Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 20 June 2002, 19:00   #1

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Where to launch near hamble ?

or southampton area.

I am aware of boatlaunch site and have been launching boats for many years in this area, however recently Warsash which was a favourite has become a nightmare because slip has become so washed up, also having bought a much heavier boat I am sure it would be impossible for me to launch single handed there specially at high tide.

Ideally I need a better slip with more of an angle as I will no longer be able to pull the boat on my own as I used to do at warsash , the slip needs to lead onto flat water not waves as also this becomes impossible.

Any ideas, cos I could be quickly regretting buying a bigger boat and the disadvantage a deep V brings for launching, my previous Valiant used to float off in inches of water and was featherlight to handle.

( Just shows how boating is a trade off for various things )

Equally I do not have a 4 x 4 just a deisel saloon so slip cant be to steep !!!

Where do you guys think is best ?
Old 20 June 2002, 20:29   #2

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Hi Phil

I have fund all of the 'slips' aroud that area have the same problem - they are really ideal for launching small dinghies for getting the rag and stck brigade out to their yachts.

In Southampton there is the slip we used for Ribex - directly under the toll bridge. At the right state of the tide you can use the concrete slipway - but a low tides you have the same problem.

Camber Slip in Portsmouth is very good - concrete, angle etc - but of course then you have a good run around to the Hamble.

There is a nice slipway in the boatyard opposite where we launched that day we went around Southampton Water. It is directly opposite the Harbourmaster's office, and usually has a couple of Illbuck yachts there. You may be able to negotiate some sort of deal for regular launching that wouldnt be too expensive?

Good luck!

Graeme
Old 20 June 2002, 22:08   #3

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Phil,

You may like to think about Hythe marina slip. I know it's the wrong side of the water for you but it is FREE with FREE car parking. Tha facilities at the marina are quite good too (including fuel) but I'm not sure about a wash-down hose. Check out my piccy on boatlaunch.

I have launched there a couple of times (when I was buying my RIB) and found it very good - nice and wide and not too steep although at low water a bit weedy. No waves to speak of except when the wind is from the SE or the RedJet goes past.

South of Hythe Pier there is no speed limit (north and it's 6 knots)

Might be worth a viewing trip

The Pathfinder Powerboat Club regularly use Mercury on the Hamble - I believe as members they get discounted rates for launching and parking - will check this w/e

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2002, 23:14   #4

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Plenty of good advice here , however if you decide to launch under the toll bridge on the Itchen, Give us a call 0774401963 or tell su where and when and we will help you. We only live 2 minutes away and have a 4*4. The best one is at chain ferry road. hmmm yummy Itsd also very close to the best football stadium in the South

cheers
Stuart
Old 21 June 2002, 19:47   #5

Cheers

Thanks for your thoughts & particularly the offer from Wavehumper,a usefull number to keep thank you, I,ve used these slips years ago and perhaps will have to have a revisit

Used to keep my Bayliner at Merlins boatpark....ring them up & it gets craned into the water for you, luxury but at a price

Anybody had any experience of launching at public hard near Moody's boatyard on the east side of Hamble river near the Aladins Cave bridge ?

IS IT THE COUNCIL WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR UPKEEP OF WARSASH SLIP, WHAT DO YOU THINK CHANCES OF TRYING TO GET THEM TO BULLDOZE THE RECENT DEBRIS / WEED AWAY ?
Old 21 June 2002, 22:53   #6

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Phil

I have used the Public Slip at Swanwick next door to Moodys - almost opposite the Texaco garage.

On one had it is very good, concrete at the top section etc. There is a large free car park - with a section for trailers.

However, at low tides you have the same problem as at the other public slips - shallow water and rubbish.

Also, once you have launched there isn't the convenient harbour maters pontoon to get passengers aboard - you have to either wade out - or use Moodys (which they dont seem to mind - if you dont tell them that is!)

There is supposed to be another public slip futher down the road - opposite the other Aladdin's Cave site, but it is either the small strip that runs next to the road, which again is not good due to rubbish etc, or it must be inside the boatyard that is there.

Hope this helps

Happy hunting!

Graeme
Old 22 June 2002, 22:57   #7

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
You could also have a look at www.boatlaunch.co.uk All these slipways are listed and there are photographs of many of them. We have also just published the Good Launch Guide which has all the slipway details in a handy book, only £7.95. Available off the web site and an increasing number of book shops.
If you know of any slipways not mentioned on the web site or you have an update, please let us know and we will knock 25% off the price of the Good Launch Guide.

All the best,
Old 23 June 2002, 05:11   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
SLIPWAYS

Try Lee on Solent there are a cuople there too.
Old 23 June 2002, 20:24   #9

slips

ended up at Warsash again, thankfuly it has been cleared and just about managed to launch / recover my new heavyweight solo

I now feel totally knackered !

Forget the slips at Lee on Solent I keep my boat within a stones throw of there, but you have no chance of recovering a boat in waves unless you want loads of scratches from trailer,and the waves bashing your hull to bits, also too populated with the jetski brigade
Old 24 June 2002, 11:32   #10

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.55
Engine: Honda 130
There was an adequate slip at Haslar marina but I do not know if this is public or what the charges are the turn was just before you went over the bridge on the left side.

John
Old 24 June 2002, 11:42   #11

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
The Haslar slip is public as far as I know. Reasonable slip but not all states of the tide IIRC. A reasonable amount of parking in the car park at the top of the slip.

Alan