Old 17 August 2012, 17:34   #41
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
I took a look at these buoys today and there were boats anchored inside the yellow buoys which are very long way off shore and cannot be claimed as for swimmers protection
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2023.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	71265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2025.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	71266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2026.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	71267  
Old 17 August 2012, 18:36   #42

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Didn't realise they were mooring bouys, EH will be impressed with that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2023.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	71268  
Old 18 August 2012, 04:25   #43

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS
I took a look at these buoys today and there were boats anchored inside the yellow buoys which are very long way off shore and cannot be claimed as for protection
Interesting point,
Wonder what the legal( duty of care ) outcome would be if some swimmer drowned going too far out to the bouyed off area so far from shore thinking that because its a swimming area its safe to do so or is there any safety cover lifeguard ect .
Old 18 August 2012, 05:00   #44
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Didn't realise they were mooring bouys, EH will be impressed with that
Yes two were used as mooring buoys, one being a J109 yacht who had folded his spinnaker around the forestay, we were able to help him with a yacht skipper with me

There were about three boats moored with anchors inside the area still a long way from shore, but there was a very small red SIB/RIB from a yacht pulling kids in a ringo in this area
Old 18 August 2012, 06:08   #45

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
If they were to mark a swimming area they'd be much smaller and more of them, my guess these are marking a boundary and the next step will be EH trying to enforce a no go zone as they're not content with just stopping boats landing on the beach, they want rid of them from view.
Old 18 August 2012, 09:05   #46

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
If they were to mark a swimming area they'd be much smaller and more of them, my guess these are marking a boundary and the next step will be EH trying to enforce a no go zone as they're not content with just stopping boats landing on the beach, they want rid of them from view.
...unless they are of genuine Victorian design and construction and crewed exclusively by people in period dress - preferably with scurvy and syphilis.

Although to be fair things like the refinery are more of a problem for the view than a few boats.
Old 18 August 2012, 10:44   #47

Town: Basingstoke
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Engine: Evinrude 175
All quiet is osbourne bay. Megaphone man is without his megaphone and standing arms crossed on the beach. 3 boats anchored 50 yards from the shore. Only problem is the suns not shining now we are here
Old 18 August 2012, 12:22   #48

Town: Kings Lynn
Boat name: Blow 'N' Away
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You've hit the nail on the head, they set a precedence and then get a bye law, exclusion by stealth.

One day your life will flash in front of your eyes...Make sure it's worth watching!
Paul Cannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2012, 19:00   #49

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
Sooo How many ribs can we line up across the beach lol
Old 19 August 2012, 17:53   #50

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Went and had a look at the buoys in Osborne Bay yesterday. I was surprised how far out from the shore they were.

No sign of megaphone man. We did enter the buoyed area, after checking carefully for long distance swimmers, just to see if he would jump out from under the shrubbery :o)
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2012, 15:45   #51
RIBnet supporter

Well English Heritics sorry Heritage have changed the yellow buoys in Osbourne Bay and they are now even further out and labelled as "swimming area". Well having seen some clients swim to the shore from yachts and cruisers this swimming area is massive and I would say generallly way to far out to be safe.

If EH are assigning this as a swimming area (forget the RYA and legalities of doing so) where are their lifeguards and rescue options? They have identified this area for swimming but the tide flows very fast out that far!

Safe to say there are still boats anchored inside the area today and no one can stop them.
Old 14 October 2012, 22:05   #52

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Bete Noire
Make: Humber Assault 5m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 50hp
QUEEN'S HARBOUR MASTER PORTSMOUTH

LOCAL NOTICE TO MARINERS

No 77/12
PERMANENT MARKER BUOYS OSBORNE BAY

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN by the Queen’s Harbour Master Portsmouth, that four yellow permanent lit marker buoys will be laid in Osborne Bay Friday 12 October 2012 replacing the temporary buoys in the following positions:
Buoy 1: 50 45.445N 001 15.225W
Buoy 2: 50 45.425N 001 15.190W
Buoy 3: 50 45.405N 001 15.156W
Buoy 4: 50 45.384N 001 15.122W
Mariners are advised to keep clear of these marker buoys in the approaches to Osborne Bay.
Cancel this Local Notice To Mariners Mon 15th Oct 2012 (1 days)
Thu 11th Oct 2012
Semaphore Tower
HM Naval Base, Portsmouth.
N J Hare
Commander Royal Navy
Queen's Harbour Master

Queen's Harbour Master - Portsmouth - Local Notices To Mariners
Old 14 October 2012, 22:12   #53

Make: XS // Delta
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
That's good wording - so they're laying 4 buoys and your advised to keep clear of the buoys, nothing about going inside them though...
Old 15 October 2012, 06:23   #54
RIBnet supporter

Agree Tony, we kept well clear coming I'm from theEast and leaving western side close to fort, we passed two boats at anchor inside. Not sure that notice tells you do do anything else.
I guess RYA are still involved advising that access cannot be stopped
Old 15 October 2012, 06:45   #55

Since the LOCAL notice is cancelled today, I'm assuming some non-LOCAL notice is taking over? (since they are described as permenant).

My guess will be the non-local version will define the entry rules...
Old 15 October 2012, 07:14   #56

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post

If EH are assigning this as a swimming area (forget the RYA and legalities of doing so) where are their lifeguards and rescue options? They have identified this area for swimming but the tide flows very fast out that far!

It's a private beach the legal bit is as you have to pay to use the beach then as the operators of the beach EH should have a duty of care to said users in the provision of lifeguards or making the beach as safe as possible .
Tim
Old 15 October 2012, 08:05   #57
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin View Post
It's a private beach the legal bit is as you have to pay to use the beach then as the operators of the beach EH should have a duty of care to said users in the provision of lifeguards or making the beach as safe as possible .
Tim
Would their argument not be that this is exactly what they are doing? Their risk assesment says risk from mixing swimmers and boats so they are segregating them? Since when did every beach need lifeguards?
Old 15 October 2012, 09:16   #58
RIBnet supporter

I will be interested in the outcome of this popular area. It is clear the RYA have challenged EH and advised members accordingly that this is presently unenforceable.
I agree that we all need to take care in area but mostly this has been an anchoring area for yachts and boats of all sizes and regular swimming from these boats with floating lines to the stern to aid them back to their boats when tides are strong

I quote from RYA

Gus Lewis, head of legal and government affairs at the RYA, said: "We have received a number of reports from boaters that they have been instructed by a representative of English Heritage from the beach in Osborne Bay that they are not allowed to anchor in or close to the marked swimming area.

"Clearly, if there is an area marked out for swimming then boaters will need to take particular care if they choose to navigate or anchor in this area. However, English Heritage has no authority to prohibit anchoring anywhere in Osborne Bay and its staff have no power to require anchored boats to move.

"We have written to English Heritage to challenge the actions of its representatives in demanding that boats anchored in Osborne Bay are moved."

The bigger picture for me for EH is enforcement and also safety cover. They have nominated a very large area for swimming including an area where a private dwelling on the beach is (small fort). The distance out is to these buoys is huge and further I guess then those marked in Poole Beach areas.
I agree that beaches dont all have safety cover, but this has been marked as a swimming area after opening said beach to the paying public and therefore they will have a vicarious liability (I believe)
Old 15 October 2012, 09:26   #59

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
On a private beach unless its a very busy resort type of beach I don't think it's compulsory to provide lifeguard or rescue boat cover as long as risk assessment has been done ,
Duty of care !
Public rescue equipment fitted or available on site such as life rings or throw bags & a first aid kit and telephone may cover that .

Perhaps loud hailer man armed with a first aid certificate & a lifering under his arm & a permanent Red danger flag flying may cover them on that one ,,
, after all as the old saying goes. The best lifeguard is the one that keeps dry & doesent get his feet wet !
Old 15 October 2012, 12:07   #60
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
I don't believe that there is any liability for anyone. We've had yellow marker buoys out at our beach for years (although not this year for some reason) to separate swimmers from boats - but no lifeguards.

We have a seasonal beach patrol (not allowed to go into the water) - which allows the beach to get it's 'Blue Flag' status (ticks the box for provision of first aid etc) - but if anything happens in the water, it's the inshore lifeboat that sorts it out.

Unfortunately a child drowned in the surf a couple of years ago - but it wasn't deemed the council's problem/fault/responsibility at all.