Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 20 September 2005, 21:36   #1
Member
 
Country: USA
Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 369
Wooohoooo

Ribcraft 5.85, Honda 115, Hydraulic Steering, 2 man console, VHF, CD Player (2 Speakers), (and hopefully A-frame) in all Black ordered today. Delivery is in the spring though

Im not sure if i should go for the A-frame or the Bench behind the 2 jockey seats. and...should i get a cover for teh console since its going to be on a mooring?
__________________

__________________
Chopppywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2005, 21:59   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Good for you - bet you will have some serious fun with it!!!

Yes get a cover for the console - nothing fancy - even a large sack will do.

I would definitely go for an A frame - great for hanging bits of stuff off!!! Looks cool as well.....
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2005, 15:46   #3
Member
 
Country: USA
Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 369
Hmm, so just about anything will work for a console cover? and how would i sort of stick it to the boat so it doesnt fly away? Velcro? Im trying to talk to the guy at RIBCRAFT to give me the a-frame for a little less money. Sincei only have 2 seats and a bench in front of the console where do you guys have people sit/stand? 2 more people can stand behind the jockey seats and hold onto the grab rails but other than that im afraid they have to sit on the sides? Thanks for all the advice!
__________________
Chopppywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2005, 16:22   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopppywaters
Hmm, so just about anything will work for a console cover? and how would i sort of stick it to the boat so it doesnt fly away? Velcro? Im trying to talk to the guy at RIBCRAFT to give me the a-frame for a little less money. Sincei only have 2 seats and a bench in front of the console where do you guys have people sit/stand? 2 more people can stand behind the jockey seats and hold onto the grab rails but other than that im afraid they have to sit on the sides? Thanks for all the advice!

Ever heard of rope??? Just tie it down..........

Not so bad sitting on the tubes as long as there are plenty of places to hang onto - you at least get a nice soft ride!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2005, 16:33   #5
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
back in the real world...

Most fitted console covers are held down with poppers or press-studs. The male is screwed to the vertical face of the console at the base, the female fitted to the double-hem of the cover.

At speed, you will want a seat. Sitting on the tube is just about OK at slow speed, but you would need sturdy grab handles. At high speeds, you want a proper seat, and on small RIBs a jockey seat is best. We have a bench seat at the rear, but in a rough sea it's not ideal. Some people find that they can stand behind passenger jockey seats OK, but need a good solid handle on the back.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2005, 21:10   #6
Member
 
Country: USA
Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 369
heh rope will work Im scared if some of my...not so intelligent friends sit on the sides they'll happen to fall off and that is never good. I have 2 jockey seats so i could comfortably sit 2 people then perhaps 1 person behind each seat holding onto the grab rail that it provides and maybe 1 person in the front on the bench attached to the console....ill figure something out a bench in the back would mean even more stern heaviness. Im thinking of installing smart tabs once the boat is built. (or perhaps just a 100lb ballast)
__________________
Chopppywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2005, 23:29   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Most fitted console covers are held down with poppers or press-studs. The male is screwed to the vertical face of the console at the base, the female fitted to the double-hem of the cover.

At speed, you will want a seat. Sitting on the tube is just about OK at slow speed, but you would need sturdy grab handles. At high speeds, you want a proper seat, and on small RIBs a jockey seat is best. We have a bench seat at the rear, but in a rough sea it's not ideal. Some people find that they can stand behind passenger jockey seats OK, but need a good solid handle on the back.
Shaun Whyte may disagree with you on that - the 1000 Island voyages and their extemem whitewater rides had people sitting on the tubes in REALLY rough conditions - it proved he was right when they had one capsize - all the passengers were thrown clear with no injuries!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2005, 01:54   #8
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Shaun Whyte may disagree with you on that...
I doubt it. I'm fairly certain that all his seating positions had sturdy hand holds, and his craft were 11m 6tonne beasts. A 5m half tonne vessel is a different proposition altogether.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2005, 05:09   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Aylesbury/Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Optimax
MMSI: 235021048
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 859
Strongly recommend as many jockeys as you can. We use our six regularly
__________________
brucehawsker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2005, 09:10   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
I doubt it. I'm fairly certain that all his seating positions had sturdy hand holds, and his craft were 11m 6tonne beasts. A 5m half tonne vessel is a different proposition altogether.

I did say the hand holds were VITAL......

Went out the other day in a Ribeye 5.5m - 8' waves at full chat - I was far happier on the seat but the other 2 were ok sitting on the tubes as they had good handholds.
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.