Old 21 August 2005, 23:06   #1

Town: knebworth
Boat name: phoenix
Make: xs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115 opti
Send a message via MSN to mark-f Send a message via Skype™ to mark-f
xs600

finally collected my xs600 with 115 opti a couple of hours before i was due to go to scotland, just got back after using it on loch Earn for a couple of weeks and must say it was worth the wait, cant wait to take it out of calshot next weekend... if anyone sees me say hi...... its got orange glasswork and blue tubes and a double console.

will try and take a few pics to post here.

Mark
Old 21 August 2005, 23:20   #2

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Told ya she'd be ready!!

Lookin forward to seein the pics.

What kinda top end did you get out of her? Have always wondered how the 115 and 150 Optis would compare as the 115 is a lot lighter! The blue with orange is quite a striking colour scheme too. She looks good I bet!
Old 21 August 2005, 23:30   #3

yep Laurnece just managed to get it ready for me in time, a couple of electrical problems that they are sorting out this week for me like low oil in external oil tank ( strange as the 115 does not have an external one) and they cant get the paddle wheel and pitot to work togther.

flat out one up on a dead calm day i managed to get 46kn out of it at 5800 rpm, then the limiter cut in :-(

I too was looking at the 150/115 options and went for the 115 as its lighter and not as thirsty, did over 160nm and averaged 2.8 so not too bad :-)

Mark
Old 21 August 2005, 23:40   #4

46kts!! Wow that's impressive, only 4 down on the 150, but I can't pull top revs (need a 19" Laser).

Just sounds like the smartcraft isn't set up right with your electrical probs. I could go through it with you if you want, but If they're gonna sort it for you there's not much point. Sounds like the 115 is quite economical too, is that 2.8 nm/litre? Bet she drinks a lot more when she's loaded though?
Old 23 August 2005, 18:40   #5

Hi steve,

yep your right, I went for the same smartcraft instruments as on the v6 and they did not know they had to set up the outboard to know it had the extra sensors as well as the smartcraft instruments, still almost sorted now :-), and yep your right, load up the boat and the top end drops like a stone, still enough to play with and if i get board will have to chuck the crew out and have a blast.

Mark
Old 23 August 2005, 20:21   #6

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Opti gauges are so easy to set up, dont know why dealers can do it. All you have to do is callibrate the gauges and switch off anything thats not fitted to the boat. So your engine and gauge will be looking for an external oil tank, but as you dont have one it thinks there is a fault with the sender. Just turn that function off ( In CAL 1 ).
Much easier than the old instruments.
Old 23 August 2005, 22:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-f
load up the boat and the top end drops like a stone, still enough to play with and if i get board will have to chuck the crew out and have a blast.
That's probably where the difference is between the two engines so, as there's not much of a gap in performance. When I load mine up she drinks a bit more fuel but doesn't really lose much top-end speed. Probably somethin to do with torque.

Do you mind me asking how much the extra gauges cost and if you upgraded to a stainless prop? if so how much extra?

It's just that I'm speccing a an XS-600/115 Opti for a buddy and will get them if they're reasonable enough? PM me if you want
Old 24 August 2005, 21:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Opti gauges are so easy to set up, dont know why dealers can do it. All you have to do is callibrate the gauges and switch off anything thats not fitted to the boat. So your engine and gauge will be looking for an external oil tank, but as you dont have one it thinks there is a fault with the sender. Just turn that function off ( In CAL 1 ).
Much easier than the old instruments.
The probs I had was :- external oil level, they could not get the paddle wheel and Pitot working together, sensor fault and TPS fault. and estimated range not displayed. apparently there was a faulty sensor and the rest was as you say config, hopefully will pick it up tommorow with it all sorted.

Mark