Old 28 May 2018, 09:02   #1

Town: Liverpool
Length: no boat
Yam f115 cooling....peehole

The engine has fun faultlessly for the last ten years, sometimes the only way you can tell its running is that the water is coming out of the pee hole. Yesterday while coming into harbour the engine overheat alarm came on and the pee stream had stopped flowing. We waited ten mins, unblocked the pee hole with fishing line and reestablished the water stream.The engine has run faultlesly since. Does anyone know how the water-cooling system/flow/pee stream work. How can simply unblocking the pee hole reestablish the cooling system??? Nik
Old 28 May 2018, 20:06   #2

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Engine: all types
The water coming out the tell tail is not the water that’s cooling the engine. My guess is you have had a plastic bag wrapped around the front of the engine.
Old 28 May 2018, 20:24   #3

Town: Toronto
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 115XB
Quote:
Originally Posted by matata View Post
The engine has fun faultlessly for the last ten years, sometimes the only way you can tell its running is that the water is coming out of the pee hole. Yesterday while coming into harbour the engine overheat alarm came on and the pee stream had stopped flowing. We waited ten mins, unblocked the pee hole with fishing line and reestablished the water stream.The engine has run faultlesly since. Does anyone know how the water-cooling system/flow/pee stream work. How can simply unblocking the pee hole reestablish the cooling system??? Nik

When I have had similar happen it was actually in a fairly weedy river channel. In my case though the outlet stopped because the intake was clogged up and the overheat warning started to go off. Any chance that happened in your case?
Old 01 June 2018, 12:28   #4

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Every Yamaha 4stroke 100 or 115 I've owned had a tendency to block the tell tale with salt once in a while. Scared the wits out of me the first time I experienced it. It ususally only occurs after it's sat for a while, flusing with fresh water helps prevent it but it may still occur.
Just clear the hole with some fishing line or better still strimmer line to restore the orignal full size and you'll be good to go. Don't use anything metallic as it's only a rubber hose inside that nozzle.
Do it with the engine running so it blows the debris clear.
Note, if you have a horn or guage temperature warning as well as a blocked telltale then you should shut down immediately. Plastic Bags adn seaweed can easily block the intakes and you will destroy the engine if you ignore those warnings.
Old 01 June 2018, 12:34   #5

Town: Keyhaven
Boat name: Orion
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Honda 50HP
After having sucked up mud and locked the tell tail, I now keep a good length of strimmer wire in the boat.... Use it every so often to keep things clear.
Old 01 June 2018, 14:21   #6

Town: Liverpool
thanks for all replies.. spool of trimmer line now part of the on board kit! Nik