Old 09 December 2002, 19:29   #1

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Winter Ribbing

How many people pack the rib away at the end of sept, apart from people whose job it may be to drive or use a rib for work,I can remember last Christmas eve being out in my rib, I can remember landing on islands in Janurary to see what the tide has washed up,I mean I know its cold and gets dark early,how many people continue to go ribbing throughout the winter.In Ireland there is a marked decrease in the amount of people out on the water during winter months.Does anyone have any thoughts on this or do you mind the cold.I have to admit the rougher winter weather can bring particular challenging sea conditions, operating a rib on a cold winter day can be fun but can also be no picnic if caught by the weather, Is therefore ribbing a summer sport only or an all year round pastime, hobby necessity whatever your opinion may be, I think it is an all year rounder and love the sea conditions the winter brings, the cold is the biggest problem for me Gavin
Old 09 December 2002, 19:59   #2

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
No we have never winterised the boats since we got married 30years ago and bought a house, a fridge and a boat in that order-saved up for a washing machine eventually.
I was out cod fishing (carefully in a rib - big 'ooks) at weekend and it was COLD but what the hell its not too bad in good kit. Doubless we will be fishing (before the cod ban comes in??)and have a waterski over Xmas. Used to dive Scotlnd over xmas & new year from the boats in a wetsuit-none of your softie dry suits - but have learned more sense (and gained more aches and pains cos of it no doubt!) since!
Lifes too short to put a boat away for half the year-some grand days in winter
Dave(old git)M
Old 09 December 2002, 21:00   #3

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
WE went out this weekend, I am going back next weekend to find the bits that fell off me. I personally find the water more interesting in Winter and find a better sense of achievement from Winter trips.

My andidote to the cold has been too carefully develop and nurture a thick layer of Blubber over the years, which does take the edge off the cold. and lots of layers of clothing under your foulies.

The otehr good thing is that the solent is close to empty at this time of the year apart from proffesional mariners and Broken warships
Old 09 December 2002, 21:12   #4

Town: Jersey
Boat name: t/t
Make: Honda
Length: under 3m
Winter Activities

I was out last night until about 9 playing games in Plymouth Sound with DGPW.

It was certainly V. cold but very enjoyable. As the previous thread mentioned, there is no-one else about. Wrap up and stay dry and there is no reason to pack up for winter.

I think last nite apart from the other 2 boats doing an Advanced course and my boat playing hide n seek in all the dark corners we could find, there was one other ship.
Old 09 December 2002, 21:13   #5

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
I guess you just have to be aware of the life expectancy if you end up in the sea. It is very cold during the winter months, just wandering if you have a survival suite or other gear to compensate for this. I guess you have to be prepared as you just never know!

Pete
Old 09 December 2002, 21:39   #6

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Not personally done any winter ribbing yet, but here's my opinions on the subject!

RIBs seem to be designed with rougher conditions in mind, so in my mind it's a bit of a waste to restrict it to use in good weather, and then locking it up over the winter months. Our dive club's RIB is kept in storage over winter, but that's because not many of the members fancy going out diving in the sea in the middle of winter.
Providing you're wrapped up warm and have sensible safety gear, go out and enjoy the more challenging conditions, just don't push it too far.

Matt
Old 09 December 2002, 21:42   #7

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Yes thanks Pete I am aware of the risk and slim chances of survival if an accident occurs I have got all the togs n safety gear and am generally that bit more careful in the winter

The idea is definitely to stay in the boat in winter. this is also when having the an amount of spares and the knowledge to replace them comes in Handy. Does anybody carry a spare Kill switch? Not cord but switch

Cheers
Stuart
Old 09 December 2002, 22:24   #8

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Stuart if you cut all the wires under the console of a camel boat one at a time eventually you will be able to start it, especially if you jam a whacking great 18" adjustable spanner in the starter relay. Works for me everytime I borrow her.

Sorry couldn't help it, Pete
Old 10 December 2002, 07:09   #9

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Well as I have just got my rib I am keen to get as much time in as I can.

Just finished sorting all the legal stuff and giving the boat a good service. So I will be out in the Solent on Sunday for a couple of hours, weather permitting!!! Taking all the good advice & precautions with me.

I see no real problems with Winter Ribbing.

Happy playtimes
Old 10 December 2002, 11:56   #10

Town: Newfoundland
I have always gone ribbing through the winter before on the basis that a) you get some lovely bright crisp sunny days b) its blissfully uncrowded and c) I've too much cash tied up in the RIB to have it sitting idle for 4-5 months of the year!!

Only reason for not doing it this winter is for max recovery time for the back problems I suffered in the summer.

Flanker has a good point about survivability in cold water. IMHO a drysuit with plenty of layers underneath is a must, even if its bright sunny and calm. If you end up in the drink, which can happen even on calm days, then you will need all the insulation you've got. (And yes like Wavehumper I have a certain amount of "personal" insulation which would help ). A decent wooly hat, fleece balaclava and goggles are also neccessary as is a pair of gloves. Think if you check back in the the forum this has been debated before but I use Gill Helmsmens gloves which are warm and waterproof.

Cheers,
Alan
Old 10 December 2002, 12:25   #11

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
Sunday evening was good fun in Plymouth Sound but despite the 7 layers waterproof gloves and gortex hat was still a little nippy. No students froze to death so that is good. The weekend before I was out on the water in Salcombe at 6.30 am and it was surprisingly warm very dark but warm. Amazing the difference in temp between a NE and a SW wind. BOATING IS FUN ALL YEAR AROUND Whether it be an icicle series on a yacht or a blast in a rib. It is cold in the winter and preparation for the whole crew and communication between them is the key. When one is cold go in and get them warm!
Old 10 December 2002, 12:32   #12

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
When early Feb comes you wont be able to keep me of the water.

Nothing to do with liking winter Ribbing, I just dont get my RIB till then .

But on serious note I think you get some great days in winter and it makes it even better whan there is almost no one else out there.
And like Alan says why pay all that money and only use it half the year.

Regards Gary
Old 10 December 2002, 16:03   #13

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
The idea is definitely to stay in the boat in winter.

Er, yeh. I feel like that all year round. Don't you?

JW
Old 10 December 2002, 19:43   #14

Survival Times

This is taken from IAMSAR as I thought it would be interesting!

Survival time for persons not wearing protective clothing in water of various temps. I am sure the UK falls into 2-4 degrees as an absolute minimum.

Water Temp______Survival time
0-2_____________Less than 3/4 hour
2-4_____________less than 1 1/2 hours
4-10____________Less than 3 hours
10-15___________Less than 6 hours

Ideally you don't want to be out on your own. If you have novice crew take 15 mins at the start of the trip to show them the basic operation of the boat and how to pick up a MOB.

Then, you shouldn't be in too long if it doesn't quite go as planned.

And ALWAYS take some spare cloths etc.

Regards
Karl
Old 10 December 2002, 19:51   #15

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Well, I'm glad I'll have my Ravenspring Drysuit for my next trip out at the end of this month (also for the Orkney Expedition...he he he he).

Right then excuse me for being ignorant (again [is that you Davison])) but what is 'IAMSAR' please.

Cheers

Keith Haaaaaaaaaart
Old 10 December 2002, 19:58   #16
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Oooh, Ooh...let me guess, let me guess....

I nternational
A dvisory
M something
S earch
A nd
R escue

???? How did I do.
Old 10 December 2002, 20:22   #17

Sorry.

International Aeronatuical & Maritime Search and Rescue

A wadge of a manual with everything on S&R imaginable from on scene co-ordination to drift rates for bodys, boats, liferafts with / without drogues etc etc

karl
Old 10 December 2002, 21:00   #18

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Don't you lot have WIVES?!!!!

Mine glares at me if I don't put it away and not use it by the end of November! That way I can concentrate on decotarating etc.! And I can't play with it again till March!

(And that goes for the RIB too!)

Mike - It's on my front lawn so I can see it - C)
Old 10 December 2002, 21:51   #19

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
KarlT,

What is the time in a survival / dry suite and what is the definition of such an item. I think that people need to be aware that if they are bombing around on their own and a tragic incident happens that throws them into the water, e.g. hitting a container (unlikely but not unknown), firstly could they cope in the water and secondly what means would they have to summon assistance. I guess you could only float for so long in your life jacket in the pitch dark before dying. It would be sad to lose someone because they thought it would never happen to them!

It would be interesting for people to have a practice in controlled circumstances to experience what it would be like with the same clothing on, getting into the water at that temp. The weight of the normal clothing now wet and heavy, WILL your lifejacket still keep you afloat, with waves lashing over your face, HOw do you know? Is your handheld radio on the boat or with you? I mention this because I did numerous exercises during my Commando training at Lympstone and later up in the Arctic circle with full kit on, I also experienced similar in the South Atlantic. I may not be up on the driving of RIB's but I am Commando, Arctic warfare and Arctic survival trained, trust me, I know about survival. Training, knowing your kit inside out and it's limits are paramount to surviving. You may fly by the seat of your pants at the moment, but trust me, one day, just one day, that preparation may save yours and others lives.

Pete
Old 11 December 2002, 09:36   #20
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Pete
I don't know the factual answer to your question, but....if you get thrown out of your boat, in winter, alone and in the dark, which is perfectly possible of course, it might be useful to remind others of some precautions that could be taken.
-try to travel with another boat
-try to finish your journey late afternoon, rather than evening (after dark)
-ALWAYS wear drysuit, warm clothes under, and a lifejacket
-tell someone responsible your route plan and timing and when to press the panic button
-ALWAYS wear you kill switch
-dont be alone in the boat
I, personally....carry my handheld in a specially designed pocket in my drysuit. I also carry a fag packet sized torch/strobe in my drysuit.
The only thing I dont have which I think would be v. useful is a lifejacket with attached sprayhood (so I could smoke that occasional calming Marlboro.. no, no!!) to keep breaking waves, spray etc of my face and presumably to keep ones head a little warmer.