Old 23 May 2004, 07:37   #1

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Which 6.5m? New or Secondhand? Where to find one?

Just thought I would start a new thread as this little project has falled into two threads over past 36 hours.

To sum up, for those who did not see the earlier one:

"I am looking for something robust that can be ocaasionally launched using a 2.2litre HDi Peugeot Diesel MPV, although it primarily will be kept in a boatyard in Lymington.

It will be used for crusing with an aim to explore the south coast (limited navigation skills and experience means land in sight is important, although I hope to grow up eventually).

Primarily it will be for my wife and I, and my 14 year old son, although occasionally we may take friends in calm weather across to Yarmouth.

Decision 2: go for four jockey seats"

My most recent post has got to:

"The list now reads:

Scorpion (but new is too long and too expensive)
Humber 6.3 Ocean Pro
Ballistics 6.5
Solent Ribs (to visit 26 May)
Rib-X (to look at in Lymington, 26 May)
Ribcraft (but Yeovil is far from Lymington)"

Other names mentioned include:

Tornado
Parker
Avon
XS
Ribtec

Any other candidates appreciated. This might turn into a long haul!

On the secondhand front:

http://www.boatsandoutboards.com

Any help and advice is much appreciated. Thank you to those who have posted already!

Particularly I would love pointers to any specific secondhand rib that might meet my needs. The long build time on new is a bit of a turn off at this time of year (I am not getting any younger!)

Thank you.

Bruce
Old 23 May 2004, 10:31   #2

Town: emsworth
Boat name: the black stuff
Make: BALLISTIC
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp etec's
balistic

just had it confirmed a new ballistic 6.5 with yamaha 150 fourstroke on a indespension roller coaster, £24950 front seating/sunbed is a option as well contact www.ribsforsale.com
Old 23 May 2004, 13:29   #3

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Quote:
Any help and advice is much appreciated
Osprey Viper Max 6,5m.
Great boat.
Old 23 May 2004, 13:59   #4

Town: stanmore
Boat name: zippy
Make: zodiac pro 550
Length: 5.5
Engine: 90hp
What about zodiac 550 or 650 pro ?
Im pleased with my 550 as a family fun boat , the under deck storage is great
for stowing water ski's ringo's, wives ect. which keeps the deck area clear
all the time.
Im not keen on the seats on the 550 you have to drive standing up all the time, no support in rough weather at all . I think the bolster on the 650 is better as you have somthing to lean on .
the optional ski pole is well worth it if thats what you want to do!
As stated i consider it a family fun time boat , my crew would not be too pleased to go out in very rough weather ( although we do use it all year round ) but i am happy that it can handle a bit of rough stuff if needed.
Good luck in your search
Alistair
Old 23 May 2004, 20:17   #5

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Be aware that not all advice on this forum is impartial for two reasons:

1) Some are involved in manufacturing or selling RIBS. Most declare this as obvious but not all.

2) Everyone will tell you that the RIB that they own or have owned is the best! So go buy a Scorpion

Id've thought living in the boating capital of England you'd be pretty well placed to find a boat. For example for Ribcraft you dont need to go down to Yeovil cos I think Bembridge Outboards on the IOW sell 'em.

Cheers,
Alan
Old 23 May 2004, 21:47   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
"Riva" works for ribsforsale.com and I have previously asked him not to posts about any boats for sale without declaring an interest.

His account has now been suspended for one week.

John
Old 23 May 2004, 23:44   #7

Town: Greyabbey
Boat name: Keltoi
Make: Naked Ribs (Self Build)
Length: 6 six
Engine: Suzuki 140 fs
Bruce, can you give us all an idea of your budget, if it isn't too personal a question. Maybe we can give you some better advice.

John....Please don't suspend me...I'm not trying to sell him a Naked Rib...honest gov!!
Old 24 May 2004, 07:42   #8

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Which Boat?

Hi Bruce,

Firstly I would like to say good luck with your search to find your next boat; it can be quite an ardeous task.

Some pointers for your to consider.

1. Buget, try and stay within your limit, it can easily run away with you; especially for extra's when kitting up with safety equipment.

2. Think of sitting aragements: inline or side by side? How many will you usally carry?

3. Weight - A heavy boat can be difficult to manoeuvre when launching/retrieving on coastal slipways.

Engines - inboard/outboard, Diesel = Reliability & cost of running. Petrol engines can be just as reliable but running cost will be higher. 2 strokes for sheer performance or 4 Stroke quiet smooth running.

I would look at as many as possible, try and get on the water with each type if you can. Last bit take your time, it could turn out to be a very expensive mistake if you end up with the wrong boat.

Happy Hunting.
Old 24 May 2004, 08:32   #9

Town: Yarmouth
Boat name: 74 Rouge
Make: Aquavite
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 O/B
Hi Bruce

We are just introducing a new 6.5 RIB - Demo boat will be available at RIBEX and will then be Solent based.

The hull / concept is about performance and efficiency. We started from scratch but used a lot of data from our successfull raceboats that are well known as the best handling boats on the circuit. We have also carried out much design work for other manufacturers, both domestic and commercial.

The demo boat is powered by a 140 HP Suzuki and the whole idea is that you do not need to go to a V6 (we are recommending 115 to 150hp). We believe we have created an all round RIB that is big enough to make passages whilst remaining economical to operate.

Kind regards
Adam

K4+ Ltd
www.k4plus.com
Old 24 May 2004, 08:52   #10

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Have you had a look at http://www.ribmagazine.com/index.htm they have a few boats for sale how about this one?
"6.8 Ribcraft 2002

Mariner 225 optimax, 270 litre tank, VHF, chart plotter, Nav. lights, compass, ‘A’ frame, raised forward deck, large hatch and storage, twin axle, trailer, boat covers.

Price; £28,0000

Separate negotiation for; 15 HP Auxiliary, 4X4 Shogun.

Tel: 07788 990569"
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribcraft6.8.jpg
Views:	1461
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	5840  
Old 24 May 2004, 10:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Youth

1. Buget, try and stay within your limit, it can easily run away with you; especially for extra's when kitting up with safety equipment.

2. Think of sitting aragements: inline or side by side? How many will you usally carry?

3. Weight - A heavy boat can be difficult to manoeuvre when launching/retrieving on coastal slipways.

Engines - inboard/outboard, Diesel = Reliability & cost of running. Petrol engines can be just as reliable but running cost will be higher. 2 strokes for sheer performance or 4 Stroke quiet smooth running.
1. £22,000 or less for new, including basic electronics, less for secondhand. this to include trailer

2. helmsman (correct jargon?!? I mean driver) and wife or vv on two side by side jocket seats. Two side by side jockey's behind. Occasional bench in front of console

3. I have a 2.0HDI Diesel Peugeot People Carrier (automatic, 2WD) so yes, I am worried about launching. It is rated for 1850 incl weight of trailer. I am thinking that 6.5m is my abolute maximun, but am I being optimistic?

Basically I expect to launch from the Harbour Master slip at Lymington, but may also take the Rib to Scotland (Dunoon / Rhu) where we have a wee house.

4. Am minded to go for 4 stroke as best environment / reliability and diesel is outside my budget. Everyone seems to say the bigger the better. So I would intend to go for the maximium manufacturer rating for the rib. Is that wise?

John, please don't beat up RIVA too hard. I am too old to be an innocent and welcome sales contacts, but do appreciate openness in salesmen.
Old 24 May 2004, 13:59   #12

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker

I have a 2.0HDI Diesel Peugeot People Carrier (automatic, 2WD) so yes, I am worried about launching. It is rated for 1850 incl weight of trailer. I am thinking that 6.5m is my abolute maximun, but am I being optimistic?
Remember that single axle trailer will be a lot easier to manoeuvre on the slip than a double. I don't know which will be easier to tow, having only experience with 6m single axle setups.

Quote:
Am minded to go for 4 stroke as best environment / reliability and diesel is outside my budget. Everyone seems to say the bigger the better. So I would intend to go for the maximium manufacturer rating for the rib. Is that wise?
Bigger the better, definitely true!! The engine won't be under as much stress and you will be able to cruise at lower revs. Don't rule out direct injection 2stroke such as Ficht, HPDI, Optimax. They are quite efficient too, unless you drive them really hard. Optimax probably have the best instrumentation available with Smartcraft, but I am biased!!

Good Luck with the hunt, hope it goes well for ya.
Old 24 May 2004, 14:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
Remember that single axle trailer will be a lot easier to manoeuvre on the slip than a double. I don't know which will be easier to tow, having only experience with 6m single axle setups.
Why would you go double rather than single and vv.v.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
Bigger the better, definitely true!! The engine won't be under as much stress and you will be able to cruise at lower revs. Don't rule out direct injection 2stroke such as Ficht, HPDI, Optimax. They are quite efficient too, unless you drive them really hard. Optimax probably have the best instrumentation available with Smartcraft, but I am biased!!
What is instrumentation in this context and what is Smartcraft?

Sorry to be so ignorant.

Bruce
Old 24 May 2004, 14:27   #14

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
This may help: http://www.mercurymarine.com/smartcraft
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2004, 14:57   #15

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Given that you are planning to "dunk" the trailer every launch, and you are considering towing to Scotland, I'd consider a four-wheeled trailer. Boat trailers have very poor reliability due to their frequent encounters with saltwater and many people have suffered from wheels falling off (bearing disintegration and stub axle shearing) . This could have serious consequenses on a two wheel set-up. With four wheels, the dramatic effects of the trailer hitting the tarmac can be avoided, and if you're equipped with a two-ton trolley jack, you can remove the damaged parts and proceed slowly to a more convenient place. I think the only problem will the the extra weight and cost.

Here's a story to really, really scare you (it's fictional, don't worry!) http://www.bosunsmate.co.uk/short%20story.htm

Swginn, why should a 4-wheel trailer be less manoeuverable? All the wheels are independent. The only problem we have is hitch height - our towbar is too low.

Bruce, I don't think you're over optimistic about towing a 6.5 as the 1850kg rating for your Peugeot is quite high. However, you're probably at the upper end of what's sensible. A 6.5m boat + trailer should be within the 1850kg limit by a reasonable margin I think. You just need to be selective with slipways. A friend of mine launches his 6.5m at the Yacht Club slipway at Lymington with a 2-wd BMW and doesn't have any problems (OK it's a 535 though). However, I'm going nowhere near a slipway with my 2100kg rig on the back of a 2-wd estate car.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2004, 15:09   #16

possibility

This from Ribs Marine in Christchurch. Right at the top of my budget though. Is a diesel too professional and too difficult for an amateur. It is meant to weigh whole package 1400 - cf Peugeot limit of 1850.

Raider 650 Diesel Rib

Our 6.5 metre demonstrator boat is now available for sale - spec:

Blue tubes / White Hull
1 x Mercruiser 1.7lt / 140bhp Direct injection Diesel Engine
Cruiser Console
2 x Single Pod Seats
20 Gallon Stainless Steel under deck fuel tank.
Stainless Steel A Frame
Snipe twin axle braked trailer
Only 40/50 hours.

Price: £21,900 inc.

They also have

Narwhal New Boat Package

We have one Narwhal 5.8 Metre Rib + Engine + Trailer package available a special price - spec:

1 x Mariner 75hp 2 Stroke ELPTO Outboard
Blue Tubes/ White Hull
Double jockey console
Snipe Trailer.

Price: £10,995 inc.

Which is clearly at the other end of the spectrum.

Any thoughts (and I know one person who is going to be thrilled I am considering diesel!!).

Thanks

Bruce
Old 24 May 2004, 15:14   #17

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Is a diesel too professional and too difficult for an amateur...
Only if you consider a diesel car too difficult!!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2004, 15:45   #18

Yes, but my knowledge of a diesel car extends to turning the key in the ignition, and filling up from the black pump.

With our tiny 6hp Suzuki I have already had to learn what a spark plug was when I flooded the carb.

I jest (but only a little!)
Old 24 May 2004, 15:54   #19

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Given that you are planning to "dunk" the trailer every launch, and you are considering towing to Scotland, I'd consider a four-wheeled trailer. Boat trailers have very poor reliability due to their frequent encounters with saltwater and many people have suffered from wheels falling off (bearing disintegration and stub axle shearing) .

Swginn, why should a 4-wheel trailer be less maneuverable? All the wheels are independent. The only problem we have is hitch height - our tow bar is too low.

Richard I for one do not dunk my trailer as it is a rolercoaster type which Even on a very shallow slip all I kneed to dunk is the wheel's up to the hub so keeping the bearing dry!
As fare as I know this is the hole point of them, if you want to dunk a trailer why not just get a Bunker type!
As for 4 wheel trailers I would have agree with Swginn that 2 wheels are easier to maneuver by hand than 4. I can move around very easily by hand my Rib all loaded. The 4 wheels will tend to bind if trying to turn sharply!
But I would agree you do have a bigger safety margin built in with 4 wheels
Regards
Nick
Old 24 May 2004, 16:03   #20

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
If you were to have the merc 1.7tdi it is a lot simpler than runnign a petrol outboard. You jump in the boat and you turn the key. There is no pumping fuel, opening air vents, revs, choke etc, you just turn the key.

As for the trailers i went twin axle for safty reasons and im pleased with it. Its quite a bit smoother on the road and not too difficult to manouver by hand. I have to push it into a narrow driveway each time and i just lift the jockey wheel as high as it will go and then it only rides on the back 2 wheels and is much easier to turn.