Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 27 September 2008, 12:19   #1
Member
 
SeaSkills's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 632
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Who remembers "Seamanship"?

From some of the threads on this forum recently (and from some discussions outside of this forum) I can't help wondering what has happened to the idea of good seamanship. Is it unfashionable nowadays to talk about having respect for the sea, about driving with care, and about avoiding danger? There seems to be a body of opinion that RIBs are actually much safer than they really are, and that no matter what happens you'll be OK if you're in a RIB.

Of course this only applies to a few, but it does seem to be more prevalent than it was just a few years ago. I don't really know why this is. I read that - paradoxically - the increased attention to Health and Safety has meant that people (especially young people) are not as skilled as they used to be in identifying danger for themselves, and also the rescue services are so much more efficient that there is an assumption that there is always someone there to bail you out if you get into trouble.
__________________

__________________
SEASKILLS TRAINING
Web; www.seaskills.co.uk
Email; info@seaskills.co.uk
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 12:25   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
I think I was trying to make a similar point in a rather less subtle way when suggesting that ramming one's boat into the sea and ripping the screen off is avoidable. Others disagree.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 12:49   #3
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
You'll find that allot of the divide between Sail boat owners and power boat owners is due to the same thing. Although it's not fair to tar everyone with the same brush just because of a pre conceived idea or seeing a few bad eggs. But sadly many people who sail do.
I contacted a the owners of a boat club who have a slipway about 2 miles away from my front door. I was asked what boat I would be launching and when I mentioned RIB I was told that this was a sail only club and they didn't suffer fools in rubber rings!

My brother has told me that when he's been out sailing he has been put in some dangerous positions by people who don't know the very basics of giving way to sail.
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 13:58   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
You'll find that allot of the divide between Sail boat owners and power boat owners is due to the same thing. Although it's not fair to tar everyone with the same brush just because of a pre conceived idea or seeing a few bad eggs. But sadly many people who sail do.
I contacted a the owners of a boat club who have a slipway about 2 miles away from my front door. I was asked what boat I would be launching and when I mentioned RIB I was told that this was a sail only club and they didn't suffer fools in rubber rings!

My brother has told me that when he's been out sailing he has been put in some dangerous positions by people who don't know the very basics of giving way to sail.
Giving way to sail is one thing but putting a washing line on your boat does not give you god given rights, I see alot of bad seamanship from all types and size of craft
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 14:04   #5
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Oh I agree, some of the things I've seen and heard about is amazing. But if your trying to keep in a very narrow channel in a 38ft sailing yacht and some one force you to tack hard then it really does get very hairy. So it's not god given rights but common sense.
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 14:08   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Oh I agree, some of the things I've seen and heard about is amazing. But if your trying to keep in a very narrow channel in a 38ft sailing yacht and some one force you to tack hard then it really does get very hairy. So it's not god given rights but common sense.
although some people might argue that good seamanship would either be to preempt the stupid mobo or use the engine to navigate very narrow channels in busy waters where other craft are likely to make navigation complicated.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 14:08   #7
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Oh I agree, some of the things I've seen and heard about is amazing. But if your trying to keep in a very narrow channel in a 38ft sailing yacht and some one force you to tack hard then it really does get very hairy. So it's not god given rights but common sense.
Yep but motoring with the sail up and claiming to be a sailing boat is taking the too
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 14:20   #8
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
A sailing boat under power is not sailing so would give way to sail as well. And no you wouldn't sail a narrow channel in busy waters. But you would if it wasn't busy and then a jet ski/power boat comes out of no where.
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 15:25   #9
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,933
Sail or Motorboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
Yep but motoring with the sail up and claiming to be a sailing boat is taking the too
And pound to a penny there was no triangle in the rigging either
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 15:44   #10
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I think I was trying to make a similar point in a rather less subtle way when suggesting that ramming one's boat into the sea and ripping the screen off is avoidable. Others disagree.
Reading those posts in sequence would suggest that perhaps the lack of subtlety was what they/we disagreed with. It's like an new Etec owner asking the forum how to winterise his engine. "RTFM" immediately springs to mind but the answers tend to be gentler, and the lesson is easier to learn.....
__________________

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.