Closed Thread

Old 19 October 2018, 09:56   #1

Town: Plymouth
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200
MMSI: 232019634
Which RIBs do you recommend

As I am now searching for my first 6.0 - 7.0 metre RIB, for family and leisure use around the South Devon coast. I would be interested to know from forum members which manufacturers you class as 'recommended', 'not recommended', and why.

I understand that there will be a certain amount of "This make is good because it's the one I own", but I would appreciate some good honest help in deciding my short list.

Many thanks in advance.....
Old 19 October 2018, 10:22   #2

Length: 7m +
Just avoid chinese imports.
Look for UK manufacturers.

My list;

Normal priced
Cobra
Ribeye
Ribquest
Humber
Ribcraft
Perhaps an older Scorpion (new scorpions crazy prices)
Old 19 October 2018, 11:17   #3

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Ribcraft and Ribeye and the Local market leaders.
Old 19 October 2018, 14:48   #4

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
I will always loved the Zodiac Pro Open 650. Lots of seating, Category B rating. Performs well with 115 or 150 hp, rated up to 175 on the newer models.
Old 19 October 2018, 18:18   #5

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: te koko
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: suzuki df90 hp
RIBase
As someone from that area I Would recommend a Ribcraft 6.8 pro or the 750s.
But Ribeye would also be an obvious top pick.
Old 19 October 2018, 18:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Just avoid chinese imports.
Look for UK manufacturers.

My list;

Normal priced
Cobra
Ribeye
Ribquest
Humber
Ribcraft
Perhaps an older Scorpion (new scorpions crazy prices)
I would add osprey, XS and Parker to this but the price swing between all these will be huge.
Old 19 October 2018, 22:26   #7

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
I've been very happy with my zodiac 550 pro tour, incredibly good on fuel from just a Yam f70 which is partly due to a slight change in hull design for newer models ( larger strakes for more lift and stability). I tow mine all over Australia and barely notice its behind the tow vehicle. Would be keen on a 650 pro but the extra running costs and the fact it wouldn't fit in my garage would mean keeping it outside in intense sun conditions.

Other ribs I regularly use include a 550 gemini, 770 gemini ( both very wet boats) and the latest dive boat I've been driving a 9m Naiad. Most fun is still my little 550 for ease of use in surf conditions, dangerous bar crossings and even offshore game fishing ( 80km offshore) 300km safe range on a single tank of fuel

Always keen to try any other make but unfortunately ribs aren't that popular this side of the pond.

The downside of Zodiac in this country is the rediculus price they now cost.
Old 20 October 2018, 07:05   #8

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
I would add osprey, XS and Parker to this but the price swing between all these will be huge.
yep I would have added Parker also as they are fine boats and have a good rep, just didnt think many of them around at a reasonable price for a first Rib, went more for whats on the market in decent quantities and a few years old and of that size.
Old 20 October 2018, 08:57   #9

Town: Plymouth
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha 200
MMSI: 232019634
Thankyou everyone. Plenty to go on there. Not much around at the moment but hopefully that will change ..........
Old 20 October 2018, 09:30   #10

Town: Sark
Boat name: Go Ballistico
Make: Naiad
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo Kad 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocker View Post
As I am now searching for my first 6.0 - 7.0 metre RIB, for family and leisure use around the South Devon coast. I would be interested to know from forum members which manufacturers you class as 'recommended', 'not recommended', and why.

I understand that there will be a certain amount of "This make is good because it's the one I own", but I would appreciate some good honest help in deciding my short list.

Many thanks in advance.....
I have an older Ballistic 7.8, I believe the newer models and smaller ones all share the same unique reverse chine hull which works very well for me. I don't see a great deal on the forum about ballistics but have not seen any negative comments. Unfortunately I have not tried many other RIBs so can't offer a comparison. I do know that the customer service at JBT marine both before and after sale is highly regarded.
Old 20 October 2018, 10:38   #11

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
You may make more sense of asking 'which brands should I avoid?'. Asking the question the other way around invites an eye rolling amount of bigging up what you own etc. You may argue that that's first hand experience, but if those offering the opinion have no experience of any other brand and possibly little experience with what they own, the opinions are of pretty low value. They may've stumbled upon 'what they own' without having gone through much of a research and testing process.

I've seen one or two 'big ups' here that I wouldn't touch, but that's just my opinion.
Old 20 October 2018, 22:15   #12

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
You may make more sense of asking 'which brands should I avoid?'. Asking the question the other way around invites an eye rolling amount of bigging up what you own etc. You may argue that that's first hand experience, but if those offering the opinion have no experience of any other brand and possibly little experience with what they own, the opinions are of pretty low value. They may've stumbled upon 'what they own' without having gone through much of a research and testing process.

I've seen one or two 'big ups' here that I wouldn't touch, but that's just my opinion.
Anyone considering buying would be pretty silly not to research any high priced purchase. Personaly after 43 years of boat owning I take very little notice of boating magazine reviews ( I've worked with them) and people's opinions on these type sites.

However a big site like should have enough people to offer a trip in their boat to get a feel of how good these boats actually are, especially in poor weather.

It's very hard to find one boat that ticks all the boxes of people's requirements, for a few years I owned three simply for that reason.

This isn't about putting down anyone's opinions on what they own, what's right for one persons needs may not be right for another.
Old 21 October 2018, 10:29   #13

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Hmm v nice https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Osprey-Vi...-/192685685947
Old 21 October 2018, 19:27   #14

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Personally i would steer clear of any boat where the age is not quoted
Old 21 October 2018, 19:31   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post

Seems an odd thing to do when you could just pop hopalong a PM and find out For sale: Osprey Vipermax 7.0m Honda 225
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80112

Or you may actually get more information talking to the person who reconditioned it (also referred to in that thread).
Old 21 October 2018, 22:43   #16

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Sorry but where does this imply i am refering to the linked osprey on ebay ,which has a registration date in the listing as 2004 ??:
Old 22 October 2018, 16:40   #17

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
There are good Chinese brands or rather Ribs made in China. Like so many things, where something is made is often hard to get at. Look at as many as you can and go on the condition of the Rib and Engine rather than the make.

Also budget will have a big impact.
Old 22 October 2018, 17:01   #18
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
There are good Chinese brands or rather Ribs made in China. Like so many things, where something is made is often hard to get at.
I can’t think of any credible rib brand where someone on this forum can not tell you where it is made. Often they can even tell you if they outsource tube making and to who. I can only think of one Chinese build boat I would consider putting on my shortlist - and I know that some people on here would question the welding quality on that.

Now SIBs may be a different kettle of fish.
Old 22 October 2018, 17:04   #19
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Sorry but where does this imply i am refering to the linked osprey on ebay ,which has a registration date in the listing as 2004 ??:

Sorry I assumed you were replying to the post above it. Did someone mention a boat without an age then?
Old 22 October 2018, 18:23   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
There are good Chinese brands or rather Ribs made in China. Like so many things, where something is made is often hard to get at. Look at as many as you can and go on the condition of the Rib and Engine rather than the make.

Also budget will have a big impact.
Would really struggle to recommend a Chinese RIB, some of the best ribs in world are built here, don't throw that advantage away!

Whilst condition is important I would take a 5 year old "good make" in decent nick over a spank new anything chinese every day of the week and twice on sunday.

There is a boat for most budgets available in the UK, 99% chance it will be well built. Also decent second hand market if you are patient.

Tags
rib