Click Here to Login

Old 10 June 2013, 21:53   #1

Town: Kerry
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90
Would you buy an excalibur rib

Hi

I am in the market for a rib at the moment and there are a couple of nice excalibur's near me, does it matter the company no longer trade? I would be concerned about trying to sell on in a few years, the ones for sale have been on the market for a few months but saying that sales are slow in Ireland at present.

what you think?
Old 10 June 2013, 22:34   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
If the price and boat were right it wouldn't stop me. There's not much you need to original builder for that others can't help you with - and I believe if you needed to you can track down the old owner/designer of excalibur.

I've not seen the boats you are looking at - but two observations you might want to consider:

(i) In MY view, boats in Ireland are often rather highly priced. I'm not sure why if its a Euro thing, a limited number of boats that don't need an expensive ferry or just unrealistic expectations.
(ii) Excaliburs always struck me as a bit pricey, before the bubble burst anyway.

So if those boats have been on the market for a while it probably means they are bit too expensive. Bargains don't hang around for long.
Old 10 June 2013, 23:51   #3

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
There's some stunning value in Excaliburs about lately - a combination of their sadly going bust and the recession hurting the market for big ribs. I'd have no hesitation in buying one as they were well designed and built with pride. They're GRP and Hypalon so as repairable as any other rib and the engines are all standard marine diesels or big outboards. I'd watch those older/smaller ones fitted with old school two-strokes - thirsty!
Excalibur always welcomed visitors to the factory in Carrigaline and I've never heard of any sort of quality problem with the boats themselves and seen them well used with confidence in gnarly conditions.
Old 14 June 2013, 21:57   #4

Thanks for replies, agree with the comments, one thing with irish sales is the seller will normally take money off, in the UK i find there is not much room for negotiation, that has been my experience anyway.

I always loved the excalibur's, have been to the factory and nearly bought new a few years ago but went for a hard boat instead.

I am probably going to look at one next weekend in Cork along with a ribeye and a cobra
Old 14 June 2013, 22:14   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Make sure it's got a CE mark if you buy it.

There was one involved in an accident (not the boat's fault) a little while back and the MCIB report noted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCIB report
When inspected, the RIB was found to be free from damage. There was however
no CE mark or evidence that the vessel was Recreational Craft Directive (RCD)
approved.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2013, 22:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Make sure it's got a CE mark if you buy it.

There was one involved in an accident (not the boat's fault) a little while back and the MCIB report noted
I have read that report alright, it is half the reason i posted, the one i am interested in has a CE mark alright.

the surveyor for my current boat that is now sale agreed is from that area, I must ask him about it.
Old 15 June 2013, 13:45   #7

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Ashling
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daibheid View Post
There's some stunning value in Excaliburs about lately - a combination of their sadly going bust and the recession hurting the market for big ribs. I'd have no hesitation in buying one as they were well designed and built with pride. They're GRP and Hypalon so as repairable as any other rib and the engines are all standard marine diesels or big outboards. I'd watch those older/smaller ones fitted with old school two-strokes - thirsty!
Excalibur always welcomed visitors to the factory in Carrigaline and I've never heard of any sort of quality problem with the boats themselves and seen them well used with confidence in gnarly conditions.
Would just like to correct the comment above about "going bust". Far from going bust Gael Force the builders decided to close the business down as they saw the writing on the wall with a looming recession and a decline in sales. As far as I am aware they left no debts at all and it was an orderly close down of operations

www.henshaw.co.uk
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2013, 13:51   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Would just like to correct the comment above about "going bust". Far from going bust Gael Force the builders decided to close the business down as they saw the writing on the wall with a looming recession and a decline in sales. As far as I am aware they left no debts at all and it was an orderly close down of operations
Just spotted this thread. What Christopher says is correct. I understand that some of the employees of Gaelforce are now in possession of the moulds and are in a position to build or repair boats.
Old 15 June 2013, 20:06   #9

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
fine looking ribs
Old 16 June 2013, 10:04   #10

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
fine looking ribs
Never seen one 'up Close'..but they do look the Part, and knowing thier 'Pedigree' I'd certainly encourage the the OP pay to have a closer look ...and from what Wilk says there could be a Bargain or two to be had!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2013, 10:18   #11

I do plan to see the rib, my top 3 ribs on the shopping list are in the same area, at the moment I am favoring the other 2 but only because the engine on the excalibur is a 2-stroke and I would prefer a 4-stroke.

P.S. I only said they no longer traded, not gone bust. But it is easy to see how someone could draw that conclusion giving the tough way business is these days.
Old 17 June 2013, 16:20   #12

Town: West Cork
Boat name: Wave Runner
Make: Excalibur
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90 4st
Excalibur or Not

Day Dreamer,
Buy the Excalibur, you cant go wrong. Great dry boats & take some pounding, bullet proof really. - 'just mi too scence'
Old 01 July 2013, 21:20   #13

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Dream's View Post
P.S. I only said they no longer traded, not gone bust. But it is easy to see how someone could draw that conclusion giving the tough way business is these days.
Sorry that I think was my word and I'm happy to be corrected on it, I'd have no hesitation buying one -and hope the guys keep those moulds turning over. Much too good a design to disappear in any length or engine configuration. Some of the older ones are really wearing well.
Old 07 July 2013, 22:57   #14

Town: cork
Boat name: n/a
Make: redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225hp
to any1 looking to buy an excalibur i suggest ye pop down to the new work shop of haven marine ( new builders of excalibur ribs) never a problem getting a test drive on any boat in the range . very helpfull and friendly service .

Tags
rib