RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1573 View Post
I am no expert but surely diesel ribs will still be significantly less expensive to run due to the efficency of a diesel over an equivalent petrol engine?

Chris
I think there is about a 25% fuel saving (in volume per mile) but it takes a lot longer for that to pay itself off the extra purchase cost if diesel is the same price (or higher) than petrol - compared to when it is less than half the price. I think the original hype was that people would not pay double and just leave boating all together.

e.g. Roughly: Petrol cost 1/litre, red diesel cost 0.50/litre, white diesel 1/litre:

Cost of 200 HP engine on petrol probably about 60/hr on petrol. 23/hr on red diesel and 46/hr on white.
Old 18 April 2007, 14:15   #12

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
..but if you currently had an o/board boat would you mae the switch now or hold off 2 years in the hope that the price falls?
Neil, if you mean would I hold off buying for 2 years in the hope that the price of secondhand diesel RIBs fall, then no way would I hold off. For a number of reasons two of which are; you can do whole lot of cruising yet at the present price and you never know what may be around the corner for you...enjoy while you are able.

Quote:
I think the original hype was that people would not pay double and just leave boating all together.
Well I could see that happening to me. I love being on the sea but funds are not unlimited and part of the logic for moving up to a diesel rib was to pay upfront while I could and enjoy the lower cost during the later years. With the previous boat, if, say, I left Port Seton and headed off for a day at St Andrews, by the time I was home the outing would have cost me the best part of 150 quid. That's a lot of dosh and I'd certainly find it difficult to sustain now I've retired. If I'm forced to pay 1 per litre, I may well have to reconsider boating.

Old 18 April 2007, 14:24   #13
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Neil, if you mean would I hold off buying for 2 years in the hope that the price of secondhand diesel RIBs fall, then no way would I hold off. For a number of reasons two of which are; you can do whole lot of cruising yet at the present price and you never know what may be around the corner for you...enjoy while you are able.
Jeff, thanks - exactly what I wanted to here... ...ok so the only logical reason now is because we could use the money elsewhere - so what I need is a diesel rib that is such a bargain that I just have to snap it up while it is available...
Old 18 April 2007, 14:33   #14

If I was doing it now I'd still go to Humber and buy a new hull/tubes. I can't remember the exact price but it was in the region of 8-9 grand for the 8.5mtr but I'd buy a 9.5mtr. There are diesel engine bargains to be had if you are prepared to take the risk and maybe carry the warranty yourself. I used a main Volvo dealer and got what could be considered a very good deal for a main dealer but, knowing what I know now, I'd definately consider the alternative strategy.
Old 18 April 2007, 14:59   #15
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
If I was doing it now I'd still go to Humber and buy a new hull/tubes. I can't remember the exact price but it was in the region of 8-9 grand for the 8.5mtr but I'd buy a 9.5mtr. There are diesel engine bargains to be had if you are prepared to take the risk and maybe carry the warranty yourself. I used a main Volvo dealer and got what could be considered a very good deal for a main dealer but, knowing what I know now, I'd definately consider the alternative strategy.
mmm... I think she is of the opinion that some form of shelter (either proper cabin or the redbay style tent thingy) would be desirable... we have one little-un and there could be more to follow at some point. He loves the boat but gets too cold in the wind chill - even at 20 knots. Mrs P got wet on a few occasions and now has reassessed her priorities from - "cabins don't look very pretty" to "crikey thats quite practical".

Now I know that in theory one can aquire a tractor cab and DIY it but thats not in my skill base nor do I have the time or space.

Something like 7.5m is probably more than enough for me. I've not seen anyone else making redbay type giant sprayhoods? I assume there is some skill/engineering involved for it to survive travelling at speed. Humber have some fairly industrial looking cabins - no idea what that adds to cost. Parker have a nice cabin on their boats - but never seen one second hand and suspect its out of the hypothetical budget new. Most people developing cabin ribs seem to be working on the "sleep on board" approach - which whilst I wouldn't say no to that isn't on our essential list. Keeping the rain and spray off is.

All in all its a big leap from a 3.9m bathtub with a 20HP outboard - so not sure we will make the transition in one step - I am just trying to balance up the arguments for and against the options...

Cheers,

N
Old 18 April 2007, 15:05   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
...that's a lot of dosh and I'd certainly find it difficult to sustain now I've retired. If I'm forced to pay 1 per litre, I may well have to reconsider boating.
Well if you want to swap - then I would be happy to provide a vessel which costs about 5/h in fuel at cruising speed
Old 18 April 2007, 15:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Now I know that in theory one can aquire a tractor cab and DIY it ...
Speak to gaRfie.
Quote:
... so not sure we will make the transition in one step ..
Each step costs a lot, do it in a oner.

Quote:
"cabins don't look very pretty" to "crikey thats quite practical".
A sensible lady you have there.

Actually, think very carefully about what you really want from your boating. Nip down to FYM and have a wee look at these. They can come with the 1.7 diesel. Not an off shore rib but they could give you a lot of boating pleasure.
Old 18 April 2007, 15:34   #18
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Actually, think very carefully about what you really want from your boating. Nip down to FYM and have a wee look at these. They can come with the 1.7 diesel. Not an off shore rib but they could give you a lot of boating pleasure.
mmm food for thought there ... might need to improve my "parking style" with a fibreglass boat though...

I think we will get the house move out the way and then begin exploring the possibility of a boat upgrade for 2008.
Old 19 April 2007, 11:21   #19

Town: emsworth
Boat name: the black stuff
Make: BALLISTIC
Engine: 2 x 200hp etec's
only

if i had the 20k extra capital , and did more than 250hrs per year .
then yes . if not no it does not make finacial sence .

no one ever takes into account the price of maintaning a deisel rib ??
and the fact they dont sell second hand as well as a outboard so think carefully
Old 19 April 2007, 11:48   #20

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Man at Northney marina told us that all Deisel would be white
every one pays pump price then if you are a commercial user
you claim back the duty at the end of the quarter.
That way they dont need inspectors to dip the tank etc.
But what if you buy it on a trip from say Alderney ?