Old 10 January 2006, 15:09   #21

Town: Devon
Boat name: Magnum Force
Make: Cougar R8
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado 275HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwozere
Actually, he is letting everyone know what towing vehicle he is gonna use.. Be pretty pointless him buying a 7.5m rib based on advice, then posting saying he can't tow it behind his 205..

Again, Magnum is letting people know he has had experience of boating, so it saves the usual, "are you sure you want to buy something that big straight away," posts..
Thank you. Nail hit on head.

Didn't mention anything about size of current boat, or value or location. Most people can appreciate the difference between saying "Not my 1st boat or only one" and "I own a brand new Princess P67 motor yacht worth £1.4 million in Mallorca"

Anyway, back on topic.

Spoke to Scorpion and they suggest an 8,1m or 8.5m but cannot supply until end of August. Revenger (not surprisingly) are suggesting a 29 and can supply in 8 weeks. Fitted with a pair of Evinrude 225 E-Tec's the performance would be there, but maybe the Scorpion's are a little better suited to rough water? Calling Pascoe shortly.
Old 10 January 2006, 15:11   #22

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
. I've justed looked at your pic of Chesil Beach from the top of Portland Hill. I lived just up the road from there as a kid for a few years. The bridge which joins the beach to the mainland is Ferry Bridge. We used to jump off it on an out-going tide and get carried out into the harbour until it shallowed enough to walk back in. Good days.
Old 10 January 2006, 15:19   #23

[QUOTE=Magnum] Thank you. Nail hit on head.

Didn't mention anything about size of current boat, or value or location. Most people can appreciate the difference between saying "Not my 1st boat or only one" and "I own a brand new Princess P67 motor yacht worth £1.4 million in Mallorca"

Blimey!! You're doing it again!! I don't give a F*** what you're other boat is worth! It's irrelevant! OK, you've got shed loads! Stop trying to let everyone know about it. Are you a short fat, bald bloke with a small dick? There's a pile of insecurity there somewhere.
Old 10 January 2006, 15:23   #24

[QUOTE=Mollulnan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum
Thank you. Nail hit on head.

Blimey!! You're doing it again!! I don't give a F*** what you're other boat is worth! It's irrelevant! OK, you've got shed loads! Stop trying to let everyone know about it. Are you a short fat, bald bloke with a small dick? There's a pile of insecurity there somewhere.
You're right. Shall we talk cars? What about property?

Alternatively YOU COULD JUST STAY ON TOPIC. Just a thought
Old 10 January 2006, 15:26   #25

Another thing to consider is fuel burn rates. The reports I've read regarding E-TEC's say they are more ecomomical than others of a similar power. Any first hand experience of this, or alternatives? Would prefer to stay 2-stroke for acceleration and weight.
Old 10 January 2006, 15:33   #26

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum
Another thing to consider is fuel burn rates. The reports I've read regarding E-TEC's say they are more ecomomical than others of a similar power. Any first hand experience of this, or alternatives? Would prefer to stay 2-stroke for acceleration and weight.
Personally I would go for the ETEC 250s - has to be the lightest engine for it's power.

At full throttle there appears to be little difference between any of the engines anyway.

As to choice of boat I would go for a Pascoe SR9 if money no object. Also the Revenger stepped hull is supposed to be brilliant - one of the Norwegian commerical teams uses them and swears by them - 29' would be the one to go for. If you get new ask for Mr Tilley's tubes!!!

If you want to use the boat only in the rough stuff then you will need a different design - something with an upturned bow for example.
Old 10 January 2006, 15:35   #27

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
riva at www.ribsforsale.com has a couple of ballistic 7.8's in with 250 e-tecs on the back, just dont ask him about fuel consumption right now...
Old 10 January 2006, 15:42   #28

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911
riva at has a couple of ballistic 7.8's in with 250 e-tecs on the back, just dont ask him about fuel consumption right now...
Old 10 January 2006, 18:21   #29

Town: Guernsey
Make: Pending
Prosport

I would think Redbay. But would anyone recommend Prosport?
R.
Old 10 January 2006, 18:51   #30

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
.........and if you look at Redbay then you definitely have to consider Excalibur too. They'll build pretty much whatever you want and are prettty much bombproof. I know a few Redbay owners who are considering changing over, and even a few who say that they Redbay need to catch up

http://www.excaliburribs.com/gallery.htm

Regardless, if you really want a tough rugged boat for ploughing through heavy seas, I would say that you should be looking at Excalibur, Redbay, Ribcraft, Delta, Halmatic and even Boomeranger ahead of Scorpion, Revenger, Pascoe and the like. The hardnose Scorpion would be the exception though, would look nice next to your hardboat!!

Just my opinion, but there are a few alternatives there to consider.
Old 10 January 2006, 19:03   #31

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
going back to your original requirements! you specified twin engines is this for redundancy or speed.

Assuming two big uns would burn 60 lph each cruising and should give you 40 knots at that then you are looking at a 40 knot 80 mile channel crossing using 300lph (thats including 20% extra fuel for luck) get twin 200/250 lph tanks and you are laughing, If I was you i'd spec ali tanks perhaps that should be if you was me I'd spec ali tanks

do you want a cabin rib or open
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2006, 19:24   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
going back to your original requirements! you specified twin engines is this for redundancy or speed.
Redundancy. A small auxillary isn't much use half way across the channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
do you want a cabin rib or open
Open.

Spoke to Mark Pascoe earlier. Nice bloke and interesting chat. Beautiful, fast RIBS at the top end of the pricing scale. The SR9 looks awesome and will take up to 2x300HP. Top speed would be something silly like 70+ knots and 50-60 knots would be plenty, so maybe 2x225 or 2x250 would be better. Full package would be be bucks though. I think I'll take a trip to Revenger and Pascoe's operation and have a look.
Old 10 January 2006, 21:10   #33

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
If you ar ecoming down from Cheshire the good news is that Pascoes and Revengers are fairly close to each other. The Revenger owner doesn't like Mark very much, it goes back to the racing days

Mark is a good guy and he makes eckskwizit boats, he is a perfectionist's perfectionist and you pay for what you get!

I guess Scorpions have ruled themselves out via timescale but if you are in the area I'd definitely have a look at an Evo which have great looks and are cost effective and perform very well, if you are lucky then the builder neil Holmes will take you out for a spin. whichever boat you have bought you might consider using his performance boat schools services to get the best from yours

Likewise Cookees boat is also well worth a look and it seems to get better and better
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2006, 21:22   #34
Bou

Town: Zaanstad
Boat name: Overpowerd
Make: Marshall 470
Engine: Mercury 90hp ELPTO
Why is nobody talking about Osprey? They are very fast and handles great in choppy waters.

http://www.ospreyrib.com/osprey-eng/lynx.htm
Old 10 January 2006, 21:25   #35

Anything that costs less than £60k isn't in the running Bou. This guy is very, very rich , hadn't you noticed?!
Old 10 January 2006, 21:54   #36

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
empty your pm box Mollers!
Old 10 January 2006, 22:02   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow
empty your pm box Mollers!
Done.
Old 10 January 2006, 22:08   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
Anything that costs less than £60k isn't in the running Bou. This guy is very, very rich , hadn't you noticed?!
You seem to be preocupied with money. Would you like to talk about it? A problem shared is a problem halved etc.

Even though I don't really know you I feel a strange desire to help. Were you bullied at school? Maybe (touchy subject this) you are the one lacking in the wedding tackle department?

It's OK though, this is just a forum where people learn and share information about RIBS, so you can forget all that nasty stuff and relax
Old 10 January 2006, 22:17   #39

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
Not a RIB but could be the ticket!

http://www.edisposals.com/is-bin/INT...mpTo=OfferList

Shaggy
Old 10 January 2006, 22:21   #40

I think that I'm ok in both depts thanks. 6'2" and 15 stone kinda took care of both, thanks all the same. Defi no prob with money either, I just think it a little crass to mention one's wealth. My wife has a friend who's husband has a 9 seater private jet and a Helicopter which the wife gets to flit off for lunch in, the cool thing is, no one knows about either other than very close friends.