Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 02 January 2005, 08:58   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy
Got news for you, it bloody well does!! The med can be the nastiest place in the world to boat where as the Irish Sea and Bristol Channel is just a shity place. Alan P
Granted you do SOMETIMES get nasty conditions in the Med but generally speaking their wind speeds are lower than the UK which faces onto the open Atlantic.

Alan you have quite enough experience of crossing the Atlantic and other areas - do you honestly feel as "at risk" in the med?

My father lives in Portugal and keeps his boats in Gib - we have travelled around most of the med as far as the Greek islands - have yet to encounter anything as scary as the Irish sea!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2005, 12:29   #22
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
The V isn't quite as deep as some of the other British boats but is still deeper than most of the med style ones.

As to the med being nasty sorry but just doesn't compare with the Irish Sea or Bristol Channel
Hang on, one minute your implying the med is just a mill pond (which we are clearly not believing) and next your saying the Cobra isn't up to it because it doesn't have a ultra deep V hull. So you consider a deep V essential, why?Personally I would choose a warped V hull as the best compromise. Amazingly I find myself agreeing with John fuller for once
Most Seaworthy Hull?

You asked if Alan feels "at risk" in the med. Well I will answer that, yes the speed at which the weather can change in the Med is scary and whilst we do have the odd blow in the UK at least you have plenty of warning that its going to happen.

Pete
__________________

__________________
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2005, 13:01   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Hang on, one minute your implying the med is just a mill pond (which we are clearly not believing) and next your saying the Cobra isn't up to it because it doesn't have a ultra deep V hull. So you consider a deep V essential, why?Personally I would choose a warped V hull as the best compromise. Amazingly I find myself agreeing with John fuller for once
Most Seaworthy Hull?

You asked if Alan feels "at risk" in the med. Well I will answer that, yes the speed at which the weather can change in the Med is scary and whilst we do have the odd blow in the UK at least you have plenty of warning that its going to happen.

Pete
The med IS a mill pond most of the time - granted though the conditions DO change very quickly which can catch people out big style! When people seek adventure saying "I have crossed the med" doesn't have quite the same ring to it - I don't think Mr Priddy would have been as well known as he is if he had organised a trans med run!!!

I did NOT say the Cobra wasn't up to it - I said the Cobra wasn't quite as good as the Revenger and Scorpion but I said it was BETTER than a lot of boats designed for the med!

As to why I think it is better to have a deep V it is through asking questions and reading up a lot on the subject - words written by the people in the know on ribnet!!! Hope I haven't made a mistake as I have ordered a deep V myself!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2005, 13:12   #24
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Ooh, new boat, what have you ordered ?

pete
__________________
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2005, 13:21   #25
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Ooh, new boat, what have you ordered ?

pete
An 8.5m custom build - all will be revealed when it is ready - hopefully March - April but loads of mods going on so may take a little bit longer! Will be powered by a 225hp outboard - single unfortunately as can't afford to run a twin setup - and from what people say I will only gain about 8mph anyway!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2005, 15:41   #26
Member
 
Country: Norway
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
An 8.5m custom build - all will be revealed when it is ready - hopefully March - April but loads of mods going on so may take a little bit longer! Will be powered by a 225hp outboard - single unfortunately as can't afford to run a twin setup - and from what people say I will only gain about 8mph anyway!!!
A 8.5m.rib could make approxemately 60 knots with twin 225hp. (take a look at www.actionboat.dk). If the loss in speed is only 8mph/6knots, you will get 54 knots out of your new rib!!!! My best guess is 44 knots depending on the hull.But I do agree with everything else you write, the price you have to pay in order to feed 2 big engines is too high, and think twice before you by a two-stroke engine, the oilconsumption is huge and expensive. Good luck with your new boat!
By the way, the boatbuilders have far to much to do now, make sure that you follow up during the building-period, do not belive anything the boatbuilder claims when he sais he is the best builder, they all are! Take the boat for many hours of test-drive before paying the last payment.
__________________
Fjordrafting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2005, 16:05   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjordrafting
A 8.5m.rib could make approxemately 60 knots with twin 225hp. (take a look at www.actionboat.dk). If the loss in speed is only 8mph/6knots, you will get 54 knots out of your new rib!!!! My best guess is 44 knots depending on the hull.But I do agree with everything else you write, the price you have to pay in order to feed 2 big engines is too high, and think twice before you by a two-stroke engine, the oilconsumption is huge and expensive. Good luck with your new boat!
By the way, the boatbuilders have far to much to do now, make sure that you follow up during the building-period, do not belive anything the boatbuilder claims when he sais he is the best builder, they all are! Take the boat for many hours of test-drive before paying the last payment.
I thought 2 engines would make more of a difference but I suppose so much depends on how close they are together - hull shape etc!!!

The hull I have gone for is not the fastest - but should be good in the rough stuff!!! I also expect to get about 44kts out of her - with twins the demo boat I drove would only do about 52kts so not much difference.

Another boat here on ribnet was only a little slower when one of the engines was raised - it really didn't make that much of a difference!

Unfortunately the engine I have bough IS a 2 stroke - it was cheap as it's the last of the Suzuki 225 efi engines. it was about half the price of the 4 strokes!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2005, 18:30   #28
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 613
http://redbayboats.com/


redbay or parker


Hi Marios,

Have you heard of Redbay?

They are based in the North of Ireland, just at the North Channel, and make really strong boats. See the Ribnet thread above which will give you some of the opinions.

They have a lot of experience in building very seaworthy boats which operate as ferries / dive boats / rescue craft as well as leisure/ cruising craft…the owner is a lifeboat cox and he can tell you a thing or two about North Atlantic weather! .One of their more meaty craft is in use by Gibralta Customs authority where they experience the full rigors of the med as well as the Straits…….They also delivered a boat to the Scillies last year whch operates , I think, as the post boat between the islands all year round. There is a reference to this somewhere on ribnet. They have a lot of experience in diesel inboards.

Best of luck
__________________
Ezgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2005, 08:23   #29
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
An 8.5m custom build - all will be revealed when it is ready - hopefully March - April but loads of mods going on so may take a little bit longer! Will be powered by a 225hp outboard - single unfortunately as can't afford to run a twin setup - and from what people say I will only gain about 8mph anyway!!!
Hi Codprawn, how's the build going??? Will your new RIB be delivered on time??? Look forward to pictures of the build process!!!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2005, 08:32   #30
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Looking like May now - better not be any later or I will have someone's balls on a plate!!!

Hope to post some pics soon!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.