Old 16 June 2012, 07:51   #1

Town: Saltash
Make: Ribcraft 4.8 shiny
Length: 4m +
Engine: ETec 60. Very shiny
MMSI: 232017023
Xpro defender RIBS

Hi all
Anyone come across the XPro defender RIBs made by Seaswift boats in Newton Abbott area?
I would like some feedback on build quality and perfromance from someone who uses one, rather than someone selling one.
Cheers
Old 16 June 2012, 08:41   #2

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by congerman View Post
Hi all
Anyone come across the XPro defender RIBs made by Seaswift boats in Newton Abbott area?
I would like some feedback on build quality and perfromance from someone who uses one, rather than someone selling one.
Cheers

Hmmm well the name sounds good
Old 16 June 2012, 09:33   #3

Town: sheffield
Boat name: vyper 2
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: petrol 115 optimax
Xpro

Hi there
Bought a xpro defender 420 sib for going to the pub in, bought it from Dave through eBay I bought the used demo one which he used at show but when I collected it was brand new in a box & had to unpack it to get her in the disco 3

What can i say but I love it it's build quality and additional extras you get with it are fantastic
I currently have a 6.4 Ribcraft & a 6.8 Ribcraft which are coded and a Humber 5.3 so have
Been around the block with ribs

For now I'm just running in a new mercury 3.5hp four stroke & I'm getting 6-7 knots the boat is very stable and you feel very confident in it when moving around the boat
Planning on fitting a 15hp mariner fourstroke to her when it arrives into dealership so should be great

I did collect mine from Dave and all I can say is I was impressed with the build quality of the 5 & 6 metre ribs he has

I noticed you are in saltash I am too so if you would like to have a look/ sea trial my 420 just pm me it will be good to hook up with a fellow rib netter

John
Old 16 June 2012, 10:18   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Reading the website, I get the impression that they don't actually make any boats, but rather import them. This wouldn't put me off them in itself, but be aware that the manufacturers of the RIBs may be different to that of the SIBs etc.
Old 16 June 2012, 11:45   #5

Town: Saltash
Make: Ribcraft 4.8 shiny
Engine: ETec 60. Very shiny
MMSI: 232017023
Tx all
Local boaty just told me they are made in China and shipped over
Old 16 June 2012, 13:56   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Coast
Boat name: PLAYER 1
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: OB/P/250
MMSI: 235090989
RIBase
Like everything else - so that doesn't mean they are any less good depending on the local quality control. Have heard some horror stories about air voids in Chinese made hulls though...

The French made tubes on my Zodiac were sh*te though...(unless they were also made in China)
Old 16 June 2012, 17:17   #7

Town: Devon
Make: Lomac
Engine: Honda 50
As you can see from my piccies, I have an X-pro RIB. I have owned several hard boats, RIB's and SIB's in recent years, and feel qualified to give an honest appraisal.
As mentioned, the boat is made in China, but commissioned by Sea Swift in the UK, including layout configuration and fit-out. It is early days, but I am satisfied with the build quality of boat, and the X-pro appears to be well put together - the latest composite construction is used to ensure the robustness of its structural design.
My particular model, a 5.2m with engine well, self draining decks and under-floor rigging, has plenty of deck space for fishing trips, but other X-pro models offer deeper freeboard and bigger tubes to handle persuits that might see rougher conditions. Please feel free to ask any specific questions.
The biggest attraction of this brand is the genuine commitment by the team at Seaswift/X-Pro to provide a boat that suits your specification and budget. I cannot praise Steve and Dave enough, and their determination to get things right is very refreshing in today's distributor-based market. Their commitment also shows a genuine belief in the brand, and in its market position. In other words, the boats might be constructed in China, but full ownership of the brand is handled in Devon. So, my recommendation is to give Seaswift a call, arrange a visit to Kingsteignton, and judge for yourself. It won't be a wasted trip - unlike many distributors that sell from a catalogue, there will always be a couple of hulls to look at. The range covers everything from light alu-hulled tenders to roll-up air-floors to 6.6m offshore RIB's.
In terms of handling and performance, my 5.2m RIB planes easily at 3,000rpm, and feels stable in slight to moderate conditions 5 miles off shore in Lyme Bay.
Fittings are strong and well thought out, but a little more attention to detail could improve cosmetics. Again, Seaswift are happy to take suggestions on board to improve this. My closing comment would be that words to describe X-pro RIB's are practical, functional and fantastic value for money. Don't expect luxury fit-outs with porta-loos and striped cushions for this price, although I am sure Seaswift could source them if that is what rocks your boat!
Old 09 August 2018, 13:36   #8
Stu

Town: Brixham
Boat name: N/a
Make: 3D tender
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 50
I agree, I have an xpro defender 4.2 aluminium hull with a 50hp mercury outboard and only last weekend on the 4th and 5th of August 2018 had a successful trip from Brixham to Cherbourg and back again.

6.5 hrs to get there.......5.5 hrs to get home.

RAW to say the least but boy old boy did we enjoy ourselves.

If it floats it's a boat and if you can't handle it don't go out.......You'll give up before the boat does.!
Old 09 August 2018, 13:55   #9

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Tx all
Local boaty just told me they are made in China and shipped over
They used to be Highfield dealers .......... but I think they only sold them for about 12 months ..........

I heard they sold the moulds for their Seaswift boat range and were importing Piscadores ...........

I remember when they started at Kingsteignton Ind Units, then they moved to Cannon Rd (Heathfield Ind Est), and now they have moved to Ruby Farm units.
Old 09 August 2018, 14:28   #10

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Oceanfirst Marine are importers of this range now - I had a go on their alu hulled 430 safety club rib (the red one) this is marketing as a 3D Tender boat; the 420 is marketed as XPro. Please bear in mind I am a bit of a novice when it come to ribs (have fallen out of a few diving) but it was a fun little thing. They are based in SE Cornwall
Old 09 August 2018, 14:29   #11

RIBase
Oh and was told they all come from the same factory as Highfield
Old 09 August 2018, 18:38   #12

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I have the Defender 55, which is out of the same stable. Still looking good and holding together well.

Built by Dave at Sea Swift using the imported hull and XS / Highfield supplied internal fittings.

For the price they seem great boats, will they last if used every day in a school / commercial set up? Maybe not but for my 20 or so days out a year it's great.

As to Sea Swift boats I'm not sure what's going on, the web site is down and there is nothing on social media. Must try and give Dave a call as the warranty is with him.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 08:27   #13

RIBase
OceanFirst Marine are the current importers - quick google will find them (SE Cornwall based)
Old 11 August 2018, 06:13   #14

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Just looked at the website they look like very nice Ribs and excellent Value for money
Old 12 August 2018, 08:37   #15

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
Just looked at the website they look like very nice Ribs and excellent Value for money
This is the hull manufacturer http://deltabayboats.com/list1.asp?ProdId=0015

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote