Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 July 2009, 10:27   #11
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
I couldn't justify spending all that on winch to just get the RIB 4ft up a slip Codders, but thanks for the info. They look a great bit of kit.
Like I say I wouldn't need very much length.
__________________

__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2009, 10:30   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Maybe a wire puller thing would be ok then.

My smallest tirfor fits in an aluminium toolbox/briefcase. I always carry it around with me. Was very handy getting someone's Toyota Pious out of a very deep ditch. I don't know why 007 doesn't carry one - what a gadget!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2009, 11:43   #13
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
... Was very handy getting someone's Toyota Pious out of a very deep ditch. .....
You a one man rescue team Cod?
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2009, 12:17   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Nah the idiot was in front of me on a very narrow road - I would have had a 1 mile reverse!!!

Also I got stuck once when I had a very pretty girl with me - ended up flat on my back in deep mud which she found highly amusing. I now carry a tirfor and an anchor so even if there are no trees about I can still winch myself out. Funny thing is since I started carrying them never got myself stuck again...............
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2009, 12:41   #15
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
My smallest tirfor fits in an aluminium toolbox/briefcase. I always carry it around with me.
Dare I ask...what else do you carry that might just be needed? I'm now really interested
__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2009, 16:33   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 418
Do you think this would be man enough to drag up steep driveway? Appreciate it wouldn't be too fast but i am close to killing or injuring myself manhandling my boat so need something quick.

Was thinking of getting the towball attachment and bolting a tow ball to the wall to mount it on as i don't want anything fixed.

Advice much appreciated.

http://www.winchsolutions.co.uk/inde...-B7BECFB42744}
__________________
gibbo500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2009, 16:38   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Easy - it doesn't take much to move a rolling road - it's when stuff gets in the way the fun starts.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2009, 17:11   #18
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
I couldn't justify spending all that on winch to just get the RIB 4ft up a slip Codders, but thanks for the info. They look a great bit of kit.
Like I say I wouldn't need very much length.
Can you not use the winch on the front of your trailer for that? (i've never tried so there may be some really obvious reason why not)
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2009, 17:20   #19
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo500 View Post
Do you think this would be man enough to drag up steep driveway? Appreciate it wouldn't be too fast but i am close to killing or injuring myself manhandling my boat so need something quick.

Was thinking of getting the towball attachment and bolting a tow ball to the wall to mount it on as i don't want anything fixed.

Advice much appreciated.

http://www.winchsolutions.co.uk/index.asp?action=showproduct&id={C550BE13-FFF8-4A23-BF3E-B7BECFB42744}
I'd go for the next one up, its only a few pounds more. Forget the steel wire and get synthetic rope with the roller fairlead

I have this one with the wireless remote

C8000EWX 12V Winch

For this, works everytime even if we drop off the end of the slip

__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2009, 17:33   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Can you not use the winch on the front of your trailer for that? (i've never tried so there may be some really obvious reason why not)
That's what i have been doing but as the strap is not long enough i have to winch, chock and reconnect. It is bloody hard work and also time consuming and i think the winch is about to give up.

Sorry Polwart just re read your quote.
__________________

__________________
gibbo500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.