Old 08 July 2009, 21:13   #21

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
UV or rust on the clip will do in a strap long before being wet will "rot" one out.
You just couldn't launch by braking on most of the slips I use anyway, some of them are pretty narrow and steep with bends and full of weed.
Reversing a trailer IS a skill you need up here as well as a bit of commitment to know you can actually get down and up again
Old 10 July 2009, 09:52   #22

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Having undone everything, and I mean everything, at the top of the slipway, and with two or three of them still in the boat, the trailer was reversed towards the water whereupon the tow vehicle braked sharply and the RIB shot off the back of the bunk trailer and into the water
I have seen this done, thought hmm looks cool, then did it myself, then though about it. There are so many ways that this technique could and has gone wrong. I do not launch boats this way now and strongly discourage others who wish to ape apparently cool people launching "commando" style as some dubbed it.

As said you are totally out of control should you need to abort the launch-so you cant.
I've not seen any combos pulled into the water yet, what a pickle to get into!
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2009, 14:28   #23

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Spare Rib
Make: Zodiac/Bombard
Engine: 90hp Yamaha
Quote:
I do not launch boats this way now and strongly discourage others who wish to ape apparently cool people launching "commando" style as some dubbed it.

As said you are totally out of control should you need to abort the launch-so you cant.
I think that's being a bit precious. Using the inertia of the boat to help launch is perfectly valid. Some slip/trailer/boat combinations make launching quite difficult without dipping tow vehicles' wheels. Never tried it with a bunked trailer but with rollers it only needs a gentle run of a couple of yards then firm braking. Easy enough to test the grip first and compensate if needed. I also always (well nearly always) dip the trailer first with the winch strap attached, drop the engine and make sure it starts, then do it for real.
Old 10 July 2009, 16:40   #24

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
The time I saw it go wrong was with a roller trailer, the car ended up underwater.
It is possible to set up a roller trailer to make it easy to push off the boat, just takes a bit of setting up.
I don't care if anyone thinks it worth the risk, its a free world at the moment but I won't standing anywhere near it when they do and don't blame me for laughing out loud if it goes wrong
Old 11 July 2009, 09:13   #25
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
....I must have removed the winch strap to get the bow line off and then not reattached it. ......there but for the grace of God..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
I do not launch boats this way now and strongly discourage others .............you are totally out of control should you need to abort the launch-so you cant. I've not seen any combos pulled into the water yet, what a pickle to get into!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
I think that's being a bit precious.
I'd bet Simon B's precious winch strap is secured though
Old 11 July 2009, 11:29   #26

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I'd bet Simon B's precious winch strap is secured though
Errr well... we did have one come off once so an improvised bimini twist type knot/mess had to be used till we got home when it was sewn back on, sold like this later not had any abusive posts from Tim M so assume it held up ok.

Dont get me wrong "comando" style looks pretty cool and is quick but when I launch it's one less thing to worry about, it does not suit a steep slip. I had one instance of someone releasing the the winch at Swanage befroe we were close enough (I'd stopped to check how much further to go back) - cue scraping sound as boat launched itself.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote