Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 04 September 2009, 15:39   #21
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
just seen a boat on youtube that comes off another boats wake and throws the driver ,know its not a rib but the drivers thrown out in front of the outboard ,,,thankfully wearing kill cord and lifejacket ,, youtube type ,,,,, BASS BOAT CRASH
__________________

__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 September 2009, 16:01   #22
RIBnet supporter
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Coast
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
You mean, er, like a garter?
Wrist, arm, ankle or thigh ...... what ever floats your boat (RIB)!
__________________
250kts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2009, 11:48   #23
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
As to 250kts post, I'd tend to agree that the most important thing is that you attach the killcord to something on your person.

Once that decision is made, the argument about where to wear it becomes a bit more meaningful.

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2009, 11:02   #24
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Isle of Skye
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 40veo
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 17
When i ran tiller steering i had two kill cords clipped together for extra length, this gives more room when you're moving around and you don't have to unclip to stand up- the point when you're most likely to fall out.
__________________
bigbadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2009, 14:07   #25
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob View Post
When i ran tiller steering i had two kill cords clipped together for extra length, this gives more room when you're moving around and you don't have to unclip to stand up- the point when you're most likely to fall out.
But presumably makes it all the easier to over the stern and hit the prop whilst still connected / before the cord had killed the engine? IMHO a shorter cord is safer. You will need to disconnect it to move around the boat but that is then a conscious decision which forces you to consider the risk - and possibly put the engine in neutral or find a better time to do the task at the front.
__________________
Poly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 07:31   #26
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
just seen a boat on youtube that comes off another boats wake and throws the driver ,know its not a rib but the drivers thrown out in front of the outboard ,,,thankfully wearing kill cord and lifejacket ,, youtube type ,,,,, BASS BOAT CRASH
Here's the direct link to the video that m chappelow speaks about: (nasty)
__________________
ChuckMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 07:48   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Nasty - now I know why British boats tend to have deep Vs - see how flat bottomed that was - no wonder he lost it when he hit a small wake.
__________________
www.speedshift.co.uk
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 10:15   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Isle of Skye
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 40veo
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
But presumably makes it all the easier to over the stern and hit the prop whilst still connected / before the cord had killed the engine? IMHO a shorter cord is safer. You will need to disconnect it to move around the boat but that is then a conscious decision which forces you to consider the risk - and possibly put the engine in neutral or find a better time to do the task at the front.
Good point Polwart.
__________________
bigbadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 13:14   #29
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckMcB View Post
Here's the direct link to the video that m chappelow speaks about: (nasty)
thanks chuckmcb,,,,thats the one ,,,proof that wearing both a kill cord and a lifejacket of some sort can help save your life ,,,,i have to clip a larger carabiner onto my smaller kill cord clip as i accidently cut a finger off a couple of years ago, though had it stiched back on once my hands get cold i cannot fiddle about with the smaller stainless clips ,but at least now i can clip the carabiner onto my lifejacket harness better now ,mart ,
__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 11:46   #30
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Nasty - now I know why British boats tend to have deep Vs - see how flat bottomed that was - no wonder he lost it when he hit a small wake.
Weird people, bass fishermen. The tournament guys have smallish flat bottom boats with huge engines, usually 17 to about 20 feet, and the biggest lump possible on the back. Usually good for over 60mph, occasionally as much as 80. They run pretty much exclusively on lakes, so don't deal with lumpy water much. Theory is that for tournaments, you have to leave the marina and get out to your fishing spot before everyone else. Fair enough.

All the rec fishermen, though, see the tournament guys, and have to have the same thing ("hey, I look like a pro fisherman"!) Funny thing is, most of the actual fishing is done either on the hook or creeping around on a trolling motor. Anyway, the big motors and high speeds make for a rather risky time on a lake towards the end of the day when they're heading back in after a full day of sun and couple of cases of beer.

jky
__________________

__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.