Old 02 October 2006, 10:37   #11

Town: Guernsey
Make: Pending
Length: 8m +
:)

Stephen.
I'll try that if they give me permission (Sark are a bit funny about these things). Of course, the only other problem is that they might not understand English (:
R.

Old 02 October 2006, 17:56   #12

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Tirfors are great - I have 5 of them but they are very slow!!! You can and should lube the cable Stephen - no probs at all - it doesn't rely on friction. Instead of grease thoug use proper wire rope lube - a lot less messy.

To haul a boat up a beach I think the baby Tirfors would be the best - they are so small they will fit in a briefcase - have used mine for all sorts of things - most recently moving a 5 ton milling machine and a streched Limo up a steep drive.

http://www.tractel.com/fr/proddetail.php?prod=11410

Just keep your eye on Ebay.

To be honest though the Tirfor may be a bit slow for this - why not use a capstan type sail winch? Saw them in good use today - a mates large 55' Ketch had run aground and he pulled it off the mud with a sail winch and a long rope!!!

Old 02 October 2006, 19:46   #13

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Tirfors are great - I have 5 of them but they are very slow!!! You can and should lube the cable Stephen - no probs at all - it doesn't rely on friction. Instead of grease thoug use proper wire rope lube - a lot less messy.
The book for mine said it should not be lubricated. As it lives in a bike tyre in the roof of my garage, corrosion isn't really an issue, but it would be if used in salt water...

You are right though, they are slow.
Old 02 October 2006, 23:05   #14

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
The book for mine said it should not be lubricated. As it lives in a bike tyre in the roof of my garage, corrosion isn't really an issue, but it would be if used in salt water...

You are right though, they are slow.
Yes but you don't have the genuine Tirfor - sometimes things are lost with translation!!!

Storing in a tyre is great - you can just roll it to where you want - with 100m of 11mm wire it gets pretty heavy!!!

"Wire rope should always be reeled and unreeled in a straight line to prevent loops and kinks and should be coiled up for storage after use. Tirfor wire rope should never be used as a sling and should not be subjected to abrasion by rubbing it over sharp edges. For extended life and better performance, it is recommended that the wire rope be wiped clean before use and lubricated from time to time. If there are broken wires or strands or if the rope is untwisted, kinked or birdcaged, it is important that the rope be replaced immediately."

Useful link here regarding Tirfor use etc

http://www.hantsfire.gov.uk/theservi...ts.htm?id=8973

"Excess lubrication should be avoided but in any event cannot cause the wire rope to slip."
Old 03 October 2006, 05:26   #15

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Yes but you don't have the genuine Tirfor - sometimes things are lost with translation!!!
Something like 2/3 of the price was lost, which was the main issue

The manual was written by somebody whose principal language was some dialect of yingtonese I think
Old 03 October 2006, 06:36   #16

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Guys,
Tirfors are great but they are just too slow to but a boat up a beach especially if there is a break running.
The sailing club in Deal launch and recover over a big shingle beach, they have runners using lengths of gas pipe cut in half.
They have a big winch at the top top of the beach and you have to time your approach so the receading wave leaves you high and dry and the winch has to be fast enough to pull you clear before the next wave fills the boat up !!
I have also seen a bridle made up running from the stern D rings round the hull and out the bow eye spreading the load rounf the hull. Not sure I would want it there all the time though.
Jelly
Old 04 October 2006, 12:44   #17

Town: Guernsey
Make: Pending
Tx. guys,

a lot of good ideas to look into here.
Rupert.