Old 09 June 2010, 05:41   #51
Town: quimper
Boat name: kai 2
Make: capelli
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 100
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
All I can say is, last september I had to go from Poole Harbour to Cowes for a three day charity sailing event. I decided to get there usuing my Rib, upon launching from Parkstone Bay marina the guy getting my Rib off the dry stack said, "your not seriously going out in this weather are you"?, it was pretty awfull but being new to boating and seeking an adventure I did, I was about the only boat out that day and the weather was horrible, took me three hours to get there and could do no more than about 17knots, the deep vee certainly helped (cobra 7.5M with 200 two stoke yamaha) and after a while I started to enjoy it and didnt feel in any danger at any time, the hull just handled everything perfectly. I did arrive completly knackered and very wet ! but recovered with a few hard drinks in a local pub. LOL

I think with our unpredictable weather a deep vee has it's benefits in the UK
Sounds a bit like the weather I had to face crossing back from Belle Ile to the mainland last summer. The rest of the family opted for the ferry, so I was on my own! It's 15km, and I got pretty wet. Although the Capelli did actually handle it fairly well, I could most probably have gone faster with a deeper V.

A good chunk of France has very similar sea conditions to the UK. First, there is the channel from Calais to Roscoff, pretty similar to Dover to Plymouth. Then Brest to the Morbihan is pretty similar to Cornwall to S.Wales. Of course, the Med is a different kettle of fish!

bernithebiker is offline   Reply With Quote