Old 12 August 2018, 15:12   #1

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Windy boats.

The Mrs is tying very hard to pursuade me to sell my 8.1m Scorpion. I have not given in yet, but it will happen at sometime. She wants a hard boat and sleep space and we haven’t got bundles of money to invest. Love the ride of my boat, wouldn’t want to go back to a silly American built bruise maker. The only decent hard boats in the 7.5-9m category that aren’t to large I can think of are old windys. Like 8000, 8800 or even a mirage 25.

Has anyone ever been on one, I know they have a good reputation, but I’d love to know if anyone’s had first hand experience.

Thanks.
Old 12 August 2018, 16:06   #2

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Not a relevant response but you hear so many boat owners go from a rib to a hard boat, then realise their mistake and go back to a rib...................just saying lol
Old 12 August 2018, 17:02   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
Not a relevant response but you hear so many boat owners go from a rib to a hard boat, then realise their mistake and go back to a rib...................just saying lol

I’m not sure I’d say “so many” but it would certainly be worth taking her on a few test drives of other hulls so she can knows what she is getting into?

Is your budget for new? Might be worth talking to Andre? He has cabin boats that share the same running surface with his well regarded ribs.
Old 12 August 2018, 17:33   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I wouldnt get too fixated on out and out seakeeping if your going for a cruiser . Unless you buy a cabin rib then its likely to be a totally different animal to what your used to and you'll likely adjust your boating style to suit. Its just not comfortable or practical to try and drive a cruiser like a rib in the conditions you'd go out in a rib. We have a 7.4m delta and a 38ft regal hard boat having moved up from cuddy cabins through trailerable cruisers to the current boat.
If we're going out for a daytime jolly then take the rib and dont worry too much about the weather.
The cruiser though we always look for nice days and if we're away on holiday and the weather isnt good we stay in and find something to do at the place we're visiting. Going out on a rough day in a cruiser just ends up being uncomfortable or taking ages cos you have to drop to displacement speed.
We've done the lets go out anyway attitude and it usually ends with all your gear spread over the cabin floor and often something broken.
Cruisers open up your boating as you can stay away for extended periods but as for the ability to go out in most weathers then I dont think a cruiser is the thing unless its a cabin rib then you have the best of both worlds
Old 12 August 2018, 20:15   #5

Well she wants the cruiser lifestyle. I want to keep a hull I trust. I never really shy away too much from the weather or wind (within limits) but my first boat was a regal and even red jet wash had me right off the throttles.

I think she might not realise how good the scorpion is. She never been in another boat. It might be getting old now but the proof is in the ride and +60mph fun

Unfortunately my budget is £18k-25 ish, not new and preferably just trailerable. Hence my initial look at windy 8000-8800.

I think I need to take her out in a Bayliner ����
Old 12 August 2018, 22:14   #6

It'll be a hard act to follow with a cruiser and 60mph will be a thing of the past more likely 30mph
Definately need to try before you commit
Old 13 August 2018, 22:05   #7

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Going to be old, yet quite cool.

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...dy-8800/220194
Old 17 August 2018, 18:39   #8

That was one that caught my eye. Apparently a good sea boat according to press but never spoke to anyone who been in one whom is trust
Old 17 August 2018, 19:47   #9

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
There’s lots of forums that rate them. Just go try one! They look a great layout with high sides.
Old 17 August 2018, 21:47   #10

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
What about a Fairey?
Old 23 August 2018, 06:08   #11

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Well she wants the cruiser lifestyle. I want to keep a hull I trust. I never really shy away too much from the weather or wind (within limits) but my first boat was a regal and even red jet wash had me right off the throttles.

I think she might not realise how good the scorpion is. She never been in another boat. It might be getting old now but the proof is in the ride and +60mph fun

Unfortunately my budget is £18k-25 ish, not new and preferably just trailerable. Hence my initial look at windy 8000-8800.

I think I need to take her out in a Bayliner ����
Look at Sealines
Old 23 August 2018, 08:31   #12

Make: Island RIBS / custom
Length: 7m +
Engine: inboard diesel
I had a Draco Crystal 2500 for a while. Made by Windy and very similar to the Windy 8000. It had a Volvo Penta AD41 in it as previous owner had changed the engine from petrol to diesel.

It was made in 1990, engine changed in 2005, I had fir two seasons. Very nice little boat, slept on it lots, small head but at least it had one, small fridge and galley but it had one. Very comfortable ride and handled most things.

Build quality was very good as I would expect from a Scandinavian company. We cruised between the east Wight and Weymouth. Only reason I sold was more room was required.
Old 23 August 2018, 10:50   #13

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
It'll be a hard act to follow with a cruiser and 60mph will be a thing of the past more likely 30mph
Definately need to try before you commit
Seconded
Having said that and back to the question....A good friend of mine in the Motortrade had a Windy 32 after a few Biggish Cabin cruisers,and having sold it because a divorce hopes to get another in the future...I crewed for him a few times on short runs out of Torquay and the fit finish and quality build were quite self evident.
Handling seemed pretty good for a big lump,and ride was very stable and not as slappy compared to the couple of others Ive been on.
Cost of upkeep and Mooring fees need careful consideration in comparison to a RIB.
Finally One word of warning!
Don't let you're misses anywhere near one....until YOU have DEFINATLY made up your mind!!!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 11:25   #14

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
Look at Sealines
Windy are significant step-up from Sealine.
Old 23 August 2018, 17:23   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Windy are significant step-up from Sealine.
I used to think sealine were nice till i heard a few first hand horror stories of hulls flexing and i also saw a 39 which had sagged over the keel blocks while stood in a yard
Can't all be bad and some nice looking models but would need close inspection in my opinion
Old 23 August 2018, 18:10   #16

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I used to think sealine were nice till i heard a few first hand horror stories of hulls flexing and i also saw a 39 which had sagged over the keel blocks while stood in a yard
Can't all be bad and some nice looking models but would need close inspection in my opinion
Backalong, Sealine were very much a middle market brand. Of the Brits Princess and Fairline were above. The Yank and the Italian brands tended to dominate the middle of the market, the French supplied the cheapies. As Fairline are no more, Sealine have taken they're place. I know a couple of guys who have F430s, one nearly new and it's a very fine piece of kit. Princess have now gone into orbit.
Old 23 August 2018, 20:18   #17

Town: st. john's, Newfoundland
Boat name: TBD
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 530
Length: 5m +
Engine: MERC 75HP 4S
Last summer went for a ride on a friends late 1990's 28 ft windy with twin v8 i/o's. Not sure the model, a gibly I think? Something like that.

It was a rough day, I did not want to cross back to the mainland with my family in my own boat so he gave us a lift. 30kt wind blowing chop across a 2-3 meter swell. I was bracing myself for massive impacts as we left the harbor and charged into the swell at 25-30kts, I thought the skipper had lost his mind. No other boats were even on plane that day. The thing was a beast though, it had a shockingly smooth ride! Just absolutely sliced through each swell with gentle "booof", same feeling as a good rib. Once we got out of the straight into more sheltered waters the skipper lit the after-burners and we were scooting along at leisurely 42kts, and still conversing without having to raise our voices. Did not feel at all like 42 kts in a rib (screaming along with your hair on fire!)

Very capable and refined boat, nothing wrong with a Windy! I've been out in similar sized bayliners, no comparison, different boat all together. Designed and built to a different standard.

Its no wonder they carry the price tag of your first born child (for a used one). Glad I don't have to cover the fuel bill though!
Old 04 June 2021, 10:43   #18

Hi - I expect this is long gone now - but I happen to have a very nice Windy 8000 for sale - let me know if you are still thinking about this -- Thanks
Old 09 June 2021, 12:43   #19

Town: Southsea
Boat name: Voodoo
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser 350 Mag
RIBase
See if you can find a Princess 266 Riviera.....great sea boat and some accomodation.
Old 09 June 2021, 14:19   #20

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
See if you can find a Princess 266 Riviera.....great sea boat and some accomodation.

But not a RIB[emoji848]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote