Click Here to Login

Old 25 July 2014, 17:07   #1

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Where to launch and where to stop off.

The weather tomorrow looks great, and so I am heading down to the Solent tomorrow

Two decisions. First is where to launch now that my favourite place, Camber, is out. I am a bit wary of Calshot as last time recovering in that swell was not all that great. So I was thinking of either the ramp at Crosshouse Lane, or the public hard at Warsash. Any opinions? Also Crosshouse looks dodgy at low tide - what would you think is the limit?

Will probably head over to Bembridge as the tide is right. Where is the best place to stop there for a stroll around? Likewise Newtown river?

All opinions welcome
Old 26 July 2014, 01:04   #2

Town: Burwash, East Sussex
Make: Ribcraft 6.4 Pro
Engine: Suzuki DF150
Hi.
I launched at Warsash for the first time the other day on a Sunday morning.
Parking wad no trouble and free.
Dead easy launching at low tide as the gradient is steeper toward the end, but I recovered at high tide which was a bit of a challenge with my stupid bunk trailer.
I had to push the trailer about 30m down the slip before it was deep enough to get the boat on, then luckily had a long enough rope to pull it up with the car.
I would use this slip again, but its not one I would use in the winter unless you have a drysuit!
Old 26 July 2014, 01:08   #3

Town: Burwash, East Sussex
Make: Ribcraft 6.4 Pro
Engine: Suzuki DF150
Oh and Priory Bay is our favourite place to stop. Just west of Bembridge. Nice quiet unspoilt beach. Kids love it.
Old 28 July 2014, 13:18   #4

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Engine: Suzuki 175
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the responses. In fact I launched at Crosshouse Lane, which was not bad, but I think I would have been better off at Warsash. Wibs had recommended Warsash as well. The ramp at Crosshouse is not steep enough to keep the trailer on the car, and so like Warsash, you have to push the trailer out to launch, and use a rope to recover. I found the hardest bit was hooking the trailer back on the car after recovering on the rope, as I had to back the car exactly under the hitch, as the trailer was on too much of a slope to push by hand.

Crosshouse also gives you quite a long haul up Southampton water, with the bit north of Hythe at 6 knots. So I think I'll try Warsash next.

Had a great day though. Went into Bembridge and moored up at the Seafood Cafe for a cuppa and a bowl of chips, then out to anchor off Priory Bay (been there before - one of my favourites as well).