Old 04 January 2011, 21:39   #41
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
this might sounds daft, but if most of this info (and other useful info) is already on boatlaunch then would it not be better to update / add details / amend (which boatlaunch allows anyone to do). Therefore it doesn't become one person's sole responsibility to maintain the data?
Old 04 January 2011, 21:54   #42

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Si
had a look at your updated site you have the wrong Tarbert shown it should be on Loch Fyne not Jura.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2011, 22:18   #43

Town: Looe - Plymouth
Boat name: Teal
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard Petrol 175
MMSI: 235087776
If asking wouldnt Boatlaunch be a better place, I am sure the answer would be Yes if they wanted it on their website. The reason for me embarking on this task is that I hope to do a circumnavigation of the UK in Sept 2011. I am looking into upgrading my Avon Rib for something bigger, but I ask myself do I want a petrol outboard or a diesel inboard. Where petrol is available and what range the rib needs between fuel stops is a major influence on what type of Rib I look for. So far diesel is looking the better option.

On the Boatlaunch site, you cannot just show locations with petrol available, you have to click on every shown location, then click on "more details" then scroll down the list of information to see if Petrol is sold. That is a much bigger task than this.

I imagine Boatlaunch have all the data stored in a database where it can be indexed, so I did contact Boatlaunch to ask if I could get that part of the data, and was told no, but the best way to get that information was to ask the question on Rib Net. So here we are with me putting the details on a Google Map, and hopefully I will find the right fuel and the right rib later this year.

Anyhow its good to gaze at maps of the western isles, on these long winter nights!
Old 05 January 2011, 07:41   #44

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirib View Post
If asking wouldnt Boatlaunch be a better place, I am sure the answer would be Yes if they wanted it on their website. The reason for me embarking on this task is that I hope to do a circumnavigation of the UK in Sept 2011. I am looking into upgrading my Avon Rib for something bigger, but I ask myself do I want a petrol outboard or a diesel inboard. Where petrol is available and what range the rib needs between fuel stops is a major influence on what type of Rib I look for. So far diesel is looking the better option.

On the Boatlaunch site, you cannot just show locations with petrol available, you have to click on every shown location, then click on "more details" then scroll down the list of information to see if Petrol is sold. That is a much bigger task than this.

I imagine Boatlaunch have all the data stored in a database where it can be indexed, so I did contact Boatlaunch to ask if I could get that part of the data, and was told no, but the best way to get that information was to ask the question on Rib Net. So here we are with me putting the details on a Google Map, and hopefully I will find the right fuel and the right rib later this year.

Anyhow its good to gaze at maps of the western isles, on these long winter nights!
trust me when i say, if you're going round britain make it a diesel, i've done it in both and pretol is harder to find the further away from the south coast you get
Old 05 January 2011, 12:52   #45

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Diesel based on books/stories I've read. Though the boat that went from the med to Norway before Xmas was a petrol. if you really want to use petrol, what about a support crew? They could get to almost anywhere.
Old 05 January 2011, 13:03   #46

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
trust me when i say, if you're going round britain make it a diesel, i've done it in both and pretol is harder to find the further away from the south coast you get
Although with the power of Ribnet, I have now discovered three I didn't know about since this thread started!

I reckon if this comes to it's logical conclusion and is used to combine a good plan with judicious stowing of a folding sack barrow, Petrol may not be as crazy as it sounds?
Old 05 January 2011, 13:41   #47

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
if you really want to use petrol, what about a support crew? They could get to almost anywhere.
Get Codders on the case with his Discovery, Ifor Williams trailer & 1200 litre bowser.
Old 05 January 2011, 13:45   #48

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Question to JK after Si has finished his mammoth task would it not be a good addition to Ribnet site info??
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2011, 14:08   #49

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Although with the power of Ribnet, I have now discovered three I didn't know about since this thread started!

I reckon if this comes to it's logical conclusion and is used to combine a good plan with judicious stowing of a folding sack barrow, Petrol may not be as crazy as it sounds?
support is needed, i've got tales of using aviation fuel in scrabster (top of scotland) and another time when one of our lot swam ashore with tank's, gave the tank's and money to a complete stranger and he came back, with fuel and change, trustworthy welsh for ya!
Old 11 January 2011, 12:26   #50

I've just noticed Linnhe Marine are now showing both petrol & diesel on their Website.

http://www.linnhemarina.co.uk/
Old 11 January 2011, 17:04   #51
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
I've just noticed Linnhe Marine are now showing both petrol & diesel on their Website.

http://www.linnhemarina.co.uk/
9d280, they've said that for a while. I may be wrong, but I don't think they acually have any pumps at all though, there was a small fuel store there last time I was up - but if you wanted any real amount of fuel I'd suggest calling them first. They are very helpful guys though - so I am sure could be convinced to ferry you back and forth to the garage at Appin if the price were right! Its also worth noting that, in my experience, their opening hours are somewhat less rigid than you might get at a big marina chain - so don't assume someone will still be there at 4pm on a cold wet wednesday evening...
Old 12 January 2011, 21:19   #52

Town: isles of scilly
Boat name: Still Miss behavin
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250 suzuki
st marys harbour isles of scilly

both petrol and red diesel quay side pumped... petrol £1.60 /litre
Old 13 January 2011, 07:34   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
9d280, they've said that for a while.

Yeah, I just haven't been on their website for a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Its also worth noting that, in my experience, their opening hours are somewhat less rigid than you might get at a big marina chain
That much I do know