Old 16 August 2010, 23:21   #1

Town: Wales
Length: 5m +
Which RIB ???

Having owner sailing boats for years, now we have two children (3 and 7 years old) we have decided to buy a RIB instead as think it will give us more use and appeal to the kids.

Trouble is, all this RIB business is new to us and we feel a bit lost.

We will keep the RIB in a marina and have the option of using her in a sheltered estuary or turning the other way into the Irish sea. We are choosing a RIB as we want this option, having owned an American sportsboat some time back the only option you generally had was the sheltered water one!

Budget will be up to £15k (but no more). Suspect there will be the odd lads blast in the rough stuff but on the whole we would primarily use the RIB as a family boat taking no risks.

Any recommendations and advise gratefully received.

Do we go older & bigger / smaller & newer?
Is 5.8m that much better than 5.5m?
Is there a lot of difference between boats at this size?
Old 16 August 2010, 23:41   #2

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Would there be puffins near you in the Irish sea?!

Your best bet really is to go out in a few different boats!!! Go out in some crappy weather too as the Irish sea has plenty of dodgy weather.

The difference from 5-.5.5 and 6-6.5m is massive both in boat area/weight and what you can go out in. If you're in conwy and want to head to Anglesey I'd say a 6m destroyer made by Humber or similar could be good. <6m and you're reduced to fairly fair-weather boating if there are more than 2 of you as people are sat on tubes.
Old 16 August 2010, 23:47   #3

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
<6m and you're reduced to fairly fair-weather boating if there are more than 2 of you as people are sat on tubes.
Why's that? Loads of RIBs <6m have >2 seats.
Old 17 August 2010, 00:15   #4

Technically yes. Fair point. Though I'm trying to answer a general question of size and appropriateness to a new ribber. IMHO once under 6m, especially sub 5.5, unless fully suited up, in anything more than a chop you're getting wet! Much Under 6m and with more than a double jockey so you have seating for >2 there is no deck space for a family to move about, which he mentions.

We had a SR 5.4, great boat for two lads in quite bad weather, but with a family of four it wasn't much fun if the weather turned out in the Irish sea/menai straits. Once you get to 6m, we went to 6.3, in my experience it gets much more family friendly, drier and safer, even when it turns from fair to pretty bad.
Old 17 August 2010, 00:24   #5

A suggestion

Search coded osprey vipermax 5.8 in the ribs for sale, a good example of the type of boat you'd get for your money. May still be for sale.

Sub 6m as well! Keep DHD happy!
Old 17 August 2010, 01:48   #6

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Do you mean this one?

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....sprey+vipermax

Good choice but then I suppose I would say that

I don't think you'll get an answer from the guy selling it as I PM'd him ages ago to try and find out how the aux engine was mounted but never got an answer.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2010, 06:38   #7

Town: Wales
In our local marina you get a big discount if under 6m, so want to stay less than this but guess what you're saying is big is def better so closer to 6m the better....

What are your thoughts on the Ribeye 550 (not sure could afford bigger one?) & Avon 580?

Any other RIBS/makes I should consider?
Old 17 August 2010, 06:55   #8

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_ View Post
In our local marina you get a big discount if under 6m, so want to stay less than this but guess what you're saying is big is def better so closer to 6m the better....
Is the discount that big? We have used our 6.25m boat to do lots of cool things (single handed channel crossings as one example) and I am not sure a sub 6m boat would inspire that kind of confidence.

As has been said there is a major difference either side of the 6m mark, in fact I would perhaps go so far as to say that every few centimeters under 7m makes a difference.

Also consider bench seating for the kids benefit, jocky seats are great but not if your feet don't touch the deck.
Old 17 August 2010, 07:05   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_ View Post
What are your thoughts on the Ribeye 550 (not sure could afford bigger one?) & Avon 580?
Can I suggest you have a search of the forum for Ribeye and sit back with a large coffee, then when you've finished reading the differing opinions do the same for Avon 580... now when interpreting what you hear bear in mind: (i) many people here are looking for a very good "sea rib" rather than an OK rib; (ii) with a 3 and 7 yr old, regardless of the boat, you're not going to be pushing the boat to its limits or out in stupid weather; (iii) Avon and Ribeye produce lots of boats, and sell largely to your sort of market - that means they have something right. However there may be better boats for your money?

I'd agree with Paul, your children need to be sitting on a seat not perched on top of a tube. That combined with your <6m requirement and budget will probably narrow the field for you a lot. Bear in mind that the "name" and the "length" may not always agree between brands - e.g. one brand's 585 might be 5.85m from the very front to the very back; another's might be 5.85m from bow to transom.
Old 17 August 2010, 07:26   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Simon. If you can wait and visit the Southampton Boat show (i see you a some way away)there will be quite a few RIBs on show and also on test. These are aimed at new buyers but would give you a good choice across several types and lengths and seating options/equipment. Also a few dealers usually have second hand options.

You may also find that at this time of year towards autumm and winter some second hand prices may reduce and give give a good buy.
I would definitely suggest you take a run out on some RIBs and dont be swayed by one dealer/person, get your choice and then have fun with the family.
Old 17 August 2010, 08:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Do you mean this one?

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....sprey+vipermax

Good choice but then I suppose I would say that

I don't think you'll get an answer from the guy selling it as I PM'd him ages ago to try and find out how the aux engine was mounted but never got an answer.
You would! Possibly overkill safety wise for OP though gives a good indication I think that for £15k he can get a good branded boat at 6m say 3-5 yrs old with v low hours perhaps just out of warranty.

As mentioned, perhaps the more leisure/mass market/cheaper ribs could suit.

Rib eye/newer avons (not SRs!)

Rather than heavier weather arguably mote expensive

Humber ribcraft ribquest tornado

Or just blatantly expensive but great

Cougar Parker redbay

Simon, try them out for yourself!
Old 17 August 2010, 09:41   #12

Town: Douglas
Hi Simon, and welcome.

You will get a huge amount of good advice on this forum, but it is likely to cause much confusion as we each believe we provide the best advice !!!!

My general comments would suggest a RIB of at least 6m in length, whilst less than 7m results in relatively easy launch and recovery. If you search the usual boat sales webs you will find a large choice but be aware there are a number of pitfalls.

Once you find a boat that appears to fit your needs then put the details on here and you will get more specific and useful comment, good luck.
Old 17 August 2010, 11:13   #13

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
4 thoughts-

Interior space is not all about length - the width will play a HUGE part in the seating arrangements - E.G Humber's O-Pro comes in three beam variants - the narrowest (2m) you are essentially looking at a jockey up the middle, the widest (I forget the exact size, but memory says it's too wide to legally tow with the toobs inflated) could accommodate two seats side by side.

Hull size doesn't necessarily mean worse handling in bad weather. I used to cruise in company with a bigger rib in an SR4. One of us always had a bumpy ride, but not always the SR - it really depends on the shape of the waves & how you drive over them!

The bigger your hull, the bigger juice burner you'll need on the transom to push it along.

If the waether is cr@p, you're going to get wet whatever happens.....

I'll echo the others and say go try some, see how they compare.
Old 17 August 2010, 14:01   #14

Town: Glasgow
Another consideration with young kids is the type of seating. Some jockey seats are more kid friendly than others. Some boats give you the feeling that you are sitting on them whereas others give the feeling of sitting in them depending on the height of the tubes in relation to the height of the seats. It can make a big difference into how safe your children will feel and their willingness to go out again.
One of the stalwarts on here came up with a cracking idea of making adjustable stirrups for the seats that his kids were using so vastly increasing their security and his piece of mind.

As mentioned before, if you can get to the boat show it will give you a great opportunity to have a look at the different layouts/seat combinations available then all you have to do is find the equivalent for sale second hand.

Old 17 August 2010, 14:43   #15

Town: Argyll
Boat name: Puffin
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235075764
Hi Simon
I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago, having sailed most of my life I wasn't sure about switching to RIBs but with 2 daughters aged 7 and 9 at the time I could see some of the advantages / conveniences of a RIB.

In the end we settled for a Humber Destroyer 6m. I had originally planned on about 5.5m but a friend encouraged me to push the budget and stretch to a 6m and I am pleased he did. We have a dual console and 4 jockey seats arranged 2 + 2. The 6m is about as small as you can get and have this arrangement. The 6m also allows a bit more stowage space for all the gubbins that comes with a family day out!

Would echo Siochair's point about jockey seats and young children, our younger one struggled a bit at first just because she was not tall enough to get her feet on the deck, if the going got rough we got round it by her standing in front of either myself or my wife as passenger with one arm either side of her holding on to the grab handle. You certainly want one seat for each of you and don't want to have the kids on the tubes or suicide seat.

Two years on, we are very happy with our decision, love the RIB, as a family I think we probably get more out of it than we would have done from a small yacht.
Old 17 August 2010, 19:01   #16

Good point re jockeys and small people/children. We got 2 jockeys and a bench behind. Bench fits two adults and toddler in between on calmer days feeling v secure. Even my old mum (grandma) hates jockeys, she's 5ft and struggles to touch floor. In hindsight I wish we'd got smaller jockeys if available as we are all 5"6 and under. Midgets! Also loads of storage in a bench.

If you buy a second hand boat, jockeys could easily be changed. A good buy is paramount!
Old 17 August 2010, 19:38   #17

I reckon a low sportsboat style rear bench is a decent option for young children. These are available from Osprey and dare I say it, Ribeye

Some pics of Osprey seats here:

http://www.ospreyribs.co.uk/consoles_seating.html

Sorry, I don't have a link to the ribeye website
Old 17 August 2010, 20:17   #18

Town: St John, Cornwall
Boat name: Ningaloo
Make: Ribeye 5.8m
Engine: Yamaha 100hp
Hi there

Beware that a lot of folks on here like the ...er.. more industrial design of RIB and have fairly entrencehd opinions.

So ignore most of the stuff said about Ribeyes. They are squarely aimed at the family and leisure market. I have had one for 5 years and it has been fantastic and regularly goes 15-20miles offshore in most sea states.

Also great resale value

Jon
Old 17 August 2010, 20:24   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmitch View Post
I have had one for 5 years and it has been fantastic and regularly goes 15-20miles offshore in most sea states.
What do you think of the rear bench seat?
Old 17 August 2010, 20:49   #20

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
What do you think of the rear bench seat?
Jumping in here...

The rear bench seat is great. It provides a stowage for two batteries, an oil tank and loads of 'stuff'.

It is carefully mounted over the bilge pump, to keep it safe.

It only takes about an hour to take it out to access the pump.

And an hour or so to put it back.

It also holds water, should a small wave come aboard.

This water sits quite well in the base of the seat.

As a seat, it is very comfortable!

The outer locations are ideal for anyone on board who enjoys a dowsing with spray.

Other than that, the rear seat is brilliant!