Old 28 September 2014, 13:40   #1

Town: derby
Length: 7m +
Which RIB to Buy

Hi
I am looking to buy a RIB 7m to 8m for cruising sking etc with my family i have looked at ribeye cobra hydromax ribquest rib-x brigg and ballistic have any of you had any experience of these boats and which engine would you recommend i am looking at not going any bigger than a 250hp and i have a budget of no more than £35k
Thanks
Old 28 September 2014, 13:48   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
Length: 4m +
Are you looking new or second hand..?
Old 28 September 2014, 13:56   #3

Hi Matey i think with my budget it will be second hand
Old 29 September 2014, 08:19   #4

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
Cobra Rib

Hi, I have had a couple of Cobra RIBS a 7 Mtr and 8 Mtr. I looked at the various competition and was very impressed with these. I bought mine through a great guy Simon Gliddon from Gliddon Marine near Brixham Devon. I have just looked on his website and he has got just the boat for you within your budget. his number is 01803 842245
Old 29 September 2014, 08:41   #5

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I certainly would be busting my arse to buy a secondhand Cobra but for your budget you can buy a proper boat secondhand Scorpion, Ribcraft Osprey and a Redbay

Have look at the rebuild threads on this forum for Ballistics and Cobras and see how far a relatively young boat had degraded. They do look nice though bit like my first wife great looking and a real good ride but went downhill quickly
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2014, 13:30   #6

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
I looked at Ribeye and Cobras amongst other a few years ago but ended up going for a Predator 6.60, ( Stingher )more family / leisure biased than some other brands, had two great summers on the solent with her then upgraded to a Stingher 8m which used is in your price range - fantastic boat, I'd have another tomorrow good luck with your hunt, try a few, get them out on the water! cheers Lee
Old 29 September 2014, 15:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
I certainly would be busting my arse to buy a secondhand Cobra but for your budget you can buy a proper boat secondhand Scorpion, Ribcraft Osprey and a Redbay

Have look at the rebuild threads on this forum for Ballistics and Cobras and see how far a relatively young boat had degraded. They do look nice though bit like my first wife great looking and a real good ride but went downhill quickly
My opinion is boats degrade because the owners dont look after them is the most common cause, I have a 10 year old cobra 7.5M which gets admiring looks and looks better than many 2 or 3 year old cobras. Just wash em down with hose pipe after use and every few months give em a bit of attention, wash, polish, check the usual etc etc and they will last years and years and years. Many of the cobras which dont look so good you find people dont wash em down after use and dont bother with a boat cover. The only problem ive found is the seat material needs replacement every couple of years but that may be down to the fact mine gets a lot of all weather use and I think I need to find the magic formula for keeping the seats supple and protected against the salt, usually its the stitching that goes and fabric splist in certain strain points. Having said all that I have spent considerable time in re wirring last year plus replacement of many self tappers for nuts and bolts.

Any boat that is neglected is going to break down and look shabby in record time.

I dont know what the answer is, yes would love a big scorpion someday but prices even for second hand are very high and woudl a scorpion not degrade if it was neglected ?
Old 29 September 2014, 17:11   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post

Have look at the rebuild threads on this forum for Ballistics and Cobras and see how far a relatively young boat had degraded.
I think you'll find that most of the ones referred to all originally had dodgy home-build fitouts that caused the great majority of the issues.

I really wouldn't take any notice of the rebuild threads.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2014, 18:50   #9

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
The only problem ive found is the seat material needs replacement every couple of years I need to find the magic formula for keeping the seats supple and protected
Found 3M Vinyl Conditioner works great on protecting seat's.

3M Vinyl Hypalon conditioner and protector for rib's and inflatables
Old 29 September 2014, 20:49   #10

Hi
Thank you all for your feedback i have seen a rib-x 760 tonight which looks like with the seating and engine size does look like what i am looking for what do you think to them?
Old 29 September 2014, 21:23   #11

Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Which RIB to Buy

Welcome to Ribnet.
I'm biased (as I'm selling it!!) but great rib here still for sale. Within budget at £29,500
Ribcraft 7.8 for sale complete with Suzuki 250hp and De Graff twin axle trailer
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64455

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Old 29 September 2014, 22:36   #12

Hi Crusher
It looks a nice boat but i am looking for something with the bench style rear seat and front sunpad but thanks
Old 29 September 2014, 22:43   #13
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Just wash em down with hose pipe after use and every few months give em a bit of attention, wash, polish, check the usual etc etc and they will last years and years and years.
In fairness, when I spoke to RW last, he reckoned he'd done all that and she STILL went downhill...

Anyway, why would Cobras suffer from owner neglect more than other craft? I mean, do their owners keep them in muddy fields all winter or what?
Old 30 September 2014, 07:20   #14

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Hi Crusher
It looks a nice boat but i am looking for something with the bench style rear seat and front sunpad but thanks
IMHO, bench seats are fine when the boat is stationary, but close to hopeless when under way. Bench seat occupants soon feel insecure should the boat hit any chop or the wake of another vessel.
Old 30 September 2014, 07:51   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
IMHO, bench seats are fine when the boat is stationary, but close to hopeless when under way. Bench seat occupants soon feel insecure should the boat hit any chop or the wake of another vessel.
Depends on the bench seat, and probably the helmsman and hull design too. The bench seats on "the Beast" with Conor McLaughlin at the helm redefined my expectations of a bench!

People often refer to them as "family friendly" and I think there may be some value in that description depending on the age of the family and type of boating you do. If your primary objective going out it to get airborne then most benches are inappropriate, but there is a whole spectrum of owners and so different layout work for different people. Personally a sun pad would be an absolute waste of space but I can see that the sort of person who likes a sun pad probably also leans towards the type of boating where a bench works for them.
Old 30 September 2014, 08:14   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Depends on the bench seat, and probably the helmsman and hull design too. The bench seats on "the Beast" with Conor McLaughlin at the helm redefined my expectations of a bench!

Possibly, but yer man isn't going to have any of the above on his side.

Mrs Bud could very easily end up with arse and 'bits' bouncing all over the auction and be put off the thing for life.
Old 30 September 2014, 08:14   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Not what we've found, the kids love the security and comfort of a bench, also with the helm immediately in front of the bench you get protection from the elements if you choose. On the flip side Ive found little legs struggle with jockeys!
Horses for courses, a leisure style rib / layout an't the right boat for crossing the Atlantic, but sat off a beach, sun beating down and the kids jumping off the swim platform.............
Old 30 September 2014, 08:21   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
Not what we've found, the kids love the security and comfort of a bench, also with the helm immediately in front of the bench you get protection from the elements if you choose. On the flip side Ive found little legs struggle with jockeys!
I agree with the small kids argument, I was in hardboats when mine were tiny.

I'm afraid that I'm of the school of thinking, if squidgy seats, sunpads, bathing platforms, ladders and fair weather boating are high on your list, then buy a nice sportscuddy, as I had when the kids were young. You'll get a load more boat for your buck and a nice warm cuddy, possibly a loo and all the other comfy bits.

Save the ribbing for when they're older.
Old 30 September 2014, 08:31   #19

Done the hard boats thanks, quite happy with a RIB.
My 7 year old would be mortified if you told her she was too young for a Rib, she helms it (obviously under supervision), helps tie it up (yes she can do knots) and we as a family have had the most amazing days on the water..................on our RIB, but thanks for the advice
Old 30 September 2014, 08:38   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
My 7 year old would be mortified if you told her she was too young for a Rib,
Ummm, not sure that I suggested that she would be? By 'tiny', I was referring to little kids, sub 3yo.

Personally, I'm never 'done' with anything, as life rolls on things change, I can quite easily see Mrs M and myself going back to squidgy comfort one day.

As I mentioned earlier, only my opinion.

Tags
rib