Old 05 June 2003, 08:25   #11

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
To Be Seen or Not To be Seen?

Hi everyone,

Well as the rest of the replies, I carry Nav lights plus Gas operated fog horn. However, not been on the water to experience visibility poor enough to use them.

However, I would not like to be runing around in a fast Rib when conditions are that bad.

Surely we are not that stupid or am I being too naive?

From what I heard over radio at the w/end the same cannot be said for some yachties who were so determined to get on the water they forgot all the safety rules of good seamanship.

I feel for the poor sod who has to go out and rescue them when it all goses wrong.

regards

Old 05 June 2003, 08:59   #12

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Hi Manos
Yes, it is a bit pricey 382.00 to me in CI. I have put a number of questions to the manufacturer and will post these as soon as I have had a reply.

Cheers

Old 05 June 2003, 10:38   #13

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Fog

We ran into very heavy fog at the weekend 30 miles of Cherbourg, The fog did not clear until we were 3 miles out of Cherbourg harbour, It was quite scary being in the shipping lanes especially as we did have a radar reflector fitted at the time. A few ribs nearly got hit by a fat ferry and a huge tanker that was traveling in the lanes. I ran through the fog at 20 knots , my idea was that if your going to crash into a ferry it doesnt matter how fast your going.

Radar reflector is now fitted, would like a radar at some point as well

Julian
Old 06 June 2003, 02:45   #14

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Fog At 20Knots

Hi Julian,

Following on from your note, The yatch that was sliced in two by a tanker in fog last week had a radar reflector on top of his mast.

The 2 Tankers that collided in the English Channel Had Radar

The second ship that collided with the sunken tanker had Radar on!

Enough said I think

Happy playtimes & Safe Fun even in FOG.

Regards
Old 06 June 2003, 06:42   #15

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
OFFICIAL REPLY - Sea-Me

I posed a number of questions to Peter Munro (MD) re the Sea-Me. Here is the answer which is self-explanatory:

Dear Charles,

Thank you for your interest in the Sea-me Radar Target Enhancer.

SOLAS 5 requires all boats, where practical, under 150 tons to carry a radar reflector or other means (eg a radar target enhancer) to enable detection by ships navigating by radar at both X and S Bands. It also requires ships over 300 tons to carry X Band radar and those over 3000 tons also to carry S Band radar. It follows that X band is the predominant radar.

From my discussions with the masters of ships over 3000 tons I believe that you are right to say that they will use both radars - this is certainly true of the Condor ferries for example. It is also fair to say that S Band is better than X Band at penetrating very heavy rain although this advantage only occurs in very heavy rain. It is worth noting that X Band, because the wavelength is shorter, has better resolution than S Band. This is why targets appear "blobby" on an S Band screen and why they can in fact merge together.

The legal interpretation of the SOLAS reflector requirement has yet to be tested in the courts and so the definition of "if practical" is not clear. The requirement does not specify the performance of a reflector and so it is not clear just what we are supposed to put up the mast. My own view is that I want to maximise my radar visibility. At X Band I can do this by using a target enhancer whilst at S Band I can only, today, use a passive reflector. Personally I use both, which is both the best I can do to meet SOLAS 5 and which also means that I have maximised my chances of being detaected by the predominant radar, X Band.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Peter Munro
Old 06 June 2003, 09:08   #16

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
Yes ships do collide with radar and with radar reflectors. The problem is that radar does not stop you hitting something it just shows it up on the screen. It requires someone to be watching which is the law but does not always happen. Having a radar reflector can not heart you all it can do is make you more visible. I try to carry as much saftey kit as possible.

Question

How many more ships/ boats would colide if no one had a radar reflector?