Boat name: At Lantic
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude Etec 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL
I'd recommed this one....

RIBTEC 585 C/W Merc Optimax 135

How have you found your Optimax to be? I've been reading one or two horror stories about the early ones!
Old 01 September 2006, 20:58   #22
Jus

Town: Wiltshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers
Get Hugh and Phil Chitty to turn up and that'll be most of the Vipermai in the country.
Seems weird, everyone seems keen on convincing me about a boat that actually not many people own!
Old 01 September 2006, 21:25   #23

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus
Seems weird, everyone seems keen on convincing me about a boat that actually not many people own!
I always thought it odd that despite the numbers they made there are very few on the market at anyone time. I enjoyed the 5.25m Viper, easy to tow and way above the opposition when introduced in 92. The 5.95m however is the one rib that I really regret selling. Just a superb boat in the rough stuff and when you realised that you shouldn't be there she would take you safely home.

Pete
Old 01 September 2006, 22:11   #24

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus
There's goog reason for that. Osprey have gone through troubled times. The previous owner of the business was putting prices up to ridiculous levels to support his other failing business. Eventually his businesses collspsed and Osprey UK was sold. The new owners Roy and Dave are great guys building the UK business back up with the same high quality laminations but more sensible pricing. Osprey in Belgium have been unaffected by this, and have continued to sell large numbers of their RIBs throughout Europe, particularly the Scandanavian countries.

I assume Mollers' comment about all the Vipermax owners was not meant not to be taken litterally! There are more Vipermax around, and there are more 7m 8m and 9m hulls around, although some are Lynx rather than Vipermax. Pete7 can tell you more about the different hull shapes as well. UK owners can pride themselves on being a minority band of connoisseurs, and like good chocolate and good gassed beer, the greater number may be found in Belgium.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2006, 08:02   #25

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
You are correct Richard except that the new owners is Roy and Dave, since many years back its owned by Brugge Marine Center in Belgium and Roy and Dave is distributor in the UK and as i can se and hear they are very nice guys and doing a great job as you say.
Old 02 September 2006, 08:53   #26

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B

I assume Mollers' comment about all the Vipermax owners was not meant not to be taken litterally!
No, not to be taken literally. The three boats I mentioned are all 6.5's, there are plenty of 7's and 7.5's around. I'm pretty sure that a couple of my boating buddies will be seriously in the market for Vipermax in the near future.
Old 02 September 2006, 17:40   #27
Jus

Thanks for all the comments, all very interesting stuff (and good for helping me justify this purchase too!)
Old 03 September 2006, 12:28   #28

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
i would say the osprey would be a better handling and fun boat which is probably much better built but i suspect you would need to see both in real life to make that decision.

Most people agree that ospreys ride better than near anything in their class and i always get people coming over to me commenting my boat and how it rides and handles

strong consideration for you is that the opti will be out of warranty and the other boat package should/may still be in warranty

my advice, if you can afford it, go for a new osprey with engine in warranty

and i can vouch optis sould superb
Old 04 September 2006, 11:22   #29
Jus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
i would say the osprey would be a better handling and fun boat which is probably much better built but i suspect you would need to see both in real life to make that decision.

Most people agree that ospreys ride better than near anything in their class and i always get people coming over to me commenting my boat and how it rides and handles

strong consideration for you is that the opti will be out of warranty and the other boat package should/may still be in warranty

my advice, if you can afford it, go for a new osprey with engine in warranty

and i can vouch optis sould superb
The boat itself is in excellent condition so the slight unknown is the engine. I have seen it start and run just find and it didn't make any bad noises. Also it has a full service history. I haven't had experience with this type of motor before but am hoping that the fact it has done 3 - 400 hours is a sign that there isn't too much fundamentally wrong with it. I am finding it difficult to get an overall picture of peoples experiences with these engines of this sort of age though.

I am thinking that absolute worst case I end up having to replace the engine at some stage, I could do this and still wouldn't have spent what a complete new outfit would cost, so am tempted to take the risk.
Old 04 September 2006, 16:02   #30

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
Length: no boat
MMSI: Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus
The boat itself is in excellent condition so the slight unknown is the engine. I have seen it start and run just find and it didn't make any bad noises. Also it has a full service history. I haven't had experience with this type of motor before but am hoping that the fact it has done 3 - 400 hours is a sign that there isn't too much fundamentally wrong with it. I am finding it difficult to get an overall picture of peoples experiences with these engines of this sort of age though.

I am thinking that absolute worst case I end up having to replace the engine at some stage, I could do this and still wouldn't have spent what a complete new outfit would cost, so am tempted to take the risk.
The Viper is the better choice by far. ( Not biased in any way!!)
Really pleased with mine as a fair weather and foul weather RIB.

It'll go well with the 150 opti. Good combination.

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2006, 20:46   #31
Jus

I'm going out for a run in the Osprey on Friday to make sure its as good as it sounds from all the comments.

Hopefully all will go well and I can get the painful parting with money bit over and done with!
Old 07 September 2006, 07:31   #32

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
you go out in a viper you had besttake your chq book wid you

excellent boats
Old 07 September 2006, 11:46   #33

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
MMSI: Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent
you go out in a viper you had besttake your chq book wid you

excellent boats
If you go look at a Viper, you'd better take your cheque book with you eh Ed?!!!

Hows your plans comming on for your next RIB?

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2006, 08:02   #34

very undecisive,
awaiting october before taking plunge get better deal, have a humber at moment for messing wid,

i know people slag em off but fancy ish a 745 ribeye so cheap second hand and cant be that bad of a ride surely to god

but me finks it is a 6.3 ocean pro this time, would have another viper, but as you know to get to same spec as i did your's, does not come cheap..
Old 11 September 2006, 10:54   #35
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus
I'm going out for a run in the Osprey on Friday to make sure its as good as it sounds from all the comments.

Hopefully all will go well and I can get the painful parting with money bit over and done with!

How did you get on

James
Old 11 September 2006, 11:17   #36

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
I reckon he's bought it but is scared to post knowing everyone will then stick their "I told you so" posts up!!

So get on with it, are you now a Viper owner?
Old 11 September 2006, 11:46   #37
Jus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim
How did you get on

James
Quite funny, got to the slipway where it had been suggested we meet and it was low spring tide revealing a two foot drop off the end of the slipway! Luckily the tide turned and came in fast so we made it out before dark.

I could write a full review of the boat but I guess alot of you already know the score. So I'll just say that I was impressed enough to agree a price and start the process of relieving myself of large summs of money!
Old 11 September 2006, 12:17   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus
Quite funny, got to the slipway where it had been suggested we meet and it was low spring tide revealing a two foot drop off the end of the slipway! Luckily the tide turned and came in fast so we made it out before dark.

I could write a full review of the boat but I guess alot of you already know the score. So I'll just say that I was impressed enough to agree a price and start the process of relieving myself of large summs of money!
tee hee told you so
Old 19 September 2006, 19:34   #39
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
So did he buy it ???
Old 20 September 2006, 07:33   #40
Jus