Old 17 March 2017, 15:06   #1

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Why GRP and not stainless?

Last year I made a bench seat for my rib using plywood and suitable cushions.
It was rough and ready but worked really well, was strong and comfortable. Its easily removable from the boat via use of M10 bolts and stainless threaded inserts permanently fixed to the deck. See attached picture of the old bench.

I'm now looking to make up a stainless steel frame for the bench seat to replace the ply version.

Before I commit to shelling out a lump of money to a local fabricator does anyone have any comments or suggestions why I shouldn't have a stainless framed bench seat? Most rib bench seats are GRP with perhaps only stainless back rest rails and arm rests.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170306_122520.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	118531  
Old 17 March 2017, 15:16   #2

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Engine: outboards
the only reason is storage,
Old 17 March 2017, 16:03   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
Last year I made a bench seat for my rib using plywood and suitable cushions.
It was rough and ready but worked really well, was strong and comfortable. Its easily removable from the boat via use of M10 bolts and stainless threaded inserts permanently fixed to the deck. See attached picture of the old bench.

I'm now looking to make up a stainless steel frame for the bench seat to replace the ply version.

Before I commit to shelling out a lump of money to a local fabricator does anyone have any comments or suggestions why I shouldn't have a stainless framed bench seat? Most rib bench seats are GRP with perhaps only stainless back rest rails and arm rests.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious?
If you mean replacing all the Ply with Stainless..I'll tell you why people use GRP..

..Cost!...And Weight!..a "one off" custom built piece of kit will always be more expensive than ready made moulded and easily replicated GRP seat.
In terms of weight to strength and maintenance you won't beat GRP...if it's done right.
It tends to look better if all your seats ect are made from the same materials too

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 16:39   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I don't know what the cost would be for your stainless work plus apolstrey or how many can sit on your seat, but if you look on warrior boats web site you can buy two bucket seats with fibreglass bases for £350 each as an alternative.
Old 17 March 2017, 20:14   #5

Thanks for the replies -

Storage - boxes with hinged perhaps lockable lids are useful - but equally under my bench I can slide in coolboxes or builders tubs with fish / bait etc or two scuba sets.

Cost - I can re- use the cushions I already made for the plywood bench - all in including custom cut foam, bases, waterproof durable covering and stainless staples they cost me £48. The best fabrication price for my current frame design in mirror polished finish is around £650 which doesn't seem too bad for seating that will take 3 pax.

Weight - the 32mm stainless tubing, brackets and fixings should come in at around 16-18kg plus cushions at perhaps 4-5kg each. I'm sure this wouldn't be far different to a typical GRP bench box type seat?
Old 17 March 2017, 20:38   #6

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
You do see complete used and or surplus Bench seats from time to time...which can be really good value.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 20:44   #7

Yeah I've been on the lookout - would be ideal solution - anyone have one for sale?
Old 18 March 2017, 08:03   #8

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
I'd have no problems with a stainless frame. I have a rather unique bottle track that also has an easily removable to cushion so works for family trips and dive trips. Have you considered removable cushions or additional tie down points on your frame. With a little thought you could make something really useful and adaptable.

Phil M
Old 18 March 2017, 08:57   #9

Hi Phil, yes a little bit. I've seen another ribcraft with the bottle rack convertible into a bench seat. Trouble is my existing bottle rack is quite small - only takes 4 sets - which is fine - but as a seat would only take 2 pax. I'd like to maximise the size of the bench to the internal width of the boat ideally to seat 3 comfortably.

Any chance you could send me pics of your set up?
Old 18 March 2017, 09:59   #10

Mine isn't a bench but makes a good jockey seat for an adult and small child(7 yo). He can rest his feet on the middle bar and there is a webbing handle to hang on to. The battery box is used for general storage and has fishing tackle in it at the moment but comes out in seconds. At some point I plan to put some mesh netting in the top part of the rack to make a glove, hood and mask store for when diving.

Name:	DSC_0223.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	118542

The top is held in by 2 bolts and a plate.

Name:	DSC_0224.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	118543.

With the top off it looks like this, although I hadn't finished fitting it when the last photo was taken.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150208_154226.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	118541  
Old 19 March 2017, 20:42   #11

Town: Iksal village
Boat name: C-Scanner
Make: rib520
Engine: suzuki70 df
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil M View Post
Mine isn't a bench but makes a good jockey seat for an adult and small child(7 yo). He can rest his feet on the middle bar and there is a webbing handle to hang on to. The battery box is used for general storage and has fishing tackle in it at the moment but comes out in seconds. At some point I plan to put some mesh netting in the top part of the rack to make a glove, hood and mask store for when diving.

Attachment 118542

The top is held in by 2 bolts and a plate.

Attachment 118543.

With the top off it looks like this, although I hadn't finished fitting it when the last photo was taken.

Phil
How much can this cost?
Looks lovely.
Is it attached at the 2 touching points/plates with the jocky fiber or only the upper plate?
Old 19 March 2017, 21:08   #12

The cost was almost nothing to me. I was given the frame and the cushion is an offcut of ply with about £8 worth of foam and vinyl. The frame is attached by bolts through the deck and 4 M6 bolts to the jockey console (M6 are stronger than most people think). The cushion is held down by the front Bradley and bolt to the cushion and the rear plate to the frame. The steel plates were also made from offcuts. I'm lucky that I have a full workshop, lathe, drill and welding capability at home so can make stuff like this, although the frame would be beyond my capabilities.

Phil M
Old 19 March 2017, 21:10   #13

Town: Iksal village
Boat name: C-Scanner
Make: rib520
Engine: suzuki70 df
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil M View Post
The cost was almost nothing to me. I was given the frame and the cushion is an offcut of ply with about £8 worth of foam and vinyl. The frame is attached by bolts through the deck and 4 M6 bolts to the jockey console (M6 are stronger than most people think). The cushion is held down by the front Bradley and bolt to the cushion and the rear plate to the frame. The steel plates were also made from offcuts. I'm lucky that I have a full workshop, lathe, drill and welding capability at home so can make stuff like this, although the frame would be beyond my capabilities.

Phil M
[emoji106]