Old 24 November 2005, 14:51   #1

Town: Cowes
Length: no boat
XS versus Solent

Am currently trying to decide between these two RIB's and it's not easy.

XS is a 700 (7.2m) with a beam of 2.6m and the Solent is a 7.5m with a beam of 2.4m. The XS has a Yamaha Z200 and the Solent an Opti 200. Layout is bow cushions, console with front seat, 2 x single jockey seats plus bench at the rear plus A-frame and the usual bits and bobs. Quotes for both are within £200 of each other. For another £1650 I can swap the 2-stroke Yam for a 4-stroke 200 on the XS. Boat will be kept in a marina and used all year round in the solent.

Any opinions? This is my first RIB so If I am missing something important let me know!

Solent Ribs

XS Ribs

Cheers!
Old 24 November 2005, 15:00   #2

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Ideally try them at sea. I may be able to arrange a try on an XS-600 is that helps (Early Satuday - Solent).

Do you have much boat handling experience? What do you want to use the boat for primarily?

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2005, 15:06   #3

Town: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by britemp

XS is a 700 (7.2m) with a beam of 2.6m and the Solent is a 7.5m with a beam of 2.4m. The XS has a Yamaha Z200 and the Solent an Opti 200. Layout is bow cushions, console with front seat, 2 x single jockey seats plus bench at the rear plus A-frame and the usual bits and bobs. Quotes for both are within £200 of each other. For another £1650 I can swap the 2-stroke Yam for a 4-stroke 200 on the XS. Boat will be kept in a marina and used all year round in the solent.

Any opinions? This is my first RIB so If I am missing something important let me know!

Solent Ribs

XS Ribs

Cheers!
I do not know what your budget is but you could consider my Parker 750RS with Mercury Verado 225 (overall beam is 2.75). Layout: wide Patrol console, 2 x two man jockey seats, each with backrests and side supports, bench seat, A frame,

The rib is at Littlehampton marina and ready for testing/demo

Have a look at Ribs for sale where you will find the full spec, price and some photos
Old 24 November 2005, 15:30   #4

Town: midlands /lymington
Boat name: bit o blue
Make: solent
Engine: suzuki 175
MMSI: one day
Quote:
Originally Posted by britemp

Solent Ribs

XS Ribs

Cheers!
After a lot looking and sea tests I have ordered a solent 6.5. (due in feb-06)

every one I have talked to that have a solent are more than pleased

give lee a ring at solent and go for a spin

steve
Old 24 November 2005, 15:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Ideally try them at sea. I may be able to arrange a try on an XS-600 is that helps (Early Satuday - Solent).

Do you have much boat handling experience? What do you want to use the boat for primarily?
Hi - really appreciate the offer, but I've tried an XS and did my PB2 on a Solent 6.9! They are very closely matched in many areas, hence the dilemma.

I have years of low speed experience with shaft-drive 40' boats on the Norfolk Broads and a little experience of RIBS and outdrive motorboats.

I want the boat for transport around the solent, for fun and for carrying parents/girlfriends/my labrador. I live 5 mins from East Cowes Marina.

Cheers.
Old 24 November 2005, 15:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre

Have a look at Ribs for sale where you will find the full spec, price and some photos
Will have a look, thanks.
Old 24 November 2005, 15:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve b
After a lot looking and sea tests I have ordered a solent 6.5. (due in feb-06)

every one I have talked to that have a solent are more than pleased

give lee a ring at solent and go for a spin

steve
Did my PB2 on a Solent, so am probably more familiar with them than any and was impressed, but also impressed with XS.

Life's tough!

Cheers.
Old 24 November 2005, 17:36   #8

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
All we can say is

we're happy with our Solent!

Us
Old 24 November 2005, 19:07   #9

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens
All we can say is

we're happy with our Solent!

Us
And I'm happy with my XS too!!

There are plenty of threads on here about both types, so a quick search will bring up hours of reading. Really they are both very good RIBs, and TBH I think it should come down to your own personal opinion rather than anything else! Can you get an Opti with the XS?? or does it have to be a Yam?

If you've any questions re: XS-Ribs I'll be happy to answer. Have mine now nearly 2 yrs and its never missed a beat.
Old 24 November 2005, 19:19   #10

Town: Isle of Wight
I'm really pleased with my Solent 6.5. Difficult choice. Remind me who manufactures the XS .

Having a local builder and outboard service agent is something I'd recommend you seriously consider.
Old 24 November 2005, 20:13   #11

Town: Fareham
Which one would cope the best in really rough conditions?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2005, 20:15   #12

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
A good question Andy.

Ours did fine in big stuff at the Swinge

missus
Old 24 November 2005, 20:32   #13

Town: Fareham
I only ask because the Solent looks a much more sporty than the XS which looks much more traditional and rugged. I must say that for the smaller size of RIB upto say 6m's the XS does it for me and the extra beam is much more desirable.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2005, 23:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbw156
I'm really pleased with my Solent 6.5. Difficult choice. Remind me who manufactures the XS .

Having a local builder and outboard service agent is something I'd recommend you seriously consider.
Ok this is something we don't yet know. But that doesn't mean that they're not well built. The official line is that they are a major UK hardboat builder with huge production capacity. The service from Barnet Marine is top notch as well. I live in Cork, yet whenever I need anything or have any queiries they're the first people I ring and are normally quicker than my local service guys.

I never really considered Solent when buyin our first RIB, probably because I prefer the more traditional rugged type (Redbay, Tornado, Excalibur, Delta) like Hightower said. I've a sneaking suspiscion that the XS is better in the rough, but probably is not as quick/light a hull as the Solent.

There's an XS-750, XS-850 and XS-950 being launched at LBS '06 so the 750 is probably a better comparison with the Solent 7.5. Might be worth the wait.

Like I said before though, it'll be your personal opinion that will be the deciding factor.

One factor to consider if you didn't already know is that the XS has PU (polyurethane, not PVC!!) tubes and the Solent has Hypalon tubes.

Just opened a can of worms there (sorry!! ). Different people have different opinions on this. Been discussed many times before. PU is by far the better for fade resistance and abrasion resistance and tends to look new for longer, but is a lot harder to glue than Hypalon, it's still possible, just more complicated.

So how confused are you know??
Old 24 November 2005, 23:54   #15

Worth a look.

XS: (top 2 are Andy's PR photos for Barnet Marine)

http://www.badviz.com/Galleries/XS600/index.htm
http://www.badviz.com/Galleries/ClubRib/index.htm

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5805
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5237

Barnet Marine:

http://www.badviz.com/Galleries/XS600/index.htm
http://www.badviz.com/Galleries/ClubRib/index.htm

Solent:

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....ghlight=solent
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....ghlight=merlin
Old 25 November 2005, 06:37   #16

Town: Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
Ok this is something we don't yet know. But that doesn't mean that they're not well built. The official line is that they are a major UK hardboat builder with huge production capacity. The service from Barnet Marine is top notch as well.
Yep, I agree. I was told the same by Barnet Marine. However, knowing who was going to make my RIB was important to me. It was also fun to visit the factory at milestone points in the build process to actually see my RIB take form.

It really is down to personal opinion and your specific requirements. There are many happy XS and Solent owners on this forum.
Old 25 November 2005, 07:14   #17

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Ok this is something we don't yet know.
Err, "What do you mean ‘we,’ white man?"
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2005, 11:44   #18

Quote:
Can you get an Opti with the XS?? or does it have to be a Yam?

If you've any questions re: XS-Ribs I'll be happy to answer. Have mine now nearly 2 yrs and its never missed a beat.
Thanks for that - I have a quote from Barnet Marine for the XS with a Opti 200 but if I go the XS route I would prefer to buy from my local supplier on the IOW, Kevin Mole and he only does Yamaha. Is there much difference between an Opti200 and a Yamaha HPDI 200 as I am being quoted similar prices between the two. Should I spend the extra £1650 and get a 4-stroke Yamaha 200? Must admit that outboards a re a bit of a mystery to me - not even really sure how many strokes I need!

Cheers.
Old 25 November 2005, 11:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
I only ask because the Solent looks a much more sporty than the XS which looks much more traditional and rugged. I must say that for the smaller size of RIB upto say 6m's the XS does it for me and the extra beam is much more desirable.
Did my PB2 on a Solent with a F6 coming back from Hamble to Osborne Bay and it took it in it's stride, unlike my knackers which swapped places with my kidneys until I learned to brace myself a little above the jockey seat over the big ones!

I perceived the XS to have a slightly softer ride, but there wasn't a lot in it. I do however like the idea of the extra beam though, as I'm quite beamy myself!
Old 25 November 2005, 11:52   #20

Quote:

One factor to consider if you didn't already know is that the XS has PU (polyurethane, not PVC!!) tubes and the Solent has Hypalon tubes.

Just opened a can of worms there (sorry!! ). Different people have different opinions on this. Been discussed many times before. PU is by far the better for fade resistance and abrasion resistance and tends to look new for longer, but is a lot harder to glue than Hypalon, it's still possible, just more complicated.

So how confused are you know??
Oh great! I can't even decide what engine I need, now I'm worried about the type of polymer the tubes are made from!

Thanks!