Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Stevens
AFFF-what a waste of time.

..........with useless AFFF.
Cobblers ! AFFF is absolutely fantastic stuff! When we had it fitted to the pumps (way back in a former life) it made a huge difference in knock down times. We used it for everything barring 'leccy and metals....
The point is it is good for what it was designed for, not in titchy quantities in extinguishers. Stick it through a spray/fog nozzle on an HP reel attached to a 2500L/Min pump and it will put down anything......
In extinguishers, it just makes a water/gas extinguisher more efficient on fires that you would normally tackle with this particular type of extinguisher. Don't remember ever using one on a car fire. DP for fuel fire knock down (No cooling so watch for re-ignition) or CO2 for Engine compartment (through the grill) or small electrical wiring fires to minimise "collateral" damage.
I carry DP on board as fuel leak or spillage seems to be, in my opinion, the biggest threat and DP gets the job done there. Engine fire under the cowling, I suppose CO2 would be my preferred through an aperture followed by copious buckets of (free!) water…… put enough water on most things and they will go out due to the cooling effect, rather than blanketing/starving. Not metals, though I did put out a magnesium fire with water once (huge amounts of water, mind). Spectacular but effective (and definitely not recommended for the faint-hearted)..

Have I rambled on enough yet? Thought so….. TAXI!

Old 21 July 2004, 10:54   #22

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Bateau de Hell
Make: ProSport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 4 stroke Suzuki 250
jump overboard!

So what is the risk of explosion? Is the best course of action on discovering a fire to jump overboard and start swimming or is it sensible to stay on board and try and extinguish the fire? I'm talking petrol outboard engined boats here.

Hope it never happens, but I'd like to have a definite plan if it does.

Old 21 July 2004, 11:03   #23

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
To be honest the risk of explosion is prob not that great - when you see cars blowing up in films remember it is staged - I have seen many cars on fire - usually the biggest bang comes from the tyres NOT the tank!

It also makes me laugh seeing people shooting at a car in films and they explode in one almighty bang - in reality it can take a few thousand rounds of tracer and then the wiring usually catches first - I would say 99% of car/plane/boat fires are caused by wiring - a battery kill switch is a must!

For a real laugh watch Bruce Willis in Die Hard - the one at the airport. he manages to light jet fuel on a frozen runway with a Zippo - remember Jet Fuel is Kerosene - very similar to diesel - try lighting that in cold weather!
Old 21 July 2004, 11:04   #24

Town: Over here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangers
..... but I'd like to have a definite plan if it does.
PANIC?..... always a good first move.... followed by running away?

P.s Good choice of engine.... What do you think of your Prosport?
Old 21 July 2004, 11:09   #25

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Cobblers ! AFFF is absolutely fantastic stuff!.........
AFFF in quantity might be good but we are talking about a couple of litres not 2500l a min. so Andy is right AFFF is a waste of time . And for that matter so is CO2, in small quantities, in anything other than a very confined space e.g. a broom cupboard. In a car engine bay fire, the whole of the bottom of the engine bay is in effect open, so anything that is sprayed through the grill easily floods out onto the road.

The joy of Halon is that it will put out fires at a concentration of less than 10% (I think only 7%) where CO2 needs concentrations of 80% upwards (from memory so do not use for navigation).

CO2 works by ‘blanketing’ the fire in effect replacing air with CO2 and it is heaver than air, so on an inboard engine it might have some effect, however if you consider that you are trying to fill a 200 to 300 ltr space at 50% you will need a lot of CO2. Equally CO2 is effected by wind so will quickly dissipate on the type of summer days we’re having. I am sure a dive will be able to tell me the size of cylinder required for 300 ltr of CO2. Des
Old 21 July 2004, 11:11   #26

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangers
Does anybody know if having a fire extinguisher on board entitles you to a reduction in insurance premium?
I think you will find that it's more a case of "no extinguisher, no insurance!"
Old 21 July 2004, 11:13   #27

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
In Greece Coastguard recommends to use 2kg POWDER SS fire extinguisher for a boat up to 6.5 mtrs with up to 100 ltrs fuel tank capacity. (Not that this will do anything much if a fire develops but it helps)

The cost is at Euro 55.00
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0004.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	7071  
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2004, 11:31   #28

Double post... comes from having fingers like Bananas, I suppose....
Old 21 July 2004, 11:31   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
AFFF in quantity might be good but we are talking about a couple of litres not 2500l a min. so Andy is right AFFF is a waste of time Des
Err.. read my post again..."The point is it is good for what it was designed for, not in titchy quantities in extinguishers."

Please, if you're going to lecture and/or correct me, which is fine by me, at least take the time to read the post fully.

The original statement was "AFFF is a waste of time". This is incorrect. If the statement had read "AFFF in 10 litre extinguishers is a waste of time on engine bay fires" , then this would have been correct.
Old 21 July 2004, 11:40   #30

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos
In Greece Coastguard recommends to use 2kg POWDER SS fire extinguisher for a boat up to 6.5 mtrs with up to 100 ltrs fuel tank capacity. (Not that this will do anything much if a fire develops but it helps)

The cost is at Euro 55.00
MANOS

IS GREECE PART OF THE EU IF SO WHY IS IT NOT RED LIKE IT SHOULD BE

DAN