Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 04 November 2005, 12:59   #11
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Danny how old is your boat ? the reason I ask is I think you have the older XR24 hull; which personally I think was the nicer looking boat rather than the Lynx. Notice the full bow rather than the later concave bow of the lynx.

You might be interested to read the fourth paragraph down.

http://www.cirrusribs.com/About.html

Although when I spoke to him recently about the Lynx he did say he didn't design the XR series. They first appeared in 92 with the 18 and 20, followed by the XR24. They were always a fast boat designed on a "delta Conic" shape. XR24s were built by Damen Bloor and Peter Kidd down in Falmouth. XR18 and 20s by Osprey in Standish, before they sold off the business. Worth doing a search on here for XR24 as we have discussed it before.

The hard nose has a number of advantages, storage space, good way of securing the tubes to the front of the boat and possibly cheaper to manufactuer the tubes, certainly easier and cheaper to replace one side tube if it were ever seriously damaged rather than the whole lot.

The viper series can be traced back to the Osprey Falcon range and from there to Fletcher in the late 80s.

I would have thought the XR/Lynx with its lighter and narrower hull should have been faster, it certainly has a big flat running surface to make it go.

Pete
__________________

__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 November 2005, 13:46   #12
Member
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
Pete.

The tubes in front-inside the bow case have a pen marked June 1997.
Now thats a bit strange as you said that XR24 where made until 1995 or 6.

I don't know how to call her. For simpel reasons i've decided to call her Lynx. better for the market.
Wouldn't mind anyway, it's a really great boat and she runs like hell.

If they where made today by this concept it would be a great model anyway.
__________________

__________________
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 November 2005, 13:48   #13
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny
Pete.

The tubes in front-inside the bow case have a pen marked June 1997.
Now thats a bit strange as you said that XR24 where made until 1995 or 6.

I don't know how to call her. For simpel reasons i've decided to call her Lynx. better for the market.
Wouldn't mind anyway, it's a really great boat and she runs like hell.

If they where made today by this concept it would be a great model anyway.
Could easily be a 97 boat, just my memory fading the moulds are still available by the way
__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 November 2005, 13:55   #14
Member
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Could easily be a 97 boat, just my memory fading the moulds are still available by the way
I would be interested in de moulds Pete. Should they be for sale ?

We have been out in unpleasend seas for some time now. The boat is realy good in having some waves at reasonable speeds and she will keep on giving you a comfort ride when you maintaine high speeds.

Best about these boat is that she flies strait trough the air and always comes down horizontaly.
I have had some ribs and sailed some more but they alway tend to go to one side when jumpin'.
__________________
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 November 2005, 13:56   #15
Member
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
oops. that's one mail too many.
__________________
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 November 2005, 15:46   #16
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny
I would be interested in de moulds Pete. Should they be for sale ?
sadly the moulds are not for sale, but a hull could be moulded from them.

Quote:
We have been out in unpleasend seas for some time now. The boat is realy good in having some waves at reasonable speeds and she will keep on giving you a comfort ride when you maintaine high speeds Best about these boat is that she flies strait trough the air and always comes down horizontaly.
I have had some ribs and sailed some more but they alway tend to go to one side when jumpin'.
agreed, I think the biggest problem was Osprey were 10 years to early with this rib, they were aimed at the sports boat market when ribs were still orange and bought by divers.

Pete
__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 November 2005, 18:27   #17
Member
 
Country: Sweden
Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 860
Quote:
My english is not that great. What do you mean Petrovman ?
Maybe my english is bad, i just translated it directly from swedish to english and hoped it should be correct.
What i mean is that when you dive into a wave in ruff sea with a Viper Max it will stop directly and you have to hold on like crazy, a hardnosed rib doesnt stop directly, it goes into the wave and continues a little bit more, this dive doesnt make it so violent as with a boat with regular tubes but it gest more wet, i hope people doesnt understand like its easy to dive with them, vice verse, Osprey are made for ruff seas and when you are out there in the 30-40 knots wind it happends that you dive (when you driving with speed)

Quote:
The hard nose has a number of advantages, storage space, good way of securing the tubes to the front of the boat and possibly cheaper to manufactuer the tubes, certainly easier and cheaper to replace one side tube if it were ever seriously damaged rather than the whole lot.
Absolutely, just be careful to place hard stuff in the storage, the tubes in the bow locker is not protected so if you have sharp or hard stuff in there its easy to damage the tubes.
On the Sparrowhawk, Eagle and Seaharrier series its not much more space than in a regular anchor locker but in the Lynx its very big.
__________________
www.grandrib.se
Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 November 2005, 12:35   #18
Member
 
gtflash's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,318
whos got the moulds pete??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
sadly the moulds are not for sale, but a hull could be moulded from them.

agreed, I think the biggest problem was Osprey were 10 years to early with this rib, they were aimed at the sports boat market when ribs were still orange and bought by divers.

Pete
__________________
gtflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 November 2005, 14:27   #19
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
A friend and commercial boat builder.

Pete
__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2005, 14:56   #20
Member
 
gtflash's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,318
so is it a splash or a genuine/licensed hull



Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
A friend and commercial boat builder.

Pete
__________________

__________________
gtflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.