Old 14 October 2014, 22:08   #21
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I'm no boating vat expert but, you should only be able to reclaim input vat on purchases which will lead to vatable output supplies. As a result my understanding is input vat could only be claimed on a boat if the boat was being used commercially (and coded accordingly).
Old 14 October 2014, 22:17   #22

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I'm no boating vat expert but, you should only be able to reclaim input vat on purchases which will lead to vatable output supplies. As a result my understanding is input vat could only be claimed on a boat if the boat was being used commercially (and coded accordingly).
Good point Poly. Also the depreciation of a boat over the first few years is more than the value of the VAT.

Plus when you sell it you will have to charge VAT on the secondhand sale price?
Old 14 October 2014, 22:39   #23

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:

....or the company can buy the rib, claim the entire VAT amount back under the Capital allowance for plant and machinery (assuming it costs more than £3k) and make it available for use by employees, excluding any form of hire or reward (commercial use).

HMRC states the following:

'To qualify for plant and machinery allowances, all the following must apply:

you must have incurred capital expenditure on the provision of plant and machinery that is used wholly or partly for the purposes of your business.

You must own the asset in question as a result of incurring that expenditure

the asset must not be something you buy and sell by way of your trade, although you might eventually sell it for some other reason - you may then have to make an adjustment to your capital allowances.

The asset must also not get used up in producing what you sell or supply by way of your trade

the asset must generally be expected to last for more than two years'

ps: I'm not an accountant.
Old 15 October 2014, 07:38   #24

Town: poole
Make: lomac
Length: 4m +
Engine: petrol
Quote:
Hi yes your correct but we do have a contract with the National Trust on Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour that we need to be able to access by boat if required thus we are legitamely able to do this

Cheers

Andy
Old 15 October 2014, 07:39   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
....or the company can buy the rib, claim the entire VAT amount back under the Capital allowance for plant and machinery (assuming it costs more than £3k) and make it available for use by employees, excluding any form of hire or reward (commercial use).

HMRC states the following:

'To qualify for plant and machinery allowances, all the following must apply:

you must have incurred capital expenditure on the provision of plant and machinery that is used wholly or partly for the purposes of your business.

You must own the asset in question as a result of incurring that expenditure

the asset must not be something you buy and sell by way of your trade, although you might eventually sell it for some other reason - you may then have to make an adjustment to your capital allowances.

The asset must also not get used up in producing what you sell or supply by way of your trade

the asset must generally be expected to last for more than two years'

ps: I'm not an accountant.
No accountant but your exactly right !
Old 15 October 2014, 08:02   #26
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyces View Post
No accountant but your exactly right !
Possibly, although I'm sceptical that without the information you've added about your Nat trust contract that it ticks the 'used in the line of business' part.

Does it become a benefit in kind if used personally too?

Have you had a vat inspection, they are pretty thorough. I'd want it in writing from my accountant so that if an inspector disagrees you can show you were acting on advice. If they think YOU are taking the p they will dig deeper and deeper.

Quote:
Hi yes your correct but we do have a contract with the National Trust on Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour that we need to be able to access by boat if required thus we are legitamely able to do this

Cheers

Andy
Presumably you've looked into the coding requirements for using your boat for this?
Old 15 October 2014, 20:14   #27

Town: Lancashire
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Whispers advice is sound.
Just something to consider. Most have advised on jockey seats.
I've had 4 ribs. My Avon adventure decision was influenced by my wife who wanted something more leisure based - Bench seats etc,
Turned out to be what she wanted and not what we needed.
As soon as it chopped up and you exceeded 15 knots, the bench seat became an uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous place to be. The occupants choosing to stand and hold on to the back of the 2 jockeys.
Even my wife couldn't wait to get rid. Her only request on next boat....."make sure it has 4 jockey seats"!
Most people sit on tubes or side on the jockeys when fishing.
Old 15 October 2014, 20:59   #28

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
a mate has an xs500 and i`m very impressed by it! 4 jockey seats not sure its big enough for a bench seat though ?
i know ribx have a demonstrator for sale but clueless on performance ..looks nice mind and they are a british company
safety wise i sandwich my 4 year old daughter on a jockey seat and it tends to work well for us with the mrs strapped on a fishing box as a suicide seat
Old 15 October 2014, 22:32   #29

Town: Plymouth
I'd suggest you go look at each model 3 or 5 years old. See how they've aged. It might just help you decide, based on re-sale value when your ready to upgrade.
Old 16 October 2014, 08:26   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingosucks View Post
a mate has an xs500 and i`m very impressed by it! 4 jockey seats not sure its big enough for a bench seat though ?
i know ribx have a demonstrator for sale but clueless on performance ..looks nice mind and they are a british company
safety wise i sandwich my 4 year old daughter on a jockey seat and it tends to work well for us with the mrs strapped on a fishing box as a suicide seat
Yeah sounds like a plan maybe not strap the Mrs on the suicide seat haha!
Coming round to the thought of jockey seats I see ribeye manage to squezze a bench seat behind the jockey seats for passengers
Old 16 October 2014, 12:06   #31
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
I would suggest ribeye 500 (well I would as I like them)too but new you are nearly twice your budget
Can't quite see your budget streching to a new 5m with trailer!
Quote:
Would like a ribeye too but would rather move on from a rib if i was spending that much.
I have the deal on the new XS500 already quoted and within budget with trailer and mercury engine just a case of finding out a bit more about them and having a go in one before i commit
Is the Ribeye really twice the price of the XS?

How does the spec compare?
Old 16 October 2014, 17:52   #32
sib

Town: bath
Boat name: -
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: -
XS, yes no probs with that brand...good, solid and well priced.
Old 16 October 2014, 21:13   #33

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Is the Ribeye really twice the price of the XS?

How does the spec compare?
Big difference in standard specification, Ribeye do put a very comprehensive package together!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2014, 06:04   #34
Administrator

Indeed, and I know which I'd prefer

It's a big difference in price though. If you take the motor out of the pricing, which I guess is somewhere around half of the OP's budget and will be near enough the same in both packages, that makes the Ribeye three times the price of the XS. That buys a whole lot of finishing touches!
Old 17 October 2014, 11:50   #35

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I saw a xs 500 at the dublin boat show about 5 years ago. I was impressed with the robust nature of the build. It had a 60 hp outboard with a big foot gearbox. I would have thought that a big foot gearbox was a stange gearbox type for an rib

TSM
Old 17 October 2014, 13:06   #36

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
XS are a good strong boat, which handles well and quite forgiving, but as with any boat does have limitations, having said that a sensible helm's limitations are usually less then the boats. They have plenty of potential for customisation, i.e. seating arrangements, S/S et al. I personally would not want a Bench seat on a 5m.. The 500 is not from the new sports range but from the original designs, you also have a choice of tube material as well. And before anyone asks YES I have driven a XS 4.8 through to 8.5.
Old 17 October 2014, 14:44   #37
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
If you take the motor out of the pricing, which I guess is somewhere around half of the OP's budget and will be near enough the same in both packages,
There is nearly £2k difference between the RRP cost of a Yamaha F80 and the equivalent Merc.
Old 17 October 2014, 16:02   #38
Administrator

From figures that I have researched the real world difference looks to be more like a grand. If we said £8k for a Yam and £7k for the Merc, and allow another £1k on each package for the trailer, then at £15k all in the XS costs £7k.

If the Ribeye package is £30k then the boat itself works out at £21k, which is three times the price of the XS. Do you reckon those figures are about right?
Old 17 October 2014, 16:51   #39
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
From figures that I have researched the real world difference looks to be more like a grand. If we said £8k for a Yam and £7k for the Merc, and allow another £1k on each package for the trailer, then at £15k all in the XS costs £7k.
aye near enough although I hope you work out my bonus with more precision! You are assuming Ribeye discount their Yams as much as other vendors do! They may not see the need to because they don't let you pick an engine vendor so are removed from the competition.

Quote:
If the Ribeye package is £30k then the boat itself works out at £21k, which is three times the price of the XS. Do you reckon those figures are about right?
The Ribeye price list is here: http://www.espar.co.uk/Images/PDF-Ri...s-JAN-2011.pdf it is a little out of date, but sounds like its not changed much.

XS helpfully provide their price lists too XS Ribs Pricing for Boats Accessories, Packages New Inflatable Craft, Download PDF Price List Specification - that shows the bare XS500 at £8695 inc VAT

But yes the Ribeye is eye-wateringly expensive for a 5m boat! Not sure how the two hold their relative resale value.
Old 17 October 2014, 17:01   #40
Administrator

Quote:
I hope you work out my bonus with more precision!
Have I ever got it wrong? Those calculations are much easier anyway