Old 04 December 2015, 10:33   #1
mrr

Make: XS ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: mercury F 150hp
XS Ribs 650 - sea keeping capability

Does anyone have experience with the XS 650 rib?
Would u be comfortable in this RIB if you were caught in rough conditions 80 miles offshore... ?
Is it a good rough sea RIB?
Is it a "dry" hull?

Any comments on the XS 650 are welcome. Thanks!
Old 04 December 2015, 12:42   #2

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Hi,

Why don't you contact Ferrien at Mertrade and ask about the Parker 650

see Offer - Mertrade.nl
Old 04 December 2015, 13:20   #3
mrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Hi,

Why don't you contact Ferrien at Mertrade and ask about the Parker 650

see Offer - Mertrade.nl
I don't know parker ribs. What does a parker rib offer me what humber or xs ribs cannot? Is Parker a better rib? Or similar at a better price?
Old 04 December 2015, 15:14   #4

Town: Yeovil
Make: Honwave
Engine: Mercury 15hp 4T
80 miles offshore in a Rib ?
Old 04 December 2015, 15:33   #5
mrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar View Post
A good RIB is very safe and seaworthy. They crossed the Atlantic in a RIB (also in a Kayak). Did the circumnavigation of Britain in 4.8 metre RIBS. Sail to the arctic circle from the Uk in a humber ocean pro 6.3.
With a descent RIB 80 miles offshore should not be a problem at all if the crew is upto the task.

These guys went even further, 3500 nautical miles in an 11 metre RIB!
Old 04 December 2015, 15:43   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by scar View Post

Aye, why not?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 December 2015, 15:54   #7

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Its a fair way out in a rib when you think that St Kilda is only 41 miles from Benbecular, so its going to be lonely!!
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 December 2015, 16:15   #8

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
80Nm in a straight line gets me best part of the way to the land of the garlic munchers.
Old 04 December 2015, 16:24   #9
mrr

Please comment on my question about the XS Ribs.
Thanks!
Old 04 December 2015, 16:59   #10

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
Ive been in a 650 and was very impressed. Very dry boat in the solent chop . Options look great as well!
Old 04 December 2015, 17:40   #11

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr View Post
Please comment on my question about the XS Ribs.
Thanks!
Very good build quality the one I sat in not been to sea in one but some good YouTube footage including a boat being built solid construction.
Old 04 December 2015, 18:10   #12

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
I have an XS 5.85 essentially - its 1998 vintage and still going strong and looking remarkably new still. Quite light rib for the size of it. Light and beamy can make it a bit flighty when the strong wind gets underneath it.

Had a hairy day of fun doing 20 miles into a 50mph south westerly that had been blowing for a couple of days. 3.8m swell height and 8 second period then if I remember correctly. I think any rib would have found that ride a bit damp!
Old 05 December 2015, 10:27   #13

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Looks like the "delux" version only has a 110ltr tank? That'll take you the 80Kn offshore but it ain't going to get you back.....
Old 05 December 2015, 10:48   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Would u be comfortable in this RIB if you were caught in rough conditions 80 miles offshore... ?
Is it a good rough sea RIB?
Is it a "dry" hull?

Any comments on the XS 650 are welcome. Thanks!
XS ribs are reasonably well respected as functional well built boats rather than fancier "consumer" styled boats. They are in some ways very tornado like - which is not too surprising if you track back their history. I'd consider one for long distance cruising. Do I think any 6.5m rib will be "comfortable" in rough conditions 80 miles off shore? No. But that might be my definition of comfortable and rough! If I had one would I take it cross channel, across the irish sea, or to St Kilda - yes in reasonable weather. If that was something I had to do in bad weather then I'd want a bigger boat.

Quote:
I don't know parker ribs. What does a parker rib offer me what humber or xs ribs cannot? Is Parker a better rib? Or similar at a better price?
Define better? I guess you can flip that question round. What does XS offer (since you've narrowed it down to that) which other builders don't? For what it is worth if I was looking for a 6.5m long distance cruising rib Parker would be on my short list.

Quote:
A good RIB is very safe and seaworthy. They crossed the Atlantic in a RIB (also in a Kayak). Did the circumnavigation of Britain in 4.8 metre RIBS. Sail to the arctic circle from the Uk in a humber ocean pro 6.3.
With a descent RIB 80 miles offshore should not be a problem at all if the crew is upto the task.

These guys went even further, 3500 nautical miles in an 11 metre RIB!
11m is a very different proposition to 6.5m. Circumnavigating britain is very different to 80 NM offshore (i.e. 4+ hrs from land in bad weather) in rough weather. I'm not sure the artic circle trip was "comfortable" - they had twin engines and two boats, each with suspension seats - and I think they will only briefly have been more than 80 NM offshore in a well picked weather window.

Its probably worth mentioning that not every offshore rib trip goes to plan even with a good boat and very experienced crew: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...powerboat.html
Old 05 December 2015, 15:01   #15
mrr

Thanks for your feedback and information
I come from the world of Himalaya climbing. Have been in remote area's of our planet at high altitude where any form of resque is not possible. Even if you bring the most sophisticated tech up there to call for help, a helicopter cannot get you and people cannot either if you are in a 3000 feet vertical Himalaya wall of ice and granit, a long way from the nearest civilication. From that perspective, 80 miles or 200 miles is only a few hours from the shore, and a well planned trip with good equipment could be done within all reasonable safety limits.

The article you linked is a very interesting one. If I understand correctly, some of the crew did not wear their drysuit at the moment of the accident. But apart from that they were wel trained and organised and able to call for help and to be rescued.

I never said I would leave the harbour in anything less then perfect conditions. Even if you leave the harbour with sunny weather and a flat sea, prepare for te worst.

So I try to learn from other's experiences so I can make a better judgement which rib to buy. Now I realize I should not have asked that question on this forum which is my mistake. Most ribbers don't have the ambition, survival skills, experience and confidence to go this far from the shore.

An 11m RIB is indeed a very different proposition, but these guys made a trip of 3500 nautical miles and 600 nautical miles from the nearest shore (lissabon). I won't try that in a 6 metre RIB It is just an example what can be done with the right equipment and crew.

The XS 650 seems to be a nice rib with descent sea keeping abilities, easy to trailer etc. I did not narrow down my choice to this XS RIB only. (I never wrote, I am considering XS rib only and nothing else). There is loads of others and I consider several of them like the humber ocean pro 6.3. I don't consider parker because I do not know this brand, or anyone who owns a parker.

Anyone wants to share their XS 650 experiences with me?
Or Humber or ribcraft 6 metre RIBS if you like? (or parker??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
XS ribs are reasonably well respected as functional well built boats rather than fancier "consumer" styled boats. They are in some ways very tornado like - which is not too surprising if you track back their history. I'd consider one for long distance cruising. Do I think any 6.5m rib will be "comfortable" in rough conditions 80 miles off shore? No. But that might be my definition of comfortable and rough! If I had one would I take it cross channel, across the irish sea, or to St Kilda - yes in reasonable weather. If that was something I had to do in bad weather then I'd want a bigger boat.

Define better? I guess you can flip that question round. What does XS offer (since you've narrowed it down to that) which other builders don't? For what it is worth if I was looking for a 6.5m long distance cruising rib Parker would be on my short list.

11m is a very different proposition to 6.5m. Circumnavigating britain is very different to 80 NM offshore (i.e. 4+ hrs from land in bad weather) in rough weather. I'm not sure the artic circle trip was "comfortable" - they had twin engines and two boats, each with suspension seats - and I think they will only briefly have been more than 80 NM offshore in a well picked weather window.

Its probably worth mentioning that not every offshore rib trip goes to plan even with a good boat and very experienced crew: We thought we'd had it, say crew of exploding powerboat - Telegraph
Old 05 December 2015, 15:24   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I think the problem is not so much the distance you propose travelling (Alan Priddy posts on here from time to time, there are many round Britain, and round Ireland, cross channel, Irish Sea etc veterans on here) it is the fact you were looking for comfort in rough seas. rough Sea state has a very specific meaning, most waves will be up to 4m high, but you should expect to see some 8m waves. Now if those are conditions you are expecting to be in, 80NM from shore you are probably more than capable of sea trialling the boats you are interested in to assess their sea keeping.
Old 05 December 2015, 15:46   #17
mrr

Quote:
I think the problem is not so much the distance you propose travelling (Alan Priddy posts on here from time to time, there are many round Britain, and round Ireland, cross channel, Irish Sea etc veterans on here) it is the fact you were looking for comfort in rough seas. rough Sea state has a very specific meaning, most waves will be up to 4m high, but you should expect to see some 8m waves.
Sorry but this is not what I wrote. It is a misunderstanding. My question was:
I mean comfort like confidence that the boat is upto it (I know this depends on the crew as well). I mean comfort of the mind. Not comfortable in the meaning that it is an easy trip without getting hammered.
No way I would be out in 8 metre waves. That would be a huge misjudgement.

I have been on a 180 feet fishing vessel in 38 knots wind on the North Sea. It was very rough, though 8 metre waves??

Quote:
Now if those are conditions you are expecting to be in, 80NM from shore you are probably more than capable of sea trialling the boats you are interested in to assess their sea keeping.
Unfortunately not every rib manufacturer offers a sea trial at this moment. Humber does not during december to februari.
Old 05 December 2015, 16:45   #18

Town: West Sussex
Quote:
I do not want to hijack your thread but Greenpeace Holland after testing Black Magic a Parker 650 in the Solent did not waste much time and promptly completed the purchase
Old 06 December 2015, 08:39   #19

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Are you buying new or second hand? If it's the latter then you should be aware that many XSs go out with PU tubes rather than Hypalon. This may not be a consideration for you. But worth noting.

FWIW I did my PB2 in a variety of XS ribs belonging to the RYA at Cumbrae. I was impressed with them and they were on our list when we bought the Redbay.
Old 06 December 2015, 09:51   #20

I have had a xs 650 for a 4+ years from new and have used it for teaching and cruising. I have found it to be a good sea boat, and has always treated me well in rough conditions. mine is slightly under powered with a 115 opti max. So far no issues with build quality.

Tags
rib