Old 06 December 2015, 10:09   #21

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I do not want to hijack your thread but Greenpeace Holland after testing Black Magic a Parker 650 in the Solent did not waste much time and promptly completed the purchase
I wouldn't hold your breath with this one Andre. I feel that he's shoeing Pirellis here.
Old 06 December 2015, 17:06   #22
mrr

Make: XS ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: mercury F 150hp
shoeing pirellis ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I wouldn't hold your breath with this one Andre. I feel that he's shoeing Pirellis here.
Explain ???
Old 06 December 2015, 17:25   #23

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr View Post
Explain ???
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2015, 17:58   #24

Quote:
Explain ???

You're being cut a lot of slack here, probably as English is not your first language. In short, your questions are going around in circles, you don't take onboard the answers which you are being given and you're blunt to the point of being rude.

It would appear that you've made up your mind, so go buy the thing.
Old 06 December 2015, 18:05   #25
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
You're being cut a lot of slack here
Explain???

Term "to cut some slack": to allow someone to do something that is not usually allowed, or to treat someone less severely than is usual
Old 06 December 2015, 18:18   #26

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
Its gonna feel the same half a mile from shore as it is 500 miles to shore. Depending on sea state. I took my 4.8 Ribcraft in a Force 8 this weekend and never did i feel compromised as did the two SR4s i was with. As long as its equipment with 200 litres fuel tanks to cope with an 80 mile offshore jaunt then for me the answer would be yes it will be fine!
Old 06 December 2015, 18:28   #27
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Its gonna feel the same half a mile from shore as it is 500 miles to shore.
I'd suggest (respectfully) that it would probably feel much nicer 500 miles from shore - or anywhere out of the effect of a shelving bottom and coastal currents.

80 miles offshore is a good way in a 6.5m RIB. MRR has not said what conditions he feels are stormy or what he defines as comfortable. In my book, I wouldn't feel comfortable in any RIB in conditions that I would describe as stormy. I understand that English is not MRR's first language and that therefore something may have been lost in translation. That said, more information would be useful regarding his plans for the XS. If he just wants a RIB capable of handling a rough passage, saying so would be helpful as it eliminates the other issues.
Old 06 December 2015, 18:40   #28

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I'd suggest (respectfully) that it would probably feel much nicer 500 miles from shore - or anywhere out of the effect of a shelving bottom and coastal currents.

80 miles offshore is a good way in a 6.5m RIB. MRR has not said what conditions he feels are stormy or what he defines as comfortable. In my book, I wouldn't feel comfortable in any RIB in conditions that I would describe as stormy. I understand that English is not MRR's first language and that therefore something may have been lost in translation. That said, more information would be useful regarding his plans for the XS. If he just wants a RIB capable of handling a rough passage, saying so would be helpful as it eliminates the other issues.

You should get a job in the diplomatic corps!!👍👍

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2015, 18:41   #29

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
A good RIB is very safe and seaworthy. They crossed the Atlantic in a RIB (also in a Kayak). Did the circumnavigation of Britain in 4.8 metre RIBS. Sail to the arctic circle from the Uk in a humber ocean pro 6.3.
With a descent RIB 80 miles offshore should not be a problem at all if the crew is upto the task.

These guys went even further, 3500 nautical miles in an 11 metre RIB!
Mrr

I think you have answered your own questions really anything is possible as above since your into climbing and the extreames that throws at you apply the same to the craft you will need, what are the expedition guys using, camel trophy, rescue services, month halls for instance bought a Humber, artic challenge rib magazine Humber, redbay, delta, tornado, ribcraft, ribquest all good boats all can be built to suit your needs.shock seats and pods offer a totally different ride to normal seating wrap around consoles offer shelter in bad weather the list goes on.ribquest for instance have a new hull out the super sport by all accounts very capable, lot of research need for 80 mile trips good luck with your search.

Cheers
Old 06 December 2015, 18:46   #30

Quote:
. I took my 4.8 Ribcraft in a Force 8 this weekend and never did i feel compromised.
Wind speed alone is fairly meaningless, particularly in a confined body of water such as the upper reaches of the Bristol channel. Wind speed along with direction and more importantly, distance of fetch would give a more accurate picture of sea state.
Old 06 December 2015, 19:00   #31

Town: Nijmegen
Boat name: Scary Canary
Make: home-built
RIBase
I have had some enjoyable hours on an SX650 on the very choppy IJsselmeer. Because the lake is very shallow (2 to 4m) but about 30 km wide the waves are notoriously steep and close to each other.
The XS behaved beautifully, especially since most people advice much longer boats so that the boat would bridge several waves. In those conditions I would favor it over a RibEye 785.

To me, a low steep wave that is high enough to go over the bow is much more frightening than a longer and higher wave. With high waves you get warnings, the steep ones surprise you. A bit like the waves you get when the wind suddenly picks up, blowing against the water flow.

So yes, I do like the XS. (And no, English isn't my first language)
Old 06 December 2015, 19:11   #32
mrr

Make: XS ribs
Engine: mercury F 150hp
Quote:

We live in different countries, different languages and different cultures. When someone on the forum compares an 80 mile trip with St Kilda then I have to look that up on google maps. There might be so many English and Scottish Ribbers on this forum that it is expected to be the standard knowledge and culture on this forum.

I asked information about Xs ribs because there is not much to find about XS. Several forum members gave their impressions about Xs ribs which is very helpful. Some might have thought I am not interested in other brands. There is loads of reports and reviews and other information about Ribcraft, Humber, osprey and many others. I did not make up my mind, but there is so many rib brands, I cannot consider them all. I was very surprised that the first reply on my posting was like "why don't you contact (...) and ask him about (brand Y) with a link straight to the seller. If people say I am blunt to the point of being rude then what is that reply to my first posting? And being blunt to the point of being rude against UK standards, it might be very hard to understand that people from other cultures and language are not able to put the same nuances in their English writing. Try to write down your posts in German or Dutch and then it is easy for me to comment about your behaviour.

Let's give this a rest.
Wish you all a good time in your RIB.
Many thanks to all ribbers who gave me information about their experiences in their XS rib.
Old 06 December 2015, 19:12   #33

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
particularly in a confined body of water such as the upper reaches of the Bristol channel.
Or even in Bristol Harbour Mollers!! however Old Harry and around the coast is a tad different blowing a South Westerly
Old 06 December 2015, 19:17   #34

Quote:
Or even in Bristol Harbour Mollers!! however Old Harry and around the coast is a tad different blowing a South Westerly
It's been blowing SSW here for most of the weekend, which would put it close to offshore up there, but hey-ho.
Old 06 December 2015, 19:19   #35

Town: Nijmegen
Boat name: Scary Canary
Make: home-built
RIBase
Thatī s two completely different questions, and you are not clear which one you want answered.

Quote:

So I try to learn from other's experiences so I can make a better judgement which rib to buy. Now I realize I should not have asked that question on this forum which is my mistake. Most ribbers don't have the ambition, survival skills, experience and confidence to go this far from the shore.
Which question do you want answered? Is the XS650 a good RIB? Or what do you need to take that RIB 80 NM offshore?

Most RIBbers exhibit proper seamanship and they don't WANT to go this far from the shore.
Most fun activities are a bit risky, but if risk is the essence of the fun of your activity you indeed need to be on another forum.

If you want advice on the safest way of going 80 NM offshore you have to give us more input. If you don't realize that I strongly suggest a basic RIB course.

I had a very interesting ride on the IJsselmeer during a short 8 Bft summer storm with hailstones etc. It was a calculated risk if I could get out of the harbour before the front arrived.
Never felt unsafe as I was properly prepared. Would I have felt the same way with my customers still on the boat? NO! Would I have felt save 80 NM offshore? Probably not, even with all the usual gadgets.

You will be surprised with the knowledge on this forum but you need to ask the right questions and give us the right information and exhibit a will to listen and learn. (and perhaps ignore, but that's another discussion)
Old 06 December 2015, 19:24   #36
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
I was very surprised that the first reply on my posting was like "why don't you contact (...) and ask him about (brand Y) with a link straight to the seller. If people say I am blunt to the point of being rude then what is that reply to my first posting?
Ah! That would be Andre, the Parker agent - his first language isn't English either. I wouldn't worry too much about language, many on here don't understand my Engirish, but I struggle on.

How about you tell us what your plans for the RIB are and we tell you more about the X.S.? I've seen a couple....
Old 06 December 2015, 19:27   #37
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaplanning View Post
Thatī s two completely different questions, and you are not clear which one you want answered.

Which question do you want answered? Is the XS650 a good RIB? Or what do you need to take that RIB 80 NM offshore?

Most RIBbers exhibit proper seamanship and they don't WANT to go this far from the shore.
Most fun activities are a bit risky, but if risk is the essence of the fun of your activity you indeed need to be on another forum.

If you want advice on the safest way of going 80 NM offshore you have to give us more input. If you don't realize that I strongly suggest a basic RIB course.
That's what I meant to say
Old 06 December 2015, 19:29   #38

Quote:
- his first language isn't English either. I wouldn't worry too much about language..
Jeux sans frontiers!! It's a knockout.
Old 07 December 2015, 09:32   #39

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Ah! That would be Andre, the Parker agent - his first language isn't English either.
Let me correct you on those two points

firstly, I am not a Parker agent as I am a Director of A.H.Parker & Sons (Gt. Britain) Ltd the parent company of the Parker Group

secondly, English is my first language
Old 07 December 2015, 11:25   #40

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Thank the Lord that Wilfish didn't post on this one then !

Strange thread anyway ! For my part Scar sort of said it all in post #4 , with Aquaplanning posting a rather more eloquent version laterly .

Tags
rib