Old 14 June 2006, 15:59   #21

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
I seem to remember that Mr and Mrs Sticky were in a similar condition..

At least you didn’t have to listen to big Andy snoring all night.

Shaggy
Old 14 June 2006, 16:32   #22

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy
Yet more coverage....

http://www.cdnn.info/news/eco/e060608a.html

Apparently the Shark almost beached on rocks

Shaggy
The media is a joke... As this story gets passed from publisher to publisher they each add there own bit in to sensationalize the story...
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2006, 17:15   #23
Now back to being Mollers!

Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky
Mrs Sticky here! Do you not think that the large consumption of JD's had a little to do with how rough you felt in the morning, you didn't look too good..... and were rather quiet all day!!
I am naturally a very quiet person, as for not looking too good. Now, that is very unusual.
Old 14 June 2006, 17:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
The media is a joke... As this story gets passed from publisher to publisher they each add there own bit in to sensationalize the story...
A first hand example of the fact that 90% of what's written in the press is utter bollocks.
Old 14 June 2006, 17:25   #25

Town: CORNWALL
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
I am naturally a very quiet person, as for not looking too good. Now, that is very unusual.
How did I know you were going to come out with something like that!!!! I cannot believe you're naturally quiet, too much of an ego ( which I'm sorry I dented, wasn't intentional!)

Any trips planned for the weekend? I promise not to bring any kebabs ( just toys...) from Mrs. Sticky.
Old 14 June 2006, 17:27   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy
I seem to remember that Mr and Mrs Sticky were in a similar condition..

At least you didn’t have to listen to big Andy snoring all night.

Shaggy
Hi Shaggy, it was bad enough listening to him on the phone...

I may have felt rough but who had the job of cooking breakfast first thing for all the kids and adults that did't refuel??
Old 14 June 2006, 19:32   #27

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Quote:
Any trips planned for the weekend? I promise not to bring any kebabs ( just toys...) from Mrs. Sticky.
saturday is going to be a perfect wakeboarding day - sunday is looking wet and windy

I suggest carrick roads and molulan beach for a change
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2006, 20:38   #28

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
http://www.cdnn.info/news/eco/e060608a.html wrote:
Mr Ball said he had reports of boat users separating mothers from babies...
Mothers tend babies?!? Pretty unusual for sharks, I think.

jky
Old 14 June 2006, 20:45   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
saturday is going to be a perfect wakeboarding day - sunday is looking wet and windy

I suggest carrick roads and molulan beach for a change
Sounds good, Clare, deffi bring some of your Kebabs, I'll bring the Rennie. . What time for kick-off Roy?
Old 14 June 2006, 21:25   #30

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki
Mothers tend babies?!? Pretty unusual for sharks, I think.

jky

would be sharks lay eggs and never tend babies .
Old 14 June 2006, 23:07   #31

Town: Somerset
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
would be sharks lay eggs and never tend babies .
Not strictly true - some shark species give birth to live young, basking sharks among them.
Old 15 June 2006, 00:34   #32

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
Not strictly true - some shark species give birth to live young, basking sharks among them.
I stand corrected . I had just as well tell the story where I got the info from .

It was about 10 years ago .
I was Kayaking with a friend having left Penzance on a calm hot day heading for Lands End .
I was close under Tater Du lighthouse and a basking shark swam the other way feeding, it was a really big one so I turned around and caut it up and paddled along right beside him as he fed . I was close enough to touch his fin .
The shark then closed its mouth and dived away . As I turned in a big arc to re join my mate who was keeping clear he shouted look out , the shark was swimming fast on the surface mouth closed right for the centre of my boat . I paddled out of the way and kept going fast, the shark went round me and then appeared to give chase for about 100 yds . I was going flat out about 7mph and my mate was about 50 yds to the side watching . The shark then disapeared which was just as well as I was Knackered . This shark was not feeding as he chased me and we were bothe quite shaken up.

a few hundred yds later we passed a much smaller basking shark going the same direction as the first . We left it well alone and I concluded this was the young of the first one hence its actions .

My mates Dad is Doctor Potts a marine biologist at plymouth aquarium . I called him to tell the story and find out what I had done wrong. We used to report all shark and dolphin sightings to Dr Potts .
He was surprised by the sharks action and Iam certain told me that it was nothing to do with caring for young and that they lay eggs . I even seem to remember the description of the egg, it being like a woodscrew so it settles into the sand . He said there was a lot more to learn about basking sharks and that he had spent much time snorkeling with them and studying them .

I must have the info he gave me mixed up unless they have only found out since that they do give birth , the info on the net is quite sketchy but does as you say state that they give birth
Whenever I asked Dr Potts a question the pencil would come out and I would often get an ilustration of the creature , he was a great artist .
Old 15 June 2006, 06:57   #33

[QUOTE=Alice] Sounds good, Clare, deffi bring some of your Kebabs, I'll bring the Rennie. . What time for kick-off Roy? [/QUOTE

Make sure u chew before u swallow next time!!
Who,s Rennie? Why didn't she come along on the Scilly trip?

SPORTS HEADLINES:
Mrs Sticky scores hat-trick
(Kebabs 3 Red Wine/JD's 0) Alice sent off for abusive indigestion.
Old 15 June 2006, 07:11   #34

Quote:
Remember to chew this time before swallowing!!!!
!!

I'm taking Rennie along for protection. I'm not sure who you're confusing me with, I was the one tucked up in my sleeping bag whil'st the noisy rabble were in the pub.
Old 23 August 2007, 09:29   #35

Basking shark eggs??

I am a marine biologist and I work in the Marine Biological Association building on the Hoe in Plymouth. Dr Potts retired about 10 years ago now and I had the pleasure of talking to him about all manner of marine life. As for your recollection of him telling you that basking sharks laid eggs......I am slightly perturbed that he would've said that. It has been known for a long time that basking sharks give birth to live young and like most animals, are very protective of their young should a threat be perceived. As for your encounter with the mother and baby off Penzance...that must have been terrifying! I am a huge fan of sharks, but luckily have never been on the wrong end of one! Sounds like you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If anyone is interested there is now a legal code of conduct for all water users around Basking Sharks. You can find it on the Shark Trust web site and the Marine Conservation Society web site. Boat engines need to be switched off, not just idling but switched off. You should not approach the shark, but should the shark approach you then frankly there's not a lot that you can do about it! If you are in the water with the shark then you are in much more peril than the shark, therefore you need to keep a safe distance.

Everyone is entitled to see these creatures in the wild and interact with them if they are lucky enough to get the opportunity, but we have to respect them and remember that we are invading their habitat. These animals have not spent millions of years surviving just so a minority of boat users can get a thrill by chasing them around just because we can.

So enjoy our marine life, but just put yourself in their shoes/fins/blow holes. Next time anyone sees a pod of dolphins or a group of basking sharks, think how you'd feel in the water with them in the boat bearing down on you!

"I stand corrected . I had just as well tell the story where I got the info from .

It was about 10 years ago .
I was Kayaking with a friend having left Penzance on a calm hot day heading for Lands End .
I was close under Tater Du lighthouse and a basking shark swam the other way feeding, it was a really big one so I turned around and caut it up and paddled along right beside him as he fed . I was close enough to touch his fin .
The shark then closed its mouth and dived away . As I turned in a big arc to re join my mate who was keeping clear he shouted look out , the shark was swimming fast on the surface mouth closed right for the centre of my boat . I paddled out of the way and kept going fast, the shark went round me and then appeared to give chase for about 100 yds . I was going flat out about 7mph and my mate was about 50 yds to the side watching . The shark then disapeared which was just as well as I was Knackered . This shark was not feeding as he chased me and we were bothe quite shaken up.

a few hundred yds later we passed a much smaller basking shark going the same direction as the first . We left it well alone and I concluded this was the young of the first one hence its actions .

My mates Dad is Doctor Potts a marine biologist at plymouth aquarium . I called him to tell the story and find out what I had done wrong. We used to report all shark and dolphin sightings to Dr Potts .
He was surprised by the sharks action and Iam certain told me that it was nothing to do with caring for young and that they lay eggs . I even seem to remember the description of the egg, it being like a woodscrew so it settles into the sand . He said there was a lot more to learn about basking sharks and that he had spent much time snorkeling with them and studying them .

I must have the info he gave me mixed up unless they have only found out since that they do give birth , the info on the net is quite sketchy but does as you say state that they give birth
Whenever I asked Dr Potts a question the pencil would come out and I would often get an ilustration of the creature , he was a great artist."