Old 21 September 2005, 01:36   #1

Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
Wooohoooo

Ribcraft 5.85, Honda 115, Hydraulic Steering, 2 man console, VHF, CD Player (2 Speakers), (and hopefully A-frame) in all Black ordered today. Delivery is in the spring though

Im not sure if i should go for the A-frame or the Bench behind the 2 jockey seats. and...should i get a cover for teh console since its going to be on a mooring?
Old 21 September 2005, 01:59   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Good for you - bet you will have some serious fun with it!!!

Yes get a cover for the console - nothing fancy - even a large sack will do.

I would definitely go for an A frame - great for hanging bits of stuff off!!! Looks cool as well.....
Old 21 September 2005, 19:46   #3

Hmm, so just about anything will work for a console cover? and how would i sort of stick it to the boat so it doesnt fly away? Velcro? Im trying to talk to the guy at RIBCRAFT to give me the a-frame for a little less money. Sincei only have 2 seats and a bench in front of the console where do you guys have people sit/stand? 2 more people can stand behind the jockey seats and hold onto the grab rails but other than that im afraid they have to sit on the sides? Thanks for all the advice!
Old 21 September 2005, 20:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopppywaters
Hmm, so just about anything will work for a console cover? and how would i sort of stick it to the boat so it doesnt fly away? Velcro? Im trying to talk to the guy at RIBCRAFT to give me the a-frame for a little less money. Sincei only have 2 seats and a bench in front of the console where do you guys have people sit/stand? 2 more people can stand behind the jockey seats and hold onto the grab rails but other than that im afraid they have to sit on the sides? Thanks for all the advice!

Ever heard of rope??? Just tie it down..........

Not so bad sitting on the tubes as long as there are plenty of places to hang onto - you at least get a nice soft ride!!!
Old 21 September 2005, 20:33   #5

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
back in the real world...

Most fitted console covers are held down with poppers or press-studs. The male is screwed to the vertical face of the console at the base, the female fitted to the double-hem of the cover.

At speed, you will want a seat. Sitting on the tube is just about OK at slow speed, but you would need sturdy grab handles. At high speeds, you want a proper seat, and on small RIBs a jockey seat is best. We have a bench seat at the rear, but in a rough sea it's not ideal. Some people find that they can stand behind passenger jockey seats OK, but need a good solid handle on the back.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2005, 01:10   #6

heh rope will work Im scared if some of my...not so intelligent friends sit on the sides they'll happen to fall off and that is never good. I have 2 jockey seats so i could comfortably sit 2 people then perhaps 1 person behind each seat holding onto the grab rail that it provides and maybe 1 person in the front on the bench attached to the console....ill figure something out a bench in the back would mean even more stern heaviness. Im thinking of installing smart tabs once the boat is built. (or perhaps just a 100lb ballast)
Old 22 September 2005, 03:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Most fitted console covers are held down with poppers or press-studs. The male is screwed to the vertical face of the console at the base, the female fitted to the double-hem of the cover.

At speed, you will want a seat. Sitting on the tube is just about OK at slow speed, but you would need sturdy grab handles. At high speeds, you want a proper seat, and on small RIBs a jockey seat is best. We have a bench seat at the rear, but in a rough sea it's not ideal. Some people find that they can stand behind passenger jockey seats OK, but need a good solid handle on the back.
Shaun Whyte may disagree with you on that - the 1000 Island voyages and their extemem whitewater rides had people sitting on the tubes in REALLY rough conditions - it proved he was right when they had one capsize - all the passengers were thrown clear with no injuries!!!
Old 22 September 2005, 05:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Shaun Whyte may disagree with you on that...
I doubt it. I'm fairly certain that all his seating positions had sturdy hand holds, and his craft were 11m 6tonne beasts. A 5m half tonne vessel is a different proposition altogether.
Old 22 September 2005, 09:09   #9

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Strongly recommend as many jockeys as you can. We use our six regularly
Old 22 September 2005, 13:10   #10

Quote:
I doubt it. I'm fairly certain that all his seating positions had sturdy hand holds, and his craft were 11m 6tonne beasts. A 5m half tonne vessel is a different proposition altogether.

I did say the hand holds were VITAL......

Went out the other day in a Ribeye 5.5m - 8' waves at full chat - I was far happier on the seat but the other 2 were ok sitting on the tubes as they had good handholds.
Old 22 September 2005, 14:33   #11

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
..... all the passengers were thrown clear with no injuries!!!

yes... but all died of hyperthermia ( is that how you spell it??)

Choppy - without beating about the bush - how much are you paying CIF?

jonathan
Old 22 September 2005, 14:36   #12

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Anyone who believes that its ok to travel any significant distance on a RIB sitting on the tubes is either.....

A diver.....
Young fit and stupid
just plain stupid

Crew comfort and reducing fatigue are imperative. The coxn has the best of all worlds, he usually has a nice jockey seat (unless he really wants to shag his back on a bench seat ), he is holding onto the steering wheel & throttle, he can see ahead, is reading the sea and bracing himself accordingly. Front seat passengers (assuming side by side seating) enjoy similar benefits although with a grab rail (if a well set up boat) rather than a wheel/throttle. As you go further back in the boat, passengers have less view of whats going on in front and rely on a good seat/grab rail. The exception to this is if you can stand behind a jockey holding on but even then this can be tiring on a long trip.

It is oh so easy to be enjoying the bangity, crash, whee isnt this fun bit as a driver/coxn and not be sensitive to the cold, tired, please god make it stop, passengers behind you. If those passengers are sitting on the tubes then they are not going to be having fun after the first 30mins.

To compare an Ocean Dynamics trip boat - big & heavy as Richard says, plus used for relatively short distance excursions to a smaller cruising rib merely demonstrates a certain persons lack of knowledge/experience of what it is actually like to go any signficant distance in a RIB.

Mind you with a 9m RIB Codders I am assuming you'll have jockey seats galore?
Old 22 September 2005, 15:04   #13

Anyone who believes that its ok to travel any significant distance on a RIB sitting on the tubes is either.....

Quite agree Alan - try my cabin rib. Its brillaint

- normal dress ( Richard B could use his smoking jacket)
- always dry
- have a heater inside
- seat belts
- ribbing 12 months a year
- windscreen wipers/demisters

and you can open the side windows to give you the smell of the sea.

why torture yourself when you can live in comfort??

Jonathan
Old 22 September 2005, 15:34   #14

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
why torture yourself when you can live in comfort??
You could also stay at home with the slippers and a pipe.

Lets not forget that many of the people on this forum purchased an open boat because they liked being out in the open and like taking in the sea air.

I have absolutely no doubt that when the wind gets up having a cabin rib is far superior and probably all through the winter too.

But through the vast majority of the summer I would find a cabin a drawback not an advantage. Id be finding someone else to helm as I would want to be outside in the sun and cool breeze.

This summer I did 100+ nmile trip from Falmouth to Plymouth and back in a 4.2m boat via eddy stone rocks with my kids and my 8 year old son was either standing or sat on the tube the whole way. He loved every minute of it.

I agree that jockey seats are preferential but they are by no means essential as long as good hand holding is provided and your not out jumping 10ft waves.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2005, 16:09   #15

Quote:
( Richard B could use his smoking jacket)
I don't have a smoking jacket, and I don't smoke! Mind you, I'd prefer to wear a smoking jacket to a dress
Old 22 September 2005, 19:57   #16

But through the vast majority of the summer I would find a cabin a drawback not an advantage. Id be finding someone else to helm as I would want to be outside in the sun and cool breeze.

Most of the people I see in open ribs look as if they have just been thru a car wash!!!!!!!!!!. Appreciate the outdoor spirit ect ect... but its nice to remain dry. I did my level 2 last year in an open boat- and it was no fun I can assure you. I do have the roof open and the back is open as well.

Ps the garmin link up work perfectly - thanks a million.

jonathan
Old 22 September 2005, 20:03   #17

Quote:
I don't have a smoking jacket, and I don't smoke! Mind you, I'd prefer to wear a smoking jacket to a dress
Sorry Richard my mistake - its the french language creeping in - I ment evening jacket is that the term?? its the one between top hats and tails and a pair of levi's

Jonathan
Old 22 September 2005, 20:05   #18

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Im glad that worked...

Open back cabin is probably a good compromise.

Alex (gingercoastie) has a Rayglass Protector which he kindly took me out on a couple of times and that is a nice example of a cabin boat with front screen and roof but completely open back.

I like the feeling of the wind in my hair (whats left of it) but i expect i will remember this thread when i finally get my boat delivered in november and im suffering from frost-bitten face trying to get some use out of my boat...
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2005, 20:08   #19

Quote:
Sorry Richard my mistake - its the french language creeping in - I ment evening jacket is that the term?? its the one between top hats and tails and a pair of levi's

Jonathan
I'm not familiar with the term evening jacket!

Between top hat and tails and Levi's would be a lounge suit if that helps?
Old 22 September 2005, 20:09   #20

Alex (gingercoastie) has a Rayglass Protector which he kindly took me out on a couple of times and that is a nice example of a cabin boat with front screen and roof but completely open back.

If ever in Belgium come out in a REAL rib--- got 55.7 knts yesterday and
went ' hands off ' - straight line very stable. The automatic trim tabs really
work..

Jonathan