Old 07 February 2019, 20:00   #1

Town: Peel
Boat name: Lara
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235103959
Where to do Intermediate

I’m wanting to do my Intermediate PB this year. Problem for me is that I live in the Isle of Man and nobody runs it here. That means either a trip to NI or to GB. There’s a couple in NI but there seems to be a whole host of centres around Anglesey and the Lleyn peninsula. Obviously the syllabus is standard but has anyone got a centre they can recommend, bearing in mind I’ll have to get the ferry to Liverpool, Heysham or Belfast?
Old 08 February 2019, 08:02   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I also live in Peel but unfortunately I am not a qualified instructor.
However a simple check shows these people offer PB training:

YA Powerboating – 7th Wave
RYA Powerboating – 7th Wave
Nov 30, 2011 - The RYA Powerboat Level 2 course introduces the basics of powerboating, boat-handling, safety and seamanship. Skills include close-quarters handling, high speed manoeuvres, picking up a mooring, anchoring, towing, collision regulations, man overboard recovery and more.
RYA Training Centre - IoM Yacht Club
RYA Training Centre - IoM Yacht Club
Shorebased RYA courses include Competent Crew, Day and Coastal Skipper, First Aid, VHF Short Range Certificate and Diesel Engine Maintenance. For more information, click here. The IOMYC also hosts powerboat training for safety boat volunteers, covering the RYA Powerboat Level 2 and RYA Safety Boat courses.
Learn to sail & Training - IoM Yacht Club
Learn to sail & Training - IoM Yacht Club
Learn to sail & Training. The club is a fully recognised RYA training establishment conducting a range of shorebased and practical courses for dinghies, ...
IoM Yacht Club: Home
Home - IoM Yacht Club
The club is an accredited RYA training centre offering a wide range of courses - both on and off the water - for children and adults alike. We're proud to say that ...
Maritime - University College Isle of Man
https://www.ucm.ac.im/courses/maritime/
Leisure and Recreation. RYA Day Skipper Cert. DURATION: 22 weeks, starts 12th Sept 2018. VENUE: UCM. RYA VHF Radio GMDSS Short Range Cert. DURATION: 3 days, starts 19th Jan 2019. VENUE: UCM. RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Certificate (Theory). DURATION: 22 weeks, starts 10th Sept 2018. VENUE: UCM.
7th Wave - Isle of Man
https://www.visitisleofman.com/thing...-wave-p1291391
RYA Training Centre recognised for dinghy sailing, powerboating and shorebased courses all in Port Erin, for adults and kids, families and corporate groups.
7th Wave RYA Training Centre | Isle Of Man | Isle of Man - Miquando
https://www.miquando.com/EndUser/Ser...erProfile/Mzc4
7th Wave is an RYA Recognised Training Centre, offering dinghy sailing, powerboat and shorebased courses, in Port Erin, Isle of Man. Established by Jenni ...

Good luck.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2019, 09:08   #3

Hi Brian

It’s the Intermediate course I’m after and none of those offer it. I checked again at Douglas yacht club a couple of weeks ago but it seems that it isn’t viable for anyone on island. Cheers
Old 08 February 2019, 13:29   #4
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Cant you do a more advanced one than an intermediate one?

Old 08 February 2019, 13:45   #5
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
I have just looked up the differences between Intermediate and Advanced and find there is really naff all differences (UNLESS of course you are only 16).

Anyway the Advanced Course is MUCH more fun, heavy weather driving and night driving are the two main differences. And you really need these two under your belt-so go for it.

Old 08 February 2019, 15:44   #6

I thought that you had to do Intermediate first tbh. I’d be happy to do the Advanced if I could.
Old 08 February 2019, 15:49   #7

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I would disagree with Brian and say there is quite a difference between intermediate and advanced. I did both (about ten years ago) and certainly benefited from the intermediate which focuses a lot more on navigation. I suppose it depends what your end goal is; I was doing courses for commercial reasons and thus intended to do the advanced exam (which you can do once you've completed the advanced course if you want a commercial endorsement) in order to get a commercial endorsement. The theory side of the advanced exam is the same as yachtmaster coastal so quite advanced when you consider someone's last course might have been level 2.

I certainly think the intermediate is a worth while exercise and good preparation for the advanced course.
Old 08 February 2019, 17:21   #8

Thanks Tim

Since doing PB2 I’ve done the day skipper theory and got first aid & SRC so Intermediate seemed like the next step. For me it’s about doing night passages as well as just getting better and going further. It’s only leisure for me though but I’d rather do the course.
Old 08 February 2019, 21:32   #9

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
I did my Advanced some 10 yrs ago now at plas meni on the straights near Bangor. I couldnt fault the course and the venue.

Probably they still do the intermediate , as has been said before might you consider doing the advanced, which is what I did from a level 2.
Old 09 February 2019, 00:11   #10

That good, thanks. I’ll give them a call this weekend. [emoji106]
Old 09 February 2019, 10:37   #11

Town: MORETON
Make: Tempest 520
Length: 5.2
Engine: 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewe251003 View Post
I’m wanting to do my Intermediate PB this year. Problem for me is that I live in the Isle of Man and nobody runs it here. That means either a trip to NI or to GB. There’s a couple in NI but there seems to be a whole host of centres around Anglesey and the Lleyn peninsula. Obviously the syllabus is standard but has anyone got a centre they can recommend, bearing in mind I’ll have to get the ferry to Liverpool, Heysham or Belfast?

Hi At Safer Training Sea School based at New Brighton we offer the RYA Powerboat intermediate & RYA Powerboat Advanced followed by Commercial Endorsement if required.
Brian
Give me a ring 0151 630 0466. Info@safewater.co.uk www.safewater.co.uk
Old 11 February 2019, 15:17   #12

Try iPowerboat at Ballachulish in Scotland. I did my intermediate with them a few years back, and then subsequently my advanced.

Not only is it a great school with top notch instruction but it’s in one of the UK’s most beautiful cruising grounds.
Old 11 February 2019, 15:30   #13

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 11 February 2019, 20:03   #14

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmullen View Post
Try iPowerboat at Ballachulish in Scotland. I did my intermediate with them a few years back, and then subsequently my advanced.

Not only is it a great school with top notch instruction but it’s in one of the UK’s most beautiful cruising grounds.
+1

Did my advanced and the commercial assessment with them and Ryan has the patience of a saint.
Secondary tidal port calculations....wasn't that fun?
Old 11 February 2019, 20:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
+1

Did my advanced and the commercial assessment with them and Ryan has the patience of a saint.

Secondary tidal port calculations....wasn't that fun?

You should see the fun you have for Yachtmaster Offshore, courses to steer, loads of secondary ports and blind nav. Oh the joy!
Old 14 April 2019, 21:19   #16

Just to close this off, I ended up doing the Advanced PB at Safe Water at New Brighton at the beginning of April. Good choice for me. Since it’s a commercial shipping channel, the Mersey Approaches has just about everything you need in terms of tides, buoyage, hazards and plenty of different vessel types to check your lights knowledge. Having a pilot at the instructor also helped a lot. Definitely worth doing if you want to do night passages.
Old 15 April 2019, 04:33   #17

Town: Liverpool
Boat name: Blue Mountain
Engine: Evinrude E-Tec 150
MMSI: 250004952
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewe251003 View Post
Just to close this off, I ended up doing the Advanced PB at Safe Water at New Brighton at the beginning of April. Good choice for me. Since it’s a commercial shipping channel, the Mersey Approaches has just about everything you need in terms of tides, buoyage, hazards and plenty of different vessel types to check your lights knowledge. Having a pilot at the instructor also helped a lot. Definitely worth doing if you want to do night passages.
Who was the Pilot?