Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Great page

Thanks for the link.

I attach piccy of my other half in one we chartered a few weeks back - yellow tube on off white...

... that is if I have mastered the technology - here goes
Old 28 May 2004, 00:14   #62

Oops

No piccy. Try again....

Aha, see it is too big. Just a mo....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new-1.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	5983  
Old 28 May 2004, 06:00   #63

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker
* 45mph down the river (according to engine elecronics). Don't mored boats come up quickly when you are going like the bat out of hell!
A copule of questions:

- for a new build, which colour scheme is most practical and gives the best second hand value?
- is a Solent going to be easily saleable in 2 years if we needed to sell? Or is for example a Ribcraft much the more saleable option?

Thanks to a member of this forum (who had better remain anonymous unless they want to reveal themselves) who held my hand all day and who answered my myriad of questions with wonderful patience.

Any reactions from anybody to the above would be much appreciated. Clearly I am far from decided......... but this is fun!

Bruce

What river was this and out of interest what was the marked speed limit.

The Ribcraft you refer to are the called Raiders or something and are they made by Ribcraft or are they a subsidary of the company. I only ask as i think that will affect the resale value of the boat. Ribcraft's are fine boats by the way

Solent Robs are OK they are basically splashed Tohatsu's made nicely and put together with some care. The consoles and seats can look a bit Kludgey but they are solid.

Andre I believe imports Parker Ribs and they deserve a look as again they are very well made.

gemini boats are also very decent.

Colur schemes. My boats are black hull grey tubes / white hull and dark blue tubes/ Yellow hull and Yellow tubes/ and Orange and black. Theyare all tough to keep cleen but the most rewarding is the blue and white one.

Don't discount grey (battleship) tubes and yellow fibreglass.

re resale options I think the price of s/h ribs will rise providing petrol prices don't get prohibitive and we all have jobs. But I don't think Solent ribs will hold there price as well as the established manufacturers cos they not that well known yet. Out of interest how much is the Solent Rib option and what engine does it come with.

If I was you I'd buy a portable GPS (you can get an etrek for 99 Kwid and use that to gauge speed when trying out different boats. It will give you a constant baseline to compare performance with and it will be dead useful afterwards. the engine electronic speed guages are very unreiable and innacurate. Apart from when the one on my Scorpion said we were doing 80 MPH!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2004, 06:58   #64

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
I assume that was the river into fareham?

There is a short stretch with no moored boats in which Kevin opened up our boat for the first time.
Old 28 May 2004, 07:38   #65

Town: New Forest Hampshire
Boat name: Moonshine
Make: Jeanneau Sun 2000
Engine: Honda 6hp
Mr Wave Sir,

The Raiders are indeed Ribcrafts - They they are supplied as a hull /tube package by Ribcraft to RIBS Marine for final fitting out – Source of my information – Ribcraft and RIBs Marine.

By the way I still haven’t forgotten I owe you for a couple of gallons of fuel!!!

Also - Would like to talk to you about some Opti oil

Cheers

Phil
Old 28 May 2004, 09:26   #66

Hi Phil

have you been going out with the Jackeens on there MIBOA cruises at all, it looks like good fun.

Come on over , In fact everybody come over quickly cos I have just tidied the yard. I've got plenty of Opti in the container Good news about the Raiders then they have to be worthy of serious consideration by Brucey.

cheers

Stuart
Old 28 May 2004, 09:38   #67

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4.8m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI
I went for dark blue tubes and white glass. Not sure if it makes a difference on how well the scheme works but mine is small...4.8m. I also have dark blue non slip deck so the dazzle is limited to the console and seats...although I like the dazzle; it makes the RIB look new, shiny and smart.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Our RIB (Resized).JPG
Views:	335
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	5988  
Old 28 May 2004, 09:41   #68

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Hi Bruce,

I think the colour scheme was the bit that puzzled us the most before ordering our Rib. The kids wanted something very orange so that it looked like a lifeboat.
We eventauly went for blue hull and grey tubes, similar to the one near to the bottom of the link that swginn posted.

Not a problem to keep clean and the rubbing stakes down the side of the tubes in black seem to keep the scuff marks away from the tubes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Marikh Day .jpg
Views:	299
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	5989  

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2004, 10:55   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
Hi Phil

have you been going out with the Jackeens on there MIBOA cruises at all, it looks like good fun.
Stuart,

We have certainly been out and about seen more of the area in the last two months than in 4 years with the rag and stick - Bembridge, Yarmouth, Wooton creek, Alum bay, Lymington, Boolee.Thouroughly enjoying it. Since our trip out with you on that cold squally Febuary night in Pete 7’s old Ribtec the family seem totally impervious to anything I can throw at them.

I agree the Jackeens events do sound like good fun. We are more of the solitary persuasion at the moment enjoying the freedom of exploring in our own time (takes all sorts) however would be very pleased of some company for more extended trips.

By the way - I’ve got a 4-gallon container of duckams two-stroke oil surplus to requirements since selling the rag and stick. Any use to you and your oil reserves?

Have you noticed I managed to stop myself from recommending our rib to Bruce - BRUCE – THE RAIDER / RIBCRAFT IS A REALLY GOOD RIB – oops. Don’t know about the diesel performace but I havent had to push the loud lever to the bulkhead to achieve enough excitement for us with the 150 OPTI. (wimp)

Cheers

Phil
Old 28 May 2004, 11:05   #70

Didn't let the Lifeboaty look put us off - we love it . Still not too sure about the name though ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hotflush.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	5990  
Old 28 May 2004, 11:25   #71

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Philip,

I wasn't complaing about the lifeboaty look, but she who must be obeyed wanted something more suttle. Personally I like orange and black that a saw on a link the other day.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2004, 12:21   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercoastie
I wasn't complaing about the lifeboaty look
Gingercoastie

No offence taken .
Old 28 May 2004, 16:58   #73

You should hook up with em Katleen is a very gifted at making a good atmosphere and I've yet to meet a nobber (apart from RichardB obviously) through Ribnet
Old 02 June 2004, 21:52   #74

Another question

The mystery thickens.....

{quick ramble}
Having a ball with my 3.2M in Clyde. 14 year old and I scared ourselves silly when rounding headland today and what started as fun bumps quicky turned to large quantities of cold green stuff inside the picnic carrier bag! Abort, turn about.... stop panicking, think, diagonal across to sheltered side of Clyde, and adventure continued. Mind you, we didn't half go fast on the return journey!!

Oh, and a herring gull stole my only dry bit of pizza from my fingers as it was about to go into mouth on a pontoon in Rothesay harbour (the Scots are less well behaved than those living near the Solent).

Going out with Proadventure for 6 hours of training (wife and I, and 14 year old as passenger) in 6.5M tomorrow to learn about such magic as "trim controls"! That sort of was missed in Powerboat II!!!

{back on thread}
Sort of short list of Parker vs Solent at this time.

But a question:

Is it the case that deep-V is more capable in harsher waters but produces a hard ride in relatively medium seas?

Put it another way, if I go for a Parker, will I find that it is very harsh going (big bumps for the newbie!) in even moderate seas that will put wife (and me if I am honest) off?

The Solent seemed very comfortable in quite demanding conditions outside Portsmouth harbour.

I understand the Rib-X is a softer ride but less good at the rough.

Am I right or have I got it completely wrong??
Old 02 June 2004, 22:07   #75

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Everything else being equal, deeper V = softer ride but requires a bit more power to drive it.
Old 03 June 2004, 07:47   #76
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker
Going out with Proadventure for 6 hours of training (wife and I, and 14 year old as passenger) in 6.5M tomorrow to learn about such magic as "trim controls"! That sort of was missed in Powerboat II!!!
It shouldn't have been!
Quote:
Is it the case that deep-V is more capable in harsher waters but produces a hard ride in relatively medium seas?
No. A deep V hull will normally give a more comfortable ride in any size waves as it slices into them rather than slamming onto them.

The main compromise is the increased power required to drive a deep V hull as it less efficient.

Deep V = more comfortable, better offshore performance
Medium V = more economical, smaller engine, less fuel

These are broad generalisations but the principles will apply more or less to any planing hull.

John
Old 03 June 2004, 11:59   #77

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
To add to the debate...

The Parker 630 is I believe the same / similar hull to the Deep Sea 21. This is very broad but with a deepish V at the bow. For its size and beam it is a very soft riding hull and capable in the rough. (all IMHO and from 4 yrs experience in a DS21). Can't speak for the Solent.

Alan