Old 22 October 2018, 19:06   #21

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Would really struggle to recommend a Chinese RIB, some of the best ribs in world are built here, don't throw that advantage away!

Whilst condition is important I would take a 5 year old "good make" in decent nick over a spank new anything chinese every day of the week and twice on sunday.

There is a boat for most budgets available in the UK, 99% chance it will be well built. Also decent second hand market if you are patient.
The only Chinesx RIB's worth a 2nd look.... are at the Takeawy!!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Old 22 October 2018, 21:21   #22

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
It's pretty easy to see which manufactures have been around the longest and which are used by the Navy and other government boats around the world. These boats are used for a reason and that reason adds to the resale value.
Old 23 October 2018, 06:55   #23

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
It's pretty easy to see which manufactures have been around the longest and which are used by the Navy and other government boats around the world. These boats are used for a reason and that reason adds to the resale value.
People are not always looking for a boat that they could use to assault the beeches like the Navy Seals and also people are not always concerned with resale value

I remember in the world of motorbikes the Phrase Jap Crap..... It was not crap for long

The Chinese are getting there if not already there. This was very evident at the Southampton boat show this year
Old 23 October 2018, 07:19   #24

Town: Plymouth
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200
MMSI: 232019634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
The only Chinesx RIB's worth a 2nd look.... are at the Takeawy!!
Old 23 October 2018, 07:24   #25

Quote:
I do agree, and longevity and resale value are high on my list of priorities.
The problem is that those boats do not come up for sale very often, so patience is a definite virtue.
Old 23 October 2018, 08:01   #26

Make: Zodiac
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
People are not always looking for a boat that they could use to assault the beeches like the Navy Seals and also people are not always concerned with resale value

I remember in the world of motorbikes the Phrase Jap Crap..... It was not crap for long

The Chinese are getting there if not already there. This was very evident at the Southampton boat show this year
We went to the show last month, saw all the RIB's - inc the Chinese manufactured brands - 5 years down the line would you be left with a worthless falling apart floating disaster? Who knows
My money would be spent on a known brand with credentials that span many decades, a manufacturer that's got a good reputation and offers a aftersales service that means something, that's where I 've spent my money in the past and will continue to do so
Old 23 October 2018, 08:55   #27

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
[QUOTE=Fender;784980]We went to the show last month, saw all the RIB's - inc the Chinese manufactured brands - 5 years down the line would you be left with a worthless falling apart floating disaster? Who knows :whistling

I too went to the show last month ,reason was i had upgrade money to spend from the sale of my chinese rib (which i was,nt aware it was chinese till the barage of these sort of uneducated posts ) ............Now i too was looking for an english rib and have a couple of quotes on the table now ,i am proud to be british and have worked in british industry all my life and this is what leads me too my quest to buy british as my first option ,nothing to do with the quality ,usability or resale of the overseas options which tbh you cannot fault ,anyway the trailer and engine and electronic ,options will be the same on either new or used ! english or oversea !
oh ,and by the way i had my chinese rib four years new 2014 and sold earlier 2018 for 7% more than i paid ,looked as good as new ,certainly not a sinking disaster (just to give you a real situaton
Old 23 October 2018, 09:32   #28

[QUOTE=Orwell boy;784987]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
We went to the show last month, saw all the RIB's - inc the Chinese manufactured brands - 5 years down the line would you be left with a worthless falling apart floating disaster? Who knows :whistling

I too went to the show last month ,reason was i had upgrade money to spend from the sale of my chinese rib (which i was,nt aware it was chinese till the barage of these sort of uneducated posts ) ............Now i too was looking for an english rib and have a couple of quotes on the table now ,i am proud to be british and have worked in british industry all my life and this is what leads me too my quest to buy british as my first option ,nothing to do with the quality ,usability or resale of the overseas options which tbh you cannot fault ,anyway the trailer and engine and electronic ,options will be the same on either new or used ! english or oversea !
oh ,and by the way i had my chinese rib four years new 2014 and sold earlier 2018 for 7% more than i paid ,looked as good as new ,certainly not a sinking disaster (just to give you a real situaton
I've seen personally the crap welding and tube issues on a certain country's efforts on RIB manufacturing, so thankyou but I'm not entirely uneducated in this matter, glad you were happy with yours
Old 23 October 2018, 09:52   #29

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
[QUOTE=Fender;784991]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post

I've seen personally the crap welding and tube issues on a certain country's efforts on RIB manufacturing, so thankyou but I'm not entirely uneducated in this matter, glad you were happy with yours
Have to agree.

We had a look at a certain Chinese RIB at a dealer recently and while the welding that was immediately apparent look ok, we opened the hatch near the transom and some of the welding on the knees fixing the transom looked like it had been done by a five year old
Old 23 October 2018, 10:20   #30

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
[QUOTE=Orwell boy;784987]
Quote:
We went to the show last month, saw all the RIB's - inc the Chinese manufactured brands - 5 years down the line would you be left with a worthless falling apart floating disaster? Who knows :whistling

Jolly decent of you to sell a 4 year old China boat for more than you paid for it probably to someone green to boating who needed a kind helping hand into owning a rib. Bravo [emoji106]
Old 23 October 2018, 10:35   #31

Hang-on!! Give-us-a-sec, just going to flick the kettle on and then settle down with some

Think this might turn into one of THOSE threads.................
Old 23 October 2018, 10:44   #32

Quote:
Hang-on!! Give-us-a-sec, just going to flick the kettle on and then settle down with some

Think this might turn into one of THOSE threads.................
I think it already has.........

As the initiator of this thread, would it help if I stated right here and now I will NOT be buying a Chinese RIB?
Old 23 October 2018, 11:01   #33

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Not sure how small boat industry in the U.K. is going but many of the well known good manufactures now do their builds in China reducing their costs. Even the major breweries make our beer for us know.

I remember when fishing gear like penn was regarded as quality US rods and reels, now they all seem to have the made in China sticker.

It seems China is also building most of our Navy ships, probably so they can remotely switch them off when they go to war with us
Old 23 October 2018, 11:09   #34

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocker View Post
[emoji38][emoji38] I think it already has.........

As the initiator of this thread, would it help if I stated right here and now I will NOT be buying a Chinese RIB?
[emoji106] [emoji106]
Old 23 October 2018, 11:19   #35

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocker View Post
I think it already has.........

the important question is are you going to fit an auxiliary ob
Old 23 October 2018, 11:22   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
the important question is are you going to fit an auxiliary ob
REALLY!!!!!
Old 23 October 2018, 11:24   #37

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Not sure how small boat industry in the U.K. is going but many of the well known good manufactures now do their builds in China reducing their costs. Even the major breweries make our beer for us know.

I remember when fishing gear like penn was regarded as quality US rods and reels, now they all seem to have the made in China sticker.

It seems China is also building most of our Navy ships, probably so they can remotely switch them off when they go to war with us
Ships!???
....Not SO Bad...They're building Nuclear Power Stations over here!...fingers crossed they're better than their RIB's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Old 23 October 2018, 11:44   #38

Quote:

+1
On a serious note, south coast boat builder was building their RIB's in-house, then to save costs the hulls were made in Poland, shipped back and sold here , having spoken to a fitter that worked at the yard ( I've known him for a number of years ) they have major quality issues, even had to junk some of the new 'overseas' hulls, scary! ( I don't feel its appropriate to name the brand however if your buying a new RIB, do your homework )
Old 23 October 2018, 12:16   #39

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
+1
On a serious note, south coast boat builder was building their RIB's in-house, then to save costs the hulls were made in Poland, shipped back and sold here , having spoken to a fitter that worked at the yard ( I've known him for a number of years ) they have major quality issues, even had to junk some of the new 'overseas' hulls, scary! ( I don't feel its appropriate to name the brand however if your buying a new RIB, do your homework )
OK don't name the brand but name the yard in Poland.
Old 23 October 2018, 12:24   #40

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Sounds like it was a problem for the brand and they apply quality control - suggests the hulls they do accept are fine. Wonder why they rejected some, ie the quality of the make up of finishing .... or both

Tags
rib