Old 10 December 2015, 21:57   #1

Town: Barmouth
Length: no boat
Which Rib?

Hi, I have been undertaking research into what manufacturers and models I should be looking at in trying to select a rib.

To date my rib experiences have been in Zodiacs and XS Ribs.

My reasons for getting a rib would be predominately to cruise and ideally to do a fair bit of marine wildlife watching. However my local water is the irish sea so I would need something that could handle swell and chop if needs be. Secondly my family aren't the world's greatest crew and certainly wouldn't appreciate a wet ride beyond the odd bit of sea spray.

So are there any recommendations to help me start my short/long list?

Any thoughts on this are welcomed! Thanks!!
Old 10 December 2015, 22:24   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchieMylo View Post
Hi, I have been undertaking research into what manufacturers and models I should be looking at in trying to select a rib.

To date my rib experiences have been in Zodiacs and XS Ribs.

My reasons for getting a rib would be predominately to cruise and ideally to do a fair bit of marine wildlife watching. However my local water is the irish sea so I would need something that could handle swell and chop if needs be. Secondly my family aren't the world's greatest crew and certainly wouldn't appreciate a wet ride beyond the odd bit of sea spray.

So are there any recommendations to help me start my short/long list?

Any thoughts on this are welcomed! Thanks!!
Budget?....New..Used?...Size?...Use/Performance/?...Conditions you like to go out in?(which may change)..Running/service costs?...Towing or Mooring/stacking?...(Vehicle ect) Number of crew?...Layout?...Equipment?
Until YOU can answer ALL these points and others don't part with you're hard earned and buy anything!
Ask some advise from someone who's opinion and experience you trust!...Better still..Get out and try some Boats!!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2015, 22:52   #3

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Secondly my family aren't the world's greatest crew and certainly wouldn't appreciate a wet ride beyond the odd bit of sea spray.
You might need to address the budget question before the regulars are along trying to flog you a cabin rib

In all seriousness... ...What family? Will you ever be out alone? Will you be fair weather or any-weather? A rib can go out in most conditions and be fine, but you might not be!! Some of that will address size and layout suggestions...
Old 12 December 2015, 09:37   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
......Any thoughts on this are welcomed! Thanks!!.......
Before you shell out any money on what could be a very costly mistake, you need to take a long hard look at what your potential usage is going to be. You know your family better than anyone, if you have to persuade/cajole/bully them into getting on the boat, it's going to be a very short foray into the RIB world for you. If you go out in a RIB, at some point you are going to get wet & cold, unless you are prepared to spend mega bucks on a cabin RIB. That would bring a whole host of other problems with it, storage, towing, fuel etc. Most "Ordinary" RIBS will be pretty dry in benign conditions, but those days are very few & far between. There are ways to mitigate the weather, good clothing etc.
I don't want to sound preachy, but you need to be realistic & know what you're letting yourself & your family for.
Just my 2 penneth, IMHO etc etc.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2015, 10:06   #5

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
As others have said it is a mine field out there. I treat ribs like cars, they are all different but do the same job and every one has their favorite.

I think layup for your use is one of the key things to consider. If you fancy wildlife watching and cruising you'll need seats rather than open space (unlike a dive rib). Do you have a family that are happy to share a double jockey or do you fancy one each?

Large consoles offer great protection from spray and weather but take up space, deep Vs allow for good sea keeping but I was happy in my 4.7 zodiac last year in a sea where some with deeper Vs pulled out.

You mention 2 boats, both of which I've used, I loved my zodiac and she handled some fairly big seas but didn't have the most amount of room on board where as the XS had the room but was set up for diving - she did seem fairly dry water wise as did the zodiac.

I've just moved to an X-pro as she had the layup and design that I wanted in a price range I could afford. Would she have longevity if I was out in her everyday or running her commercially when compared to a Sea Rider or Delta? Not a hope but I don't use her that way. We get a family trip a year with a couple of picnics a month so she'll do us.

Thinking of build quality does matter but as I said at the outset - think cars, you wouldn't take a 1.1l fiat on a daily commute to Londond from the Westcountry but it'll be perfect for a short hop around the village every other day........

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2015, 14:02   #6

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
A good starting point is "what can my car tow"? If it's not an SUV you're probably going to be limited to about 6.5 meters and that would be with a medium to large saloon/estate.
I've owned 15 boats over the years and always end up coming back this size, big enough to take a bit of weather and still in scope fore easy towing.
(dependent on when you passed you're driving test pre/post 97 there could be further implications there.......6.5 mtr with trailer = about 1500kg)

Next take your budget and have a look to see what it'll buy. If you go out to get one specific brand and model you'll probably end up paying over the odds for it.

Tags
rib