Town: Aylesbury/Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Optimax
MMSI: 235021048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Youth

1. Buget, try and stay within your limit, it can easily run away with you; especially for extra's when kitting up with safety equipment.

2. Think of sitting aragements: inline or side by side? How many will you usally carry?

3. Weight - A heavy boat can be difficult to manoeuvre when launching/retrieving on coastal slipways.

Engines - inboard/outboard, Diesel = Reliability & cost of running. Petrol engines can be just as reliable but running cost will be higher. 2 strokes for sheer performance or 4 Stroke quiet smooth running.
1. 22,000 or less for new, including basic electronics, less for secondhand. this to include trailer

2. helmsman (correct jargon?!? I mean driver) and wife or vv on two side by side jocket seats. Two side by side jockey's behind. Occasional bench in front of console

3. I have a 2.0HDI Diesel Peugeot People Carrier (automatic, 2WD) so yes, I am worried about launching. It is rated for 1850 incl weight of trailer. I am thinking that 6.5m is my abolute maximun, but am I being optimistic?

Basically I expect to launch from the Harbour Master slip at Lymington, but may also take the Rib to Scotland (Dunoon / Rhu) where we have a wee house.

4. Am minded to go for 4 stroke as best environment / reliability and diesel is outside my budget. Everyone seems to say the bigger the better. So I would intend to go for the maximium manufacturer rating for the rib. Is that wise?

John, please don't beat up RIVA too hard. I am too old to be an innocent and welcome sales contacts, but do appreciate openness in salesmen.

Old 24 May 2004, 09:59   #12

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker

I have a 2.0HDI Diesel Peugeot People Carrier (automatic, 2WD) so yes, I am worried about launching. It is rated for 1850 incl weight of trailer. I am thinking that 6.5m is my abolute maximun, but am I being optimistic?
Remember that single axle trailer will be a lot easier to manoeuvre on the slip than a double. I don't know which will be easier to tow, having only experience with 6m single axle setups.

Quote:
Am minded to go for 4 stroke as best environment / reliability and diesel is outside my budget. Everyone seems to say the bigger the better. So I would intend to go for the maximium manufacturer rating for the rib. Is that wise?
Bigger the better, definitely true!! The engine won't be under as much stress and you will be able to cruise at lower revs. Don't rule out direct injection 2stroke such as Ficht, HPDI, Optimax. They are quite efficient too, unless you drive them really hard. Optimax probably have the best instrumentation available with Smartcraft, but I am biased!!

Good Luck with the hunt, hope it goes well for ya.

Old 24 May 2004, 10:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
Remember that single axle trailer will be a lot easier to manoeuvre on the slip than a double. I don't know which will be easier to tow, having only experience with 6m single axle setups.
Why would you go double rather than single and vv.v.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
Bigger the better, definitely true!! The engine won't be under as much stress and you will be able to cruise at lower revs. Don't rule out direct injection 2stroke such as Ficht, HPDI, Optimax. They are quite efficient too, unless you drive them really hard. Optimax probably have the best instrumentation available with Smartcraft, but I am biased!!
What is instrumentation in this context and what is Smartcraft?

Sorry to be so ignorant.

Bruce
Old 24 May 2004, 10:27   #14

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
This may help: http://www.mercurymarine.com/smartcraft
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2004, 10:57   #15

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Given that you are planning to "dunk" the trailer every launch, and you are considering towing to Scotland, I'd consider a four-wheeled trailer. Boat trailers have very poor reliability due to their frequent encounters with saltwater and many people have suffered from wheels falling off (bearing disintegration and stub axle shearing) . This could have serious consequenses on a two wheel set-up. With four wheels, the dramatic effects of the trailer hitting the tarmac can be avoided, and if you're equipped with a two-ton trolley jack, you can remove the damaged parts and proceed slowly to a more convenient place. I think the only problem will the the extra weight and cost.

Here's a story to really, really scare you (it's fictional, don't worry!) http://www.bosunsmate.co.uk/short%20story.htm

Swginn, why should a 4-wheel trailer be less manoeuverable? All the wheels are independent. The only problem we have is hitch height - our towbar is too low.

Bruce, I don't think you're over optimistic about towing a 6.5 as the 1850kg rating for your Peugeot is quite high. However, you're probably at the upper end of what's sensible. A 6.5m boat + trailer should be within the 1850kg limit by a reasonable margin I think. You just need to be selective with slipways. A friend of mine launches his 6.5m at the Yacht Club slipway at Lymington with a 2-wd BMW and doesn't have any problems (OK it's a 535 though). However, I'm going nowhere near a slipway with my 2100kg rig on the back of a 2-wd estate car.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2004, 11:09   #16

possibility

This from Ribs Marine in Christchurch. Right at the top of my budget though. Is a diesel too professional and too difficult for an amateur. It is meant to weigh whole package 1400 - cf Peugeot limit of 1850.

Raider 650 Diesel Rib

Our 6.5 metre demonstrator boat is now available for sale - spec:

Blue tubes / White Hull
1 x Mercruiser 1.7lt / 140bhp Direct injection Diesel Engine
Cruiser Console
2 x Single Pod Seats
20 Gallon Stainless Steel under deck fuel tank.
Stainless Steel A Frame
Snipe twin axle braked trailer
Only 40/50 hours.

Price: 21,900 inc.

They also have

Narwhal New Boat Package

We have one Narwhal 5.8 Metre Rib + Engine + Trailer package available a special price - spec:

1 x Mariner 75hp 2 Stroke ELPTO Outboard
Blue Tubes/ White Hull
Double jockey console
Snipe Trailer.

Price: 10,995 inc.

Which is clearly at the other end of the spectrum.

Any thoughts (and I know one person who is going to be thrilled I am considering diesel!!).

Thanks

Bruce
Old 24 May 2004, 11:14   #17

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Is a diesel too professional and too difficult for an amateur...
Only if you consider a diesel car too difficult!!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2004, 11:45   #18

Yes, but my knowledge of a diesel car extends to turning the key in the ignition, and filling up from the black pump.

With our tiny 6hp Suzuki I have already had to learn what a spark plug was when I flooded the carb.

I jest (but only a little!)
Old 24 May 2004, 11:54   #19

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Given that you are planning to "dunk" the trailer every launch, and you are considering towing to Scotland, I'd consider a four-wheeled trailer. Boat trailers have very poor reliability due to their frequent encounters with saltwater and many people have suffered from wheels falling off (bearing disintegration and stub axle shearing) .

Swginn, why should a 4-wheel trailer be less maneuverable? All the wheels are independent. The only problem we have is hitch height - our tow bar is too low.

Richard I for one do not dunk my trailer as it is a rolercoaster type which Even on a very shallow slip all I kneed to dunk is the wheel's up to the hub so keeping the bearing dry!
As fare as I know this is the hole point of them, if you want to dunk a trailer why not just get a Bunker type!
As for 4 wheel trailers I would have agree with Swginn that 2 wheels are easier to maneuver by hand than 4. I can move around very easily by hand my Rib all loaded. The 4 wheels will tend to bind if trying to turn sharply!
But I would agree you do have a bigger safety margin built in with 4 wheels
Regards
Nick
Old 24 May 2004, 12:03   #20

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
If you were to have the merc 1.7tdi it is a lot simpler than runnign a petrol outboard. You jump in the boat and you turn the key. There is no pumping fuel, opening air vents, revs, choke etc, you just turn the key.

As for the trailers i went twin axle for safty reasons and im pleased with it. Its quite a bit smoother on the road and not too difficult to manouver by hand. I have to push it into a narrow driveway each time and i just lift the jockey wheel as high as it will go and then it only rides on the back 2 wheels and is much easier to turn.