RNLI videos...
* Assume control
* Get the crew as far away as possible (that could be in the boat or out of it - to the upstream or to the side of it - depending on the circumstances of fire and sea state)
* Send a MayDay alert through the handheld or fixed radio if still working
* If safe to do so, tackle the fire with the fire extinguisher/fire blanket
* If safe to do so, disconnect the battery
* If safe to do so, deploy the sea drogue from the front to keep the smoke and flames downstream of any crew members still on board
* Work on the basis that the survival of the crew is paramount, the survival of the boat is irrelevant