Old 24 July 2008, 03:59   #11

Town: Far west!
Boat name: Vigilant
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp
Very different this far south - 30 at Hamble Point Marina! Lovely slip though...

To be fair, there are a couple of free ones locally but they're pretty crap...

Old 24 July 2008, 05:26   #12

Town: Hull, East Yorkshire
Boat name: Hull Uni One
Make: Humber
Engine: OB, Petrol, 140HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirehorse View Post
It certainly is but do you not find that where ever there is a need there is a greedy person waiting to cash in.
We usually launch at the Humber rescue slip at Hessle foreshore (under the Humber Bridge). You can 'hire' keys for the slip by making an annual donation to Humber rescue (currently 40 per year).

The only disadvantage is that you're about 1-1.5 hours from open sea!

Old 24 July 2008, 16:19   #13

Town: Durham
Boat name: Hati Hati
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Suzuki DF175
MMSI: 235064194
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirehorse View Post
Thanks brian yes we did launch there was a couple of dive ribs but we all made it short trips, not to pleasant out there but got to do alot of docking practice and boat work that i had forgotten from my training days. I bet its real nice running down to Scarborough on a good, I found out that the marina would launch and recover me so will just go with the motorhome next time. Whats hartlepool got to offer?.
IAN
Ian

I've launched once at Hartlepool. There are two slips. There's one which is inside the marina, and then there's a second one which is outside of the marina lock gates. The latter one is apparently difficult much below high water, as there are lots of rocks around the slip.

The slip which puts you inside the marina is somewhat difficult. While the slip is good and wide, it's got a steel rail barring access. It has a gate in the middle of the rail (get the key for a deposit from the marina office 10), but the gate is just a couple of feet wider than the boat. Also, you can't approach it directly (perpendicular to the water line), since it has a wall preventing you from doing so. Consequently, you have to approach the slip parallel to the water line, and then make awkward turns to manoeuvere the boat through the gap. It may be easier to separate the trailer from the car and then man-handle the boat through the gap.

If this SE wind dies down and the sea state improves, I may launch there tomorrow afternoon. Fishing is pretty good. There are a lot of wrecks in the area for fishing and diving. Coast-line's not as pretty as that around Whitby, but the Marina's quite nice. A bit of sunshine makes the difference!!

Cheers,,,,, Brian
Old 24 July 2008, 16:25   #14

Town: Durham
Boat name: Hati Hati
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Suzuki DF175
MMSI: 235064194
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
18 pounds to launch a boat? Is that not a bit steep?
Bruce

18 is steep, The web-site www.boatlaunch.co.uk quotes 8 to launch, but they fail to mention the car and trailer parking fee. Not too bad if you're sharing costs with mates.

Cheers,,, Brian
Old 25 July 2008, 02:24   #15

Town: lincoln
Boat name: blazer
Make: BWM
Engine: YAMAHA 115hp
MMSI: 235059902
The sunshine makes all the difference on the east coast Brian, hope you have a good day weather looks promising.The cost at Whitby does allow me to park my motorhome in safe surroundings all day IAN.