Old 28 June 2013, 12:08   #41

Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Ribs can sit in the worst of weather, but you need to keep the water out of the inside somehow.

Ours was a swing. Tide and wind have different effects on the boat.

Have a look at it in the water and look at the water line on the transom.

You will definitely need a bilge pump though and without a well at the rear, it will constantly be slightly full of water. With the pump only pumping to about 2" on the deck, that is a lot of water, which will raise the waterline on the transom even further!! Then when rough, the bow lifts, the water rushes to the back, drops the stern further and then waves come over filling it up and overwhelming the bilge. Worth considering.

How to cure it? Firstly glass up the flooding hull. Don't buy the kits, theyare crap at the rear, but the plugs for the front venting holes do work. A good boat builder can then cut a hole in the rear of the deck in to the void and then sit a box in it to create the well!! Just make sure once the deck is cut, it is sealed very well so water doesn't get in to the deck itself.

Problem is, smaller ribs just aren't designed to be left on a mooring all summer season.

If it does flood though, it won't sink, it will just have water up to the tube line/transom line. If your battery is above that waterline, ie in a console rather than on the deck in a box, it should be ok. If your fuel tanks have the vent shut and are floating, you can hop on, drop the engine, start her up and power on. Water rocks backwards over the transom, then with the elephant trunk down it will drain out slowly.
Thanks for taking the time to write all that, much appreciated.
The boat will hopefully be stuck in a little natural harbour with rocks all around to bash any big waves up, so it should not be hit by anything big and mighty. And while the weather is good it will be on a running mooring just next to where I work.

Do you think I need one over five metres?
Old 28 June 2013, 12:11   #42

Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
No tide worthy of the name in Gigha Ardminish is sheltered from the prevailing winds so very little wave action. I'd imagine that a moored boat there will face into the wind most of the time.
You are correct, quite a few yachts moor out here each day and they always face into the wind.
Old 28 June 2013, 12:17   #43

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:

Doubt RibQUEST will be very happy with that comment.

That's the trouble with Ribtec, Ribcraft, Ribex, Ribquest, Ribeye....

Easily confused until you realise you are on the wrong one.

Hold on, the Ribeye aren't easily confused. Blue and white striped seats, boom box and full of wetsuit/drysuit clad chiildren hanging off the toobs .
They do tend to merge after a bit!..Well It looks Good anway!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 12:18   #44

Quote:

Doubt RibQUEST will be very happy with that comment.

That's the trouble with Ribtec, Ribcraft, Ribex, Ribquest, Ribeye....

Easily confused until you realise you are on the wrong one.

Hold on, the Ribeye aren't easily confused. Blue and white striped seats, boom box and full of wetsuit/drysuit clad chiildren hanging off the toobs .
They do tend to merge after a bit! ..Well It looks Good anway!

Old 28 June 2013, 12:20   #45

Double Post

Old 28 June 2013, 12:27   #46

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write all that, much appreciated.
The boat will hopefully be stuck in a little natural harbour with rocks all around to bash any big waves up, so it should not be hit by anything big and mighty. And while the weather is good it will be on a running mooring just next to where I work.

Do you think I need one over five metres?
You're welcom. Just don't want you to launch, moor it up, look at it and be really proud, only to walk down next week and it be flooded.

No. To be fair, if it's sheltered there's not much difference between the 4.7 and 5.4. And if you are near it, you can keep an eye on it.

I would however recommend very strongly 2 things. 1. If possible, fit the battery above the floodline, this is as important for when in the rough and you stuff and flood the boat as it is on the mooring. 2. have/make a small well at the rear . As with the battery, it's 2 fold, makes for a drier deck when in use, but also the abilty to fit a bilge for use on the mooring.
Old 28 June 2013, 12:44   #47

Town: Dun Laoghaire
Quote:
You're welcom. Just don't want you to launch, moor it up, look at it and be really proud, only to walk down next week and it be flooded.

No. To be fair, if it's sheltered there's not much difference between the 4.7 and 5.4. And if you are near it, you can keep an eye on it.

I would however recommend very strongly 2 things. 1. If possible, fit the battery above the floodline, this is as important for when in the rough and you stuff and flood the boat as it is on the mooring. 2. have/make a small well at the rear . As with the battery, it's 2 fold, makes for a drier deck when in use, but also the abilty to fit a bilge for use on the mooring.
X2
from past nasty experience a flooded boat = destroyed battery cables... .
RIBS dont act like keelboats on a mooring either.... they swing around in the wind much more. Even small waves lapping at the stern may cause the boat to flood over a period.
Also from past nasty experience make sure that your elephants trunk does not leak and is well tied up!
Old 28 June 2013, 12:48   #48

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
alternatively we could all buy the new inshore transomless atlantics

The deck is pretty high though
Old 28 June 2013, 14:52   #49

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Oh... and I'd get a BIGGER GARAGE!
Nah, growing out for the smaller ribs now....

Sibs for fun, ribs for a run You said it first Whisper, signed willk
Old 28 June 2013, 20:38   #50

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I should like to draw Senior Council's attention to the OP's intention to moor said vessel in a "sheltered bay", to whit, Ardminish Bay, Gigha, the location whereat attack of said barnacles is likely to occur...

For clarity that was exactly my point. Getting worried now that Willk and I have been on the same message twice in a week. Come on Poly keep up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
But you can block the flooding hull easily enough if you are keeping afloat.
You can. And I read what people said about transom height. BUT the reason the SR has a flooding hull is it makes it very stable when stationary. That also means if the hull is flooded its more likely to behave like a keel boat. Comes back to the basis of my original post which was basically that people on here tend to give you their personal opinions of which is their favourite boat not what is the right boat for the person asking the question.
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
"Twin 40s = twin everything
Another case of people answering their preferences rather than what the OP needs. Been a while since I've been up Ghia direction. Don't remember there being that much boat traffic - maybe a fair bit of WAFIs during nice days in summer, but 'off-peak' it could get loanly. Can't think of a nearby lifeboat which means if you do hit a problem its a long wait? Hopefully just for a tow having anchored rather than to be saved from a more dangerous situation. So the redundancy of twins has an appeal if I was in that situation. Especially as has been pointed out this set up is likely to have virtually independant engines rather than two engines feeding from central fuel and battery. You'd only manual start in an emergency...

BUT! Twin 40's wont give the umph of an 80. Think people might say ~ 60? But will consume the fuel of 2 x 40 rather than either a 60 or 80...

Tags
rib